First days with gotway ACM

Pingouin

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I always reduced my estimates because "Marty is lighter, so I must get less mileage than him" - turns out we're same weight! ACM just got better for free!:w00t2:70km is my new "optimal conditions 100% to 20% for an 80kg rider" estimate for the 1300Wh.

I have a range test tour planned (for the summer) which is right about 65km so that makes a difference.

I'm just about to take off for my weekend ride, and I'm taking my ACM. It's going to be a long ride so I'll acquire another data-point today. A sunny but chilly day here in Southern California - low 60's. I'll let you know what today's range is.

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm just about to take off for my weekend ride, and I'm taking my ACM. It's going to be a long ride so I'll acquire another data-point today. A sunny but chilly day here in Southern California - low 60's. I'll let you know what today's range is.

Enjoyed a 3-1/2 hour 43 mile ride, ending with ~10% battery under load.

Hi,

I just came back from my ride, so I've done 2h30, 43km, with a 8min climb at 17° & 27 to 38kph climb, it did beep for an instant when trying to accelerate from 32kph to 36kph, the sides of the wheel got warm but I think it's the batteries getting warm.

No cutoff, nothing failed and the wires are still covered with hot glue, doesn't look like anything has moved, the solder still look ok and pulling on the wires doesn't do anything. Maybe I'm not heavy enough but I did reach the limits of the wheel.

Hi guys, after a few more days of riding with the ACM, I've reached 250km just from my night riding, I get about 1km per percent of battery ! That would mean 80km with a safe margin, at good speeds.

I now trust it much more than before, it is very comfortable compared to my mcm4, I can now accelerate very fast, the available power is insane (due to my light weight) and I can pass a cyclist very quickly, going from 23kph to 30kph in an instant and then going back to 23kph, the wheel never beeps on me, I try avoiding getting over 36kph at max speed, and with this I feel very safe. I now cruise at about 30kph when there is a bike lane where I have great visibility, it really makes a difference compared to the 20kph cruising speed of the mcm4, I will have a hard time going back to a slower wheel after this one. It's agile enough, it has plenty of range, it has enormous power, it can go very fast or very slow, it's very predictable...I would say if it wasn't for the weight, it would be a perfect wheel !

I can't wait to try it in summer, with less clothes on, and go for 70km trips (like with my actual E-bike), or even more if I cruise at 20kph :)

8 minutes ago, Pingouin said:

Hi guys, after a few more days of riding with the ACM, I've reached 250km just from my night riding, I get about 1km per percent of battery ! That would mean 80km with a safe margin, at good speeds.

I now trust it much more than before, it is very comfortable compared to my mcm4, I can now accelerate very fast, the available power is insane (due to my light weight) and I can pass a cyclist very quickly, going from 23kph to 30kph in an instant and then going back to 23kph, the wheel never beeps on me, I try avoiding getting over 36kph at max speed, and with this I feel very safe. I now cruise at about 30kph when there is a bike lane where I have great visibility, it really makes a difference compared to the 20kph cruising speed of the mcm4, I will have a hard time going back to a slower wheel after this one. It's agile enough, it has plenty of range, it has enormous power, it can go very fast or very slow, it's very predictable...I would say if it wasn't for the weight, it would be a perfect wheel !

I can't wait to try it in summer, with less clothes on, and go for 70km trips (like with my actual E-bike), or even more if I cruise at 20kph :)

Glad that it's the wheel that you had hoped it would be. You're really putting the miles on :cheers:

Thank you Marty, there is still one thing I fear, it's that the failure that occured with my ancient F528 happens to this one while speeding, I mean not just a cut off, but a mainboard that fries with no warning, no beeps...

But I try to convince myself that it's not going to happen, with my mcm4, nothing happened that wasn't my fault for now, so I gain confidence but I still have this little fear, I wouldn't want to be handicap for the reste of my life because of too much trust ^^

17 minutes ago, Pingouin said:

Thank you Marty, there is still one thing I fear, it's that the failure that occured with my ancient F528 happens to this one while speeding, I mean not just a cut off, but a mainboard that fries with no warning, no beeps...

But I try to convince myself that it's not going to happen, with my mcm4, nothing happened that wasn't my fault for now, so I gain confidence but I still have this little fear, I wouldn't want to be handicap for the reste of my life because of too much trust ^^

There is a little bit fear in back of my head when I'm cruising at high speed, but at well over a thousand miles I've yet to have any problems. I do with with full protection all the time, so if I do have a failure hopefully it won't handicap me :unsure:

Just now, Marty Backe said:

There is a little bit fear in back of my head when I'm cruising at high speed, but at well over a thousand miles I've yet to have any problems. I do with with full protection all the time, so if I do have a failure hopefully it won't handicap me :unsure:

The thing is..and I know it's not the best thing but I will explain myself..I don't ride with protections !

I see a major disadvantages to having protections (this isonly my opinion), the helmet has caused me a bad accident (on a bicycle) because I don't really know why, but I seem to "see" less informations about the road when wearing one, I've riddent several times with a helmet and each time I figured out that I am less cautious, and having one also means I will feel safer, and so go faster.

For other protections, I just don't like having them on because I sweat very quicky when wearing them, and I enjoy the freedom of feeling "light" on my wheel. I know this is not a great argument, but because I never had a bad accident on my wheel, I don't feel like having protections would help me, because the only bad accidents I had on my bicycle where when I was wearing protections...if that makes sense ^^

4 minutes ago, Pingouin said:

The thing is..and I know it's not the best thing but I will explain myself..I don't ride with protections !

I see a major disadvantages to having protections (this isonly my opinion), the helmet has caused me a bad accident (on a bicycle) because I don't really know why, but I seem to "see" less informations about the road when wearing one, I've riddent several times with a helmet and each time I figured out that I am less cautious, and having one also means I will feel safer, and so go faster.

For other protections, I just don't like having them on because I sweat very quicky when wearing them, and I enjoy the freedom of feeling "light" on my wheel. I know this is not a great argument, but because I never had a bad accident on my wheel, I don't feel like having protections would help me, because the only bad accidents I had on my bicycle where when I was wearing protections...if that makes sense ^^

I would be very nervous if I were you. Everyone gets to choose how they ride, and I'm certainly OK with that. But me personally, I only ride with ATGATT.

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I would be very nervous if I were you. Everyone gets to choose how they ride, and I'm certainly OK with that. But me personally, I only ride with ATGATT.

I agree with you, I wouldn't recommend to anyone not wearing protections, it's just my brain that is actually stuck by it's past experience with bikes and protection (protections = danger), and I am nervous when riding above 27kph, that may be why I ride slower than you.

Archived