Some first impressions and questions about my new ACM... (first wheel!)

meepmeepmayer

update: first ride, with some impressions and photos, page 4

update2: some more rides, with ACM infos, pg 4 and 5

Got my very first wheel yesterday (ACM16 1300 Wh) and did some short indoor attempts. So no outdoor experience yet.

First thought: holy **** it's heavy. How do you even keep it from falling over when you're standing:shock2: wow.

Also turning, lol, very subtle movement needed or it will fall on your foot.

I'm getting used to this beast already though, and it's great fun.

A lighter wheel would certainly be better for beginners (definitely not something for light kids) but I wanted the range and power. It's definitely a serious wheel. And pretty, the white sides make it less monotone than the lower capacity ACMs (imho, the stealth-like all black ACMs aren't bad too).

The width of the wheel is no problem at all, it does not feel too wide between the legs and could still be wider without issues. The pedals are wider than I expected and feel very safe to stand on, you certainly don't fear slipping off them.

For people concerned about the high pitched motor whine (like me), it's a non issue. The whine is not annoying (it's not that high) and I really didn't notice it after stepping on the wheel, even indoors. With outside sounds and the tire on the road noise I don't think one will notice it without actively remembering it's there.

--

Some questions. These are of the kind "I know it's probably ok but someone please tell me it's ok":)

1. (up: that is as it should be) When you rotate the tire (on of off) slowly or when the tire rotates slowly when changing direction from forwards to backards and vice versa, there's some kind of "rattling" sound. A bit like dragging something ridged across a hard surface/corner.

When I step on it (weight) that sound gets louder/more notable.

I'm pretty sure it's only the static friction (for lack of a better term) from the magnets against the spools that needs to be overcome at very low speeds. It does not sound "bad" or "scary" but there definitely is an unexpected rattle-like sound the new wheel does and I want to make sure that's ok and I don't damage anything.

Confirmation on that would be very much appreciated:)

2. When the wheel is off and you rotate the tire, it definitely won't turn freely (like a bike). It just stops very soon. That is normal, right?

--

Anybody having questions about the ACM 1300 Wh themselves I'll be happy to answer them.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

2. When the wheel is off and you rotate the tire, it definitely won't turn freely (like a bike). It just stops very soon. That is normal, right?

yes

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

1. When you rotate the tire (on of off) slowly or when the tire rotates slowly when changing direction from forwards to backards and vice versa, there's some kind of "rattling" sound. A bit like dragging something ridged across a hard surface/corner.

I'm pretty sure it's only the static friction (for lack of a better term) from the magnets against the spools that needs to be overcome at very low speeds. It does not sound "bad" or "scary" but there definitely is an unexpected rattle-like sound the new wheel does and I want to make sure that's ok and I don't damage anything.

Normal...what your are Hearing is the Motor working "hard"...

For the app: Some People reported Problems in Setting the tiltback higher than 30kmh on the last android app Version...

IF you ever got Problems in Setting the alarms and/or tiltback try a friends Iphone then.

When you use the "newest" Gotway app -where you have to Register with your telephone number and motornumber(only use the 9 Digits)....remember everything(telephone + Password) good and exactly on registering process....as your Motor number can be only registered once!!!

the phone number u use will be later your "Login ID"....so dont use "+" or anything in it

One small view in the future:

When you CAN drive a Little bit....for some 100 meters or longer....you automatically will start trying driving faster:

What will happen in the beginning.......is that if you go faster: You can/will get a whobbling wheel....

You might think that is because of the wheel is not perfect round, but:

That's (99%) just a total normal beginner effect...and it will leave when you get more experienced!

Thank you so much, I can try it outside now I know it won't be damaged!!! (or only damaged from road salt:cry2:)

Yea I'm wondering if I should use an older GW app, but for now I'm ignoring the app. Is there any way to reset the wheel to factory conditions if you ever want to?

About the wobble, not sure how that will turn out but I'll see...

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

1. When you rotate the tire (on of off) slowly or when the tire rotates slowly when changing direction from forwards to backards and vice versa, there's some kind of "rattling" sound. A bit like dragging something ridged across a hard surface/corner.

I read a post here recently where someone got a new Kingsong 14c and it made a grinding noise when the wheel turned. To cut a long story short, there were two loose washers rattling around inside and because he kept riding it or turning the wheel, the motor was damaged beyond repair.

I would find a way to make sure you do not have a foreign body in your motor.  Shaking it won't work because anything iron based will stick to the magnets, and not rattle. With the motor off, place it on its side.  Turn the wheel slowly by hand in one direction only, and then quickly in the same direction for at least one rotation.  turn it the other way the same amount.  Now rock the wheel backwards and forwards.  In all instances all you should hear is the whine of the motor as the coils cross the magnets, the faster you turn the wheel the higher pitched the sound is.  You should hear nothing else. If you hear something else, you may have a problem that might destroy your motor. DO NOT USE IT UNTIL YOU CONTACT YOUR SELLER, AND GET INSTRUCTIONS.  Failing that, they may claim wilful damage and void the warrantee.  Don't take any chances.

i just did this with my motor ( 800km+) and it sounded just as I described to you above, no other sounds what so ever. It sounded sweet, and pure business.

@Smoother Thank you very much for the detailed instructions!

I did what you said and could not produce any rattling. The "rattling" (not rattling like a loose part in somewhere, just no longer a smooth continuous sound) I described is just the sound of the tire turning when the turning becomes really slow and I was wondering if that's how it's supposed to be because it sounded so strange and unexpected. It's a very uniform thing and it completely vanishes at slightly higher rpm (it just becomes the regular rotation/motor sound then) so I can't see how this could possibly be some loose parts inside.

I was just wondering and wanted to be better safe than sorry so I asked. Thanks to @KingSong69 and you I'm quite sure everything is as it should be and it's just the lower end of what the discrete magnets can do in terms of smooth wheel movement.

Don't want to sound like a broken record because I say this to every new person who posts a 'first wheel' experience, but.....

Invest in a good track pump! (If you haven't got one already).

Tire Pressure is EVERYTHING. It can radically alter the surface area of the wheel on the ground, which is an especially big deal when learning.

Keep it around 38-41psi when learning and increase it to 50-55psi when you are experienced.

( I define experienced as: able to mount without holding anything 100% of the time, even if inebriated ?)

5 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Got my very first wheel yesterday (ACM16 1300 Wh) and did some short indoor attempts. So no outdoor experience yet.

First thought: holy **** it's heavy. How do you even keep it from falling over when you're standing:shock2: wow.

Also turning, lol, very subtle movement needed or it will fall on your foot.

I'm getting used to this beast already though, and it's great fun.

A lighter wheel would certainly be better for beginners (definitely not something for light kids) but I wanted the range and power. It's definitely a serious wheel. And pretty, the white sides make it less monotone than the lower capacity ACMs (imho, the stealth-like all black ACMs aren't bad too).

The width of the wheel is no problem at all, it does not feel too wide between the legs and could still be wider without issues. The pedals are wider than I expected and feel very safe to stand on, you certainly don't fear slipping off them.

For people concerned about the high pitched motor whine (like me), it's a non issue. The whine is not annoying (it's not that high) and I really didn't notice it after stepping on the wheel, even indoors. With outside sounds and the tire on the road noise I don't think one will notice it without actively remembering it's there.

--

Some questions. These are of the kind "I know it's probably ok but someone please tell me it's ok":)

--

Anybody having questions about the ACM 1300 Wh themselves I'll be happy to answer them.

Congrat's on receiving the wheel. All sorts of fun is headed your way. My very first wheel was also the ACM. I actually think that it's an easier wheel to learn on then a more twitchy 14" or similar wheel.

The motor contains many rare-earth magnets. As you rotate the wheel it will 'stick' each time the magnets pass by the coils. So yes, the wheel will not freely rotate because of all this resistance. And when it's powered on and you're just standing there slightly moving back and forth, you will hear grinding type sounds. It's just the motor doing it's thing.

11 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

Don't want to sound like a broken record because I say this to every new person who posts a 'first wheel' experience, but.....

Invest a good track pump! (If you haven't got one already).

Tire Pressure is EVERYTHING. It can radically alter the surface area of the wheel on the ground, which is an especially big deal when learning.

Keep it around 38-41psi when learning and increase it to 50-55psi when you are experienced.

( I define experienced as: able to mount without holding anything 100% of the time, even if inebriated ?)

Most of the wheels that I received had low tire pressure, including my ACMs. So definitely check the pressure as recommended here.

But note that all wheels are not the same. Check the ratings listed on the side of your tire. Some have maximum PSI ratings of 45, some 65, etc.  So you can't use generic tire pressure advice given here, except the general point that the pressures will affect your riding experience. I like all mine filled to their maximum pressure.

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Most of the wheels that I received had low tire pressure, including my ACMs. So definitely check the pressure as recommended here.

But note that all wheels are not the same. Check the ratings listed on the side of your tire. Some have maximum PSI ratings of 45, some 65, etc.  So you can't use generic tire pressure advice given here, except the general point that the pressures will affect your riding experience. I like all mine filled to their maximum pressure.

True, but a lot (all?) of these wheels are wheels really meant for children’s mountain bikes.

This means:

1) They’re of the low-pressure variety.

2) The PSI they quote on the tire will be a recommendation based on bodyweight spread over two wheels (i.e. on a bike), not one wheel that your weight is directly over.

My tire says 35-45, but I get optimal performance at around 58psi with no problems. Don’t have the balls to push it further than that though.

But yeah, I take your point.

@Paddylaz Thanks, I have one of these explosives detonator style bike pumps and one with a foot pedal so I should be good.

I don't suppose there is a serious (and small) portable pump, is there?

About pressure, the speedyfeet guys pumped it up pretty good. What is the point of lower tire pressure, more stability against tipping sideways? I know it's better for off road but I don't need that right now...

@Marty Backe Marty, thanks! "Grinding" is exactly the right word. Which also explains why I was concerned whether it should be that way, because that sound spooked me a little.

I'm surprised to learn the ACM was your first. I assumed (according to your signature) the Kingsong/Generic was the starting point. Why did you buy the KS after the ACM, you wanted to try a 14 inch wheel? Lighter?

--

Unfortunately I had too much other stuff to do today but tomorrow the plan is to take the wheel outside. Now the next step is safety gear, I'm still wondering what type of helmet is best.

25 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@Paddylaz Thanks, I have one of these explosives detonator style bike pumps and one with a foot pedal so I should be good.

About pressure, the speedyfeet guys pumped it up pretty good. What is the point of lower tire pressure, more stability against tipping sideways? I know it's better for off road but I don't need that right now...

I'm not sure about the different pumps available, but as long as it has a proper needle/digital gauge, you should be good to go.

The lower the tire pressure, the larger the surface area. Simply put, more of the wheel is on the ground. This is good for learning. However once you're experienced, you want it nice and tight (in my opinion) as it makes turns/slaloms/tricks/manoeuvres sharper.

Apparently the higher the pressure, the LESS chance you have of puncture, too. I'm not sure of the science behind this, but I think I remember someone reputable on the forum explaining it. Higher pressure will also increase your range a little.

18 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@Marty Backe Marty, thanks! "Grinding" is exactly the right word. Which also explains why I was concerned whether it should be that way, because that sound spooked me a little.

I'm surprised to learn the ACM was your first. I assumed (according to your signature) the Kingsong/Generic was the starting point. Why did you buy the KS after the ACM, you wanted to try a 14 inch wheel? Lighter?

--

Unfortunately I had too much other stuff to do today but tomorrow the plan is to take the wheel outside. Now the next step is safety gear, I'm still wondering what type of helmet is best.

After a couple of weeks banging up my ACM I bought $200 generic to share the damage. Unfortunately by the time I received the generic wheel I was good enough not to need it. I rode @jrkline's KS14C during a group ride and I really liked it. So I bought one. It's really a fun wheel with lots of power (and 840wh battery for a 30+ mile range).

Buy your safety gear now. You can get hurt easier when you're learning vs experienced.

28 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

True, but a lot (all?) of these wheels are wheels really meant for children’s mountain bikes.

This means:

1) They’re of the low-pressure variety.

2) The PSI they quote on the tire will be a recommendation based on bodyweight spread over two wheels (i.e. on a bike), not one wheel that your weight is directly over.

My tire says 35-45, but I get optimal performance at around 58psi with no problems. Don’t have the balls to push it further than that though.

But yeah, I take your point.

I didn't realize the source for these tires and that the pressures assume two tires. Hmmm. I will say that I think all of my tires say 65 except for one that is 45 (can't remember which right now). My Monster recommends 32psi - it is basically a car tire ;)

Ok, a new PANIC MODE!!!;)question:

The wheel is leaning upright against the wall. Battery is fully loaded (charger light goes from red to green).

The old Gotway app (electro-sport Google Play version) shows battery at 70%.

Wheellog shows the battery at 72% and voltage at ~62V (also under load = doing in place "swings").

The uppermost battery light (1 red 2 yellow 2 green) is not green (the LED works though, it does colors when the wheel is moving).

Is there a problem with the batteries? Maybe one of them is not connected? Shouldn't the voltage be 84V? Is that only under real load? Do these apps show the right readings for the ACM 1300 Wh?

I didn't try the current Gotway app yet because that would tie the wheel number to an account and I didn't want to do that yet.

What's going on?:huh:

edit: 84*0.72 = 60.5 hmmmm,,,

54 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I've got this one here, works perfectly, maybe the gauge is a bit small....

https://www.amazon.de/Enkeeo-Ultra-leichte-Luftpumpe-kompatibel-Sportbälle/dp/B01HM936XO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485539501&sr=8-1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

About pressure, the speedyfeet guys pumped it up pretty good. What is the point of lower tire pressure, more stability against tipping sideways?

Lower tire pressure gives you a bigger contact area between the tire and the ground, which makes everything a little bit easier to control. However, if you advance you might like the better maneuverabillity of a higher tire pressure, as the smaller contact area reduces the effort needed for turning etc. Higher pressure makes the wheel feel more direct and nimble. The difference is astonishing. Lower pressure is a bit more comfortable on rougher terrain, especially on cobblestone.

27 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The wheel is leaning upright against the wall. Battery is fully loaded (charger light goes from red to green).

Wheellog shows the battery at 72% and voltage at ~62V (also under load = doing in place "swings").

The uppermost battery light (1 red 2 yellow 2 green) is not green (the LED works though, it does colors when the wheel is moving).

Is there a problem with the batteries? Maybe one of them is not connected? Shouldn't the voltage be 84V? Is that only under real load? Do these apps show the right readings for the ACM 1300 Wh?

I didn't try the current Gotway app yet because that would tie the wheel number to an account and I didn't want to do that yet.

You need one of the newer 'older - non-social media' apps. Certainly if you have the latest and greatest Wheellog app it works fine with the new wheels.

However, re-reading what you wrote. The wheel itself does not lie. When it's fully charged all the green LEDs will be lit when standing still. Beyond that I have no idea what might be wrong.

52 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Is there a problem with the batteries? Maybe one of them is not connected? Shouldn't the voltage be 84V? Is that only under real load?

It could be a problem with the battery or (more likely) with the charger or even with the display. When fully charged the voltage should be close to 84V. 62V and 72% doesn't go together with 84V charge voltage. It would be consistent with a 67.2V charge voltage wheel. What is written on the charger? Under load the voltage drops, so no, you should see max voltage without "real load".

The charger says 84V 1.5A, so it's good.

I'm using a standard euro connector power cable (the speedyfeet guys only had the UK cable and didn't want to wait with shipping until they got a replacement, so I bought one myself - brand one). That can't possibly be the problem?

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

That can't possibly be the problem?

Right, that seems not possible if the cable does make contact at all.

Using a charge doctor^1 you could find out whether the charger indeed delivers 84V. Otherwise I am running out of ideas for the moment (besides contacting the seller, I am confident that speedyfeet will eventually solve the problem). 

^1 http://hobby16.neowp.fr/2016/02/06/charge-doctor-v2-10a-3/

11 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

For people concerned about the high pitched motor whine (like me), it's a non issue. The whine is not annoying (it's not that high) and I really didn't notice it after stepping on the wheel, even indoors.

Congrats @meepmeepmayer.  That is definitely a nice - first wheel.  Be safe on it.

As for the whine noise, at least on my ACM 820wh, it doesn't bother me at all.  But it drives my daughter crazy... she can tell when I turn it on from 2 floors away.  She's 11yrs old.... Go figure..

13 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Ok, this just got more confusing.

I charged the wheel overnight (10h, despite the charger being green = finished) with another power cable for the charger (2m instead of 2.5m) and now the battery is at about 82% (wheellog) or 80% (GW ES app) and the voltage is 63.5 (higher, wheellog). The uppermost green LED is also partially full now.

I changed the power outlet and now I'm going to see what will happen.:huh::huh::huh: Also I'll try to find an even shorter power cable...

Archived