ACM 16 cannot switch off the device

Hello,

A week ago I installed on my ACM 16 a new 16-mosfet pcb, which was sent by Gotway after one of the eight MOSFETs on the old pcb blew out. After two days of happy riding since yesterday evening I experience a strange problem. The device cannot be switched off in a usual way by holding down the power switch. It can be turned on, the lights work, but when its on it is not possible to turn it off.

The only way to turn it off is to lift it from the ground, wait for it to switch off the motor and then during the beeps to hold the switch down. Then it switches off.

I re-calibrated the ACM, unplugged the battery from the board, drained the power but nothing changed - it still cannot be turned off the usual way.

Very strange and super problematic. Does somebody has and idea how this could be fixed. Maybe I have a bad luck with those pcb, maybe this one is faulty again, or maybe it is a firmware issue?

Best,

Theo

Very weird behaviour, especially if it was working at first and if you can turn the wheel back on. The first thing I'd check is whether there's no water/mud accumulated on any of the exposed connectors/pcb. For example, on my MCM4 some mud got into the connection at the end of the LED strip causing some weird wheel behaviour. Cleaning it and covering the semi-exposed connection and gap in the shell behind it in hot glue fixed it for good. The second thing I'd check is the power button, cable and plug connecting it to the PCB. e.g. see if you can turn the wheel off by directly shorting the pins on the plug. If all that doesn't solve it, it may be something with the PCB or a faulty firmware version.

maybe the control board "thinks" that the wheel is not at zero speed, even when it is. That would explain the behaviour, because the off switch is supposed to work only at zero speed. 

• 2 months later...

I am suffering this problem of being unable to switch off my brand new (unridden) ACM 1600Wh.  Here are the two videos I've made so far to try to show Gotway what's happening:

This one is the initial explanation after I'd tried to charge it for about 6 hours (note that it was still displaying far from fully charged at that point):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBjz8L0lkYw

and this one shows the problem is still there after the battery is disconnected:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7RYD9bCEQ4

I've also tried leaving it disconnected for a couple of hours but the result is the same.

I'm curious if you found a definite solution.

Does it do the same thing while it is plugged into the charger?  Maybe check the control board to see if there is anything shorting out some contacts?  That's weird that you can turn it on, but not turn it off.  It appears like the switch is working as it pages through the different headlight modes.  Did you check to see if there are any shorts in the wiring?  Maybe trace the wiring that goes from the power switch all the way to the control board for any insulation damage.

The main board obviously (beep) know you are pressing the power button. So, the problem is in the main board, not in the wiring I guess. Somewhere in the chip which should decide about long press (on / off) and short press (light).

• 3 weeks later...

Carlos, is there something in particular you mean I should look for?  This is a brand new, never ridden machine.  

I'm familiar with building my own computers so I'm assuming the connections will all be quite straightforward.  I will check for any signs of bent or burned pins.

Hopefully is just a bad connection. Look carefully at the power button harness. Make sure no pins are bent. And see that the pins don't slide up and down in the shell of the connector on the wire harness when the harness is not connected to the board. 

Take nice pictures and post. 

On 4/19/2017 at 1:15 PM, Ant said:

I am suffering this problem of being unable to switch off my brand new (unridden) ACM 1600Wh.  Here are the two videos I've made so far to try to show Gotway what's happening:

This one is the initial explanation after I'd tried to charge it for about 6 hours (note that it was still displaying far from fully charged at that point):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBjz8L0lkYw

and this one shows the problem is still there after the battery is disconnected:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7RYD9bCEQ4

I've also tried leaving it disconnected for a couple of hours but the result is the same.

I'm curious if you found a definite solution.

It looks like your hall circuit isbnot working. Check the connnector to hall. It's the smaller cable going. To the inside of the wheel. 

Check the connector and the pins. 

Take close up pictures of the connector for the power switch and for the hall circuit. 

But i believe it's the hall circuit. I think the computer thinks that the wheel is not stopped yet. 

Maybe the App will show that. 

I will do that Carlos. Thank-you for the tip.  I probably won't have time until the weekend but it would be great if I could find and fix the problem without replacing the board.

I had checked when this happened that whether the app showed a non-zero speed.  It was showing zero.

FIXED

While removing the initial board (remember this was a brand new unridden ACM 1600Wh) I checked for any visibly loose or bad connections or bent pins and found nothing. It all seemed solidly connected.

I installed a replacement board from Gotway (via SpeedyFeet). The On/Off/Light-switching now operates exactly as it should.

I only had time to ride about 6 miles today but it was nice to finally find that the solution in my case was a replacement board. I changed nothing else.

Archived