Ninebot One E+ at -25°C

Radislav

3 hours ago, Radislav said:

How long it will go when it's freezing cold outside.

The Ninebot performed great! I noticed you are very skillful in jumping up and down curbs! I was very impressed with how smoothly the Ninebot traveled on the areas that had some snow. I have not been successful on surfaces that have snow on them. Sooner or later my wheel hits ice under the snow and slips.

A very well made video!!! Almost poetic:D Winter and snow riding has a special quality. And you have quite some skills. Nice app tips too.

Qs:

What kind of helmet is this? And how did your feet not freeze? And your legs, you wear anything under the jeans other than knee pads?

Did you ever ride on a frozen river/lake? I would do that in an instant if I could.

Do you worry about road salt, is that a thing to consider?

Thank you, guys! :)

9b1 exceeded my expectations in deed. I thought it would go 10 km max in -25°C. 

Moscow authorities use quite an advanced anti-ice chemistry on the roads and pavements. That's why it's not slippery here in winter. Nevertheless we drive carefully leaning the body less.

I am trying to keep my Ninebot clean inside by washing it in a bathroom twice a week with strong and warm jet of water into the gap between the chassis and the wheel to prevent the salt to do any harm to the wheel.

I have thermo protection underwear made for alpine skiing. 2 pairs of thick socks too. So I don't feel cold too much. In most cases, the temperature in Moscow in winter is 0...-15°C. The pleasure of riding a unicycle worths that a lot! :)

I am an ex pro speed skater. That's why I am not afraid to jump out on a flat ice. As to EUC, it looses grip on a clean and flat ice only. If an ice is not that perfect, a unicycle behaves well and slips much less than a human foot. I explain it to myself by the fact that specific pressure of the wheel down to the surface is much higher in this case, especially when you lower a tyre pressure a bit.

4 hours ago, Radislav said:

I explain it to myself by the fact that specific pressure of the wheel down to the surface is much higher in this case, especially when you lower a tyre pressure a bit.

Lower tyre pressure means however lower specific pressure on the surface, not higher specific pressure. In any case, adhesion is in general considered to be independent of the size of the contact patch! It mainly depends on the down force and the involved materials. Why is walking more slippery? Taking steps during walking involves lateral forces which is how friction can be lost. Tyre rubber may also be superior to sole rubber. Lowering the tyre pressure has probably the advantage to lead to less compression and to less shoving of the snow.

Yes, that's right. When considering that the contact spot of the (even down-pressured to 2 atm) wheel is nearly twice as narrower as a foot - the down force is twice as much for the wheel. Plus we have all the body weight on this single spot instead of two spots for two legs - this gives the wheel a result of 4 times stronger down force than a foot. Plus better rubber grip. Conclusion: electric unicycle is the safest vehicle on the planet :)))) It should definitely help to sell them.

6 hours ago, Radislav said:

Yes, that's right. When considering that the contact spot of the (even down-pressured to 2 atm) wheel is nearly twice as narrower as a foot - the down force is twice as much for the wheel. Plus we have all the body weight on this single spot instead of two spots for two legs - this gives the wheel a result of 4 times stronger down force than a foot.

Not really, sorry for the bad news. The down force is the same, independently of how large the contact patch is. We do not talk about the pressure which depends on the patch size, we talk about the force which is pretty much equivalent to weight here. Weight does not dependent on what we stand on. So decreasing (or increasing) the contact patch size doesn't help. Increasing the weight also does not help. While it increases adhesion it also increases the moments we want/need to control with the adhesion.

Sure, that is the definition of pressure. But pressure is not the determining factor for adhesion or friction. Determining is pressure times area, which is pounds per square inch times square inch, which is pounds.

If we could increase friction by making the contact patch size smaller, formula one car tyres would certainly look entirely different.

@Radislav, I never wanted to suggest that your observation is wrong, I only suggested that we would need a different explanation, one which does not contradict widely accepted physical models (and I suggested two possible explanations which, AFAICS, do not contradict known physics).

If you bought a set of those larger side panels from @1RadWerkstatt, there would be enough room next to the battery to plop in a chemical hand warmer pack or maybe one of those butane hand warmers.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5014-829/Hand-Warmer

I don't know how safe that would be with the butane burning inside an enclosure, but maybe with some venting slots cut into the side panels it might be okay?  

There are also those reuseable warmers (snap the metal disc to activate / boil to melt the crystals to reuse) that last for about an hour.  That might be the simplest solution, but you would still need some room to sandwich them around the battery.

https://www.amazon.com/ReDo-Reusable-Warmer-Emergency-Zone/dp/B01HOXM0OE

10 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

ILYA2606 on the Ninebot App , is from Moscow . Recently ranked 36 in total miles.

They rolled big miles and mono biathlon awhile ago.

img_1487976162580.jpg

EUC with friends, nice!

EUCs with friends and pretty girls, wonderful!

EUCs with friends and pretty girls, and semi auto pistols and high capacity machine pistols, priceless! ?

On 24.02.2017 at 5:18 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

If you bought a set of those larger side panels from @1RadWerkstatt, there would be enough room next to the battery...

I've been thinking of buying his 704 Wh battery extension kit. I even artificially enlarged the side cushions to try them on my shins. It felt comfortable but the price didn't :)  considering that my Ninebot will not ride faster afterwards anyway. 

I think the stock cushions have enough space to accommodate electric insoles stuck to the battery to keep it warm. The energy they take of the Ninebot's battery should be much less than the energy the battery looses when it's freezing cold outside. I will write here when it's done, I think it will be interesting mod because not everyone rides in California.

11 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

ILYA2606 on the Ninebot App , is from Moscow . Recently ranked 36 in total miles.

Yes, that's him. His Ninebot One has nearly 4000 total mileage that can be seen in the rating in Ninebot official app. 

His DarknessBot app is available on the Apple AppStore now. The version 1.0 supports Ninebot EUCs except A1/S2. Version 1.1 exists in beta status now adding read-only support for Inmotions, GotWay's and Kingsongs. 

On 2/12/2017 at 8:49 PM, Radislav said:

How long it will go when it's freezing cold outside.

The Moscow State University webcam has been available for viewing for years. A quick look a few minutes ago shows snow still on the ground, looking toward the river from the tower.

Locally in the Boston, Massachusetts area a spring like heat wave has lifted temperatures to the 50's F (or 11 C).

http://cam.mnc.ru

My phone is Android so the app isn't available.

Nice video !

Screenshot_2017-02-25-10-14-55.png

16 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

The Moscow State University webcam has been available for viewing for years. A quick look a few minutes ago shows snow still on the ground, looking toward the river from the tower.

Locally in the Boston, Massachusetts area a spring like heat wave has lifted temperatures to the 50's F (or 11 C).

http://cam.mnc.ru

My phone is Android so the app isn't available.

Nice video !

Thanks :) Moscow weather gives us no heat waves yet. The temperature dropped from 0 to -5°C after 2 days of wet snow making all the pavements extremely icy. Nevertheless a few brave unicyclers went for a group ride today, some of them on spikes, to show to the weather who is the boss :) 

About 2001 I found a bunch of sketches on a Russian Academy of Sciences website. This one looks appropriate. 

О 2001 я нашел кучу эскизов на русском академии наук сайте. Это выглядит целесообразным.

winter_evning_full.jpg

Archived