Some first impressions and questions about my new ACM... (first wheel!)

meepmeepmayer

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Ok, this just got more confusing.

I charged the wheel overnight (10h, despite the charger being green = finished) with another power cable for the charger (2m instead of 2.5m) and now the battery is at about 82% (wheellog) or 80% (GW ES app) and the voltage is 63.5 (higher, wheellog). The uppermost green LED is also partially full now.

I changed the power outlet and now I'm going to see what will happen.:huh::huh::huh: Also I'll try to find an even shorter power cable...

Dont worry to much!!!

First: you must have an app versions that works with the 84Volt Version... and you will have not!....there are existing versions of both apps which do.......but better talk with someone who got such a version which definitely works with 84volt...i have no knowledge here where to get....

A Voltage of 63,5 on a 84Volt wheel would mean a percentage about 5% ....haha...so you see that your app numbers are totally crap in the moment...

your wheel is working on a voltage between (about !!!) 60-84Volt.....

So i would guess your real voltage after green light is now 83,5 volt and not 63,5 Volt....electro-sport app definitly does not work with 84volt....wheellog only special or newest version...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

aaaah:

And my guess on : the first green LED was not lit...(on first try)

sometimes the charge connection on the charge port of the wheel is very flumsy! so it might be because of a "short"-wackelkontakt :-) that at first you did not get it to fuel , and that the light changed to green on charger!

@KingSong69Thanks for your info!

As Marty said, "the wheel does not lie" - at first the LED was off and now it's only partially on so that's what's bothering me and making me believe it is not fully loaded.

Wheellog is from the Play Store (Android), isn't that up to date?

I don't think it's a loose charging port connection, I plugged the cable in so often already and nothing changed.

I will try the official latest Gotway app later (2.11 or something like that), right now I'm trying a shorter cable. Update then... thanks again!:thumbup:

50 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@KingSong69Thanks for your info!

As Marty said, "the wheel does not lie" - at first the LED was off and now it's only partially on so that's what's bothering me and making me believe it is not fully loaded.

Wheellog is from the Play Store (Android), isn't that up to date?

I don't think it's a loose charging port connection, I plugged the cable in so often already and nothing changed.

I will try the official latest Gotway app later (2.11 or something like that), right now I'm trying a shorter cable. Update then... thanks again!:thumbup:

there was someone on Facebook..."starbros david lee"....i guess was it, who made special version of wheellog for 84Volt, and shared this.

what gets to my mind also: Allways plug in the charger to power socket first, after that  the charger to the wheel. not otherwise!

3 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

there was someone on Facebook..."starbros david lee"....i guess was it, who made special version of wheellog for 84Volt, and shared this.

Good to know, but I'll just go with the official Gotway app soon.

3 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

what gets to my mind also: Allways plug in the charger to power socket first, after that  the charger to the wheel. not otherwise!

Yep, I already read this and follow it religiously, thanks!

Could in theory the wheel be damaged or is it just "sparks" and that's it?

5 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Ok, this just got more confusing.

I charged the wheel overnight (10h, despite the charger being green = finished) with another power cable for the charger (2m instead of 2.5m) and now the battery is at about 82% (wheellog) or 80% (GW ES app) and the voltage is 63.5 (higher, wheellog). The uppermost green LED is also partially full now.

I changed the power outlet and now I'm going to see what will happen.:huh::huh::huh: Also I'll try to find an even shorter power cable...

Even if the charger is green it still may charge, just with a low current. On my charger is written: green light means >=0.4A. This I also verified with the charge doctor. So getting more charge in under green light is not a surprise but normal and has probably nothing to do with the cable. Still, if the battery is not close to 100%, the charger should not go green in the first place.  

44 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Good to know, but I'll just go with the official Gotway app soon.

Yep, I already read this and follow it religiously, thanks!

Could in theory the wheel be damaged or is it just "sparks" and that's it?

I don't know in theory, but it seems very unlikely that you are able to damage the wheel like this in practice, as many people either don't know this or do not follow it religiously. It might shorten the life span of the charger though. 

@Mono The charge won't go above 80% according to the old apps, even after like 20 hours. So either that number is wrong or something else.

--

I tried to install the current Gotway app 2.11 and it says "motor code wrong" at the registration. motor code = the numeric part of serial number right?

:crying::furious:starting to get pissed, I only want to know the wheel is ok so I can finally take it outside!

Thanks for your help everyone!

22 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

When you use the "newest" Gotway app -where you have to Register with your telephone number and motornumber(only use the 9 Digits)....remember everything(telephone + Password) good and exactly on registering process....as your Motor number can be only registered once!!!

9 digits? The serial is ACM and then 7 digits, do I just add 00 in front?

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The app finally works... and shows 80% battery (absolutely fully loaded it jumps between 80 and 90):crying::furious:

Going to write the speedyfeet guys on monday, nothing else to do.

Here is another possibility though: the level measurements for the battery might need some self-adjustment over the first few charge cycles. Or even the batteries need a few cycles to get their full range (it seems there are different opinions on whether this is actually the case). 

Writing this now, I am actually not sure, whether I saw something similar on my V8 in the very beginning. I remember there was something odd with the charge levels in the beginning, but I can't remember what it was.

6 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

The Wheellog app currently available from the author does work with the newer 84v wheels, in terms of battery level. It doesn't provide accurate voltage readings, but all I use it for is the speed and battery percentage.

Gotway finally got their act together with the 84v wheels - you no longer have to plug the charger in first to avoid the spark. Hooray for small miracles :)

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The app finally works... and shows 80% battery (absolutely fully loaded it jumps between 80 and 90):crying::furious:

Don't wait until Monday. From my experience Ian (who is Speedyfeet) is often working during the weekend (he shipped my last wheel on a Sunday). Shoot him an e-mail ASAP. He also has a dedicated Facebook page. Frankly, I would be having this whole discussion there because you're apt to get faster responses. For some reason Ian doesn't participate in this Forum :huh:

5 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

i would bet it is at maximum a defect charger, that only gives out 80volts or so!

so try to stay relaxed...as the wheel is working and you are able to learn :-)

as there are BMS's controlling the batterie.....they would stop the wheel from working with a defect batterie!!!

i can think about no idea where the wheel/ batterie with 20s 6paralell which btw are all connected just would acept a 80% charge....so like said: maximum of charger is to low....

do you have a multimeter to check the voltage the charger gives out?

this "little nerving things" like the stupid registration process...or some little quality probs.....we all have to deal with :-)

As GW is best known for its high performance motors....and not for any other experiences ;-)

31 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Don't wait until Monday. From my experience Ian (who is Speedyfeet) is often working during the weekend (he shipped my last wheel on a Sunday). Shoot him an e-mail ASAP. He also has a dedicated Facebook page. Frankly, I would be having this whole discussion there because you're apt to get faster responses. For some reason Ian doesn't participate in this Forum :huh:

what i can totally understand....

He would never stop working and answering questions....and as he has a Family to go i understand this "cut"...

Yep I didn't want to write on the weekend. I already ordered last Saturday morning and they shipped on Sunday - felt bad about this. So this time I'll wait til monday. I have to empty the batteries tomorrow anyways to see if the charge goes higher when I charge then.

I was just worried about taking the wheel outside (and scratching it up and dirt and road salt etc) until I know there's no problem and I won't have to send it back. Right now I'm wobbling through the house (great motivator - don't break any glass and furniture;)) and outside can wait another day...

Question: is the uppermost LED in multiple parts? When I was at 70% it was off, now at 80 it looks like the lower half is lit and the upper half is off. Is there an upper half that can be on? It's hard to see in the picture but the other LEDs are "fuller" than the uppermost.

--

@KingSong69 no multimeter, charge doctor or anything else. Maybe I should get one, if only out of curiosity.

And yes, GW is not the overall "best experience" brand, that was clear from the beginning -  just watch the yt videos of their factory which looks a little sketchy;) As long as the wheels are safe and work...

IMG_20170128_083147.jpg

3 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I have to empty the batteries tomorrow anyways to see if the charge goes higher when I charge then.

??? you have to? there is no memory effect on those batteries...in general dont try to go to 0%...

best batterie life is to be expected if hold between 20-80%....so in fact you are very Ok ;-)

the led i dont know exactly....but i think its just "on is on"....

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

The Wheellog app currently available from the author does work with the newer 84v wheels, in terms of battery level. It doesn't provide accurate voltage readings, but all I use it for is the speed and battery percentage.

If it doesn't provide accurate voltage readings it is a little mysterious how it could provide accurate battery levels. AFAIK, and please correct me if I am wrong, battery percentage displays are solely based on voltage readings.

@KingSong69 I didn't mean 0% empty (I know that's bad), just maybe 50% so I see if a new charge makes a difference in the max % I get.

Btw, the batteries' charge cycles, are they counted in time/% (so charging from 20 to 70 would be half a cycle) or are they counted "how often was the charger plugged in and charged at least a bit" (like planes, every flight is one cycle due to air pressure hull stress, regardless if it's a 1 hour or 15 hour flight)? 

Archived