Gotway Monster Received and Oh My God

Marty Backe

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

My only ride has been the 25 mile one, and I used 30% of my battery. Probably half the ride was moving at ~20mph, so I was consuming some serious energy. I really think I'l going to get 75 - 90 miles out of this. I just have a pick a day where I have the time to ride for 8 hours and fully test the range :cry2:

So that sounds like about 3 rounds trips on the bike paths between Torrance beach and Pacific Palisades.  ?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Hi @Marty Backe ,

Sorry to be a pain but I was wondering if you could advise, please, seeing as I notice you've had experience with both of these EUC's.

I am looking at getting one or the other. I currently have the ACM 820Wh and ride along the canal a lot BUT there are sections that dip with big cobbles that have pretty big gaps in between that the ACM can't handle. I want to be able to ride over these with ease rather than having to keep stopping and getting off. Also there's one section with pretty rough steep incline the ACM isn't too keen on either which would be good to ride up easily.

Also I currently get a maximum of 25 miles on a charge but want a lot more. Ian's range tests for the V3S+ and Monster aren't great with the V3S+ he reckons 40 miles and Monster 50+ miles.What's your experience with these wheels in your warmer climate please?

I'm planning on keeping my ACM for commuting still as the max I need is 12 miles for that and the ACM is good enough even if I take the scenic route home.

I'm thinking the V3S+ at 18" may possibly be ok with the cobbles but at almost double the battery of my ACM only 15 extra miles doesn't seem enough. With 3 times the battery size the monster may be more suitable but Ian's 50 miles isn't great for the price difference.

BTW I ride EUC's rather than bikes mostly due to mobility issues. Even though I could get a great e=bike for the money I have problems with leaning over to the handle bars and peddling. As you know with an EUC you stand and go - yes there's some effort but nowhere near as much as cycling.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice.

7 hours ago, TremF said:

Hi @Marty Backe ,

Sorry to be a pain but I was wondering if you could advise, please, seeing as I notice you've had experience with both of these EUC's.

I am looking at getting one or the other. I currently have the ACM 820Wh and ride along the canal a lot BUT there are sections that dip with big cobbles that have pretty big gaps in between that the ACM can't handle. I want to be able to ride over these with ease rather than having to keep stopping and getting off. Also there's one section with pretty rough steep incline the ACM isn't too keen on either which would be good to ride up easily.

Also I currently get a maximum of 25 miles on a charge but want a lot more. Ian's range tests for the V3S+ and Monster aren't great with the V3S+ he reckons 40 miles and Monster 50+ miles.What's your experience with these wheels in your warmer climate please?

I'm planning on keeping my ACM for commuting still as the max I need is 12 miles for that and the ACM is good enough even if I take the scenic route home.

I'm thinking the V3S+ at 18" may possibly be ok with the cobbles but at almost double the battery of my ACM only 15 extra miles doesn't seem enough. With 3 times the battery size the monster may be more suitable but Ian's 50 miles isn't great for the price difference.

BTW I ride EUC's rather than bikes mostly due to mobility issues. Even though I could get a great e=bike for the money I have problems with leaning over to the handle bars and peddling. As you know with an EUC you stand and go - yes there's some effort but nowhere near as much as cycling.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice.

I don't own the V3S+, only the original 820wh V3. But from my previous experience the 820wh ACM and 820wh MSuper V3 both had the same range.  I own the new 1300wh ACM, so I assume the 1600wh MSuper is very similar in range.

I consistently (temperatures above 65 degrees) get 45 miles on my ACM with probably 5 more miles in the tank. For comparison, I used to get a consistent 30 miles on my 820wh ACM, and that's what I still get on my 820wh MSuper V3.

My 2400wh Monster consistently gives me 70+ miles.

I've always thought that Ian reports noticeably less mileage on his wheels. Apparently he's heavier, and rides in colder temperatures.

I take my Monster and ACM (both 84v wheels) on some very steep mountain trails and they can both climb the hills, but the ACM accomplishes the task much quicker with less strong leaning required. The MSuper is worse than the ACM but better than the Monster in terms of ease of steep hill climbing.

And finally the Monster is the king of road machines. It's very much more comfortable riding in rough road/trail conditions. You will notice a huge difference between it and the ACM.

Since you're going to keep your ACM I would recommend the Monster based on what you wrote.

Thank you @Marty Backe you've been great help. 

It's definitely much cooler here in the UK than it is in California for you. He has mentioned that his low mileage's were in 5 degree c temps so would be better in warmer weather but 32 miles on the V3S+ in the cold with a possible 40 miles in warmer weather isn't a big enough upgrade for me. I'm thinking the Monster with it's 50+ miles in the cold would probably be best.

If I make my mind up and get the order in soon I should be able to take delivery Friday and with the magic beans the Monster will earn me I'll be able to get a discount on a fast charger :)

3 minutes ago, TremF said:

Thank you @Marty Backe you've been great help. 

It's definitely much cooler here in the UK than it is in California for you. He has mentioned that his low mileage's were in 5 degree c temps so would be better in warmer weather but 32 miles on the V3S+ in the cold with a possible 40 miles in warmer weather isn't a big enough upgrade for me. I'm thinking the Monster with it's 50+ miles in the cold would probably be best.

If I make my mind up and get the order in soon I should be able to take delivery Friday and with the magic beans the Monster will earn me I'll be able to get a discount on a fast charger :)

Cool. Sounds exciting - I know (and enjoy) what it's like to anticipate a new wheel. If you get a chance later, let us (me) know how the Monster works for you, in particular on your favorite riding path.

Well I am a step closer... I'm taking delivery of a blue Monster tomorrow. I also opted for a fast charger (although I initially ordered the wrong one. I didn't read that the 10amp one needed the wiring messing with) and MSuper V3 pedals to replace the standard Monster (also ACM) ones. I'm not overly keen on my ACM pedals as the grip is rubbing off? so the MSuper pedals, with rubber grips too, will provide better grip I reckon.

Ian has inflated the tire and charged it slightly but I'll probably whack it on the fast charger before I do my first trial. I can't wait to get out on it!!  :D

31 minutes ago, TremF said:

Well I am a step closer... I'm taking delivery of a blue Monster tomorrow. I also opted for a fast charger (although I initially ordered the wrong one. I didn't read that the 10amp one needed the wiring messing with) and MSuper V3 pedals to replace the standard Monster (also ACM) ones. I'm not overly keen on my ACM pedals as the grip is rubbing off? so the MSuper pedals, with rubber grips too, will provide better grip I reckon.

Ian has inflated the tire and charged it slightly but I'll probably whack it on the fast charger before I do my first trial. I can't wait to get out on it!!  :D

That's great. You're going to be having fun this weekend. :thumbup:

This is the first time that I've heard that the grip material wears off. You have the older pedals (with the red rubber) or the new pedals for only the grip material? I only have the new style pedals and they show now signs of wear yet. 

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

That's great. You're going to be having fun this weekend. :thumbup:

This is the first time that I've heard that the grip material wears off. You have the older pedals (with the red rubber) or the new pedals for only the grip material? I only have the new style pedals and they show now signs of wear yet. 

Definitely fun this weekend. I have booked tomorrow off work to be in for the delivery but need to pop in for an hour or so to run some reports. When I get home it's just me and our dog because my wife is taking our girls camping with her camera club. I'll have plenty of time for a good range test, hopefully, weather dependant.

My ACM has the new pedals which are like grip tape/sand paper. It has worn quite badly on my right pedal and slightly on my left. I must shuffle my feet while riding - in particularly the right one.

35 minutes ago, TremF said:

Definitely fun this weekend. I have booked tomorrow off work to be in for the delivery but need to pop in for an hour or so to run some reports. When I get home it's just me and our dog because my wife is taking our girls camping with her camera club. I'll have plenty of time for a good range test, hopefully, weather dependant.

My ACM has the new pedals which are like grip tape/sand paper. It has worn quite badly on my right pedal and slightly on my left. I must shuffle my feet while riding - in particularly the right one.

That's disappointing to hear about the pedals. I'll have to keep an eye on mine.

Looks like you're really set for the weekend :D

I think the pedal grip paper is quite susceptible to water, otherwise it's sturdy. I have a small "less/no more sand" spot on one of my pedals, after not much use. Probably happened on the one ride where I went in ice/snow and some snow got ice-d on the pedals from the boots. Not sure.

In California, that does not happen so much;)

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

That's disappointing to hear about the pedals. I'll have to keep an eye on mine.

Looks like you're really set for the weekend :D

Here's photo's of my ACM pedals. Before I was sent these I had the original pedals with the rubber that wore off just looking at it. Gray at Yorkshire Airwheels got hold of the new rubber grips for me and I fitted those along with some good quality longboard tape. I replaced them pedals with the new ACM all grip only as pictured. The right pedal started rubbing off pretty quick. I intended to use some more of the long board tape if it got too bad.

Left ACM Pedal.jpg

Right ACM Pedal.jpg

26 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I think the pedal grip paper is quite susceptible to water, otherwise it's sturdy. I have a small "less/no more sand" spot on one of my pedals, after not much use. Probably happened on the one ride where I went in ice/snow and some snow got ice-d on the pedals from the boots. Not sure.

In California, that does not happen so much;)

Yeah, I'm beginning to think it's location based. My pedals NEVER get wet, muddy, icy, etc. So under those 'perfect' conditions they last forever :)

22 minutes ago, TremF said:

Here's photo's of my ACM pedals. Before I was sent these I had the original pedals with the rubber that wore off just looking at it. Grey at Yorkshire Airwheels got hold of the new rubber grips for me and I fitted those along with some good quality longboard tape. I replaced them pedals with the new ACM all grip only as pictured. The right pedal started rubbing off pretty quick. Intended to use some more of the long board tape if it got too bad.

Left ACM Pedal.jpg

Right ACM Pedal.jpg

Wow. Great pictures. Now I know what to start looking out for.

@Marty Backe Which pedals came with your Monster? ACM ones or MSuper ones? I've been informed my Monster comes with MSuper ones which has made me very happy as the extra I purchased can now go to replace my crappy ACM ones :) 

1 hour ago, TremF said:

@Marty Backe Which pedals came with your Monster? ACM ones or MSuper ones? I've been informed my Monster comes with MSuper ones which has made me very happy as the extra I purchased can now go to replace my crappy ACM ones :) 

ACM pedals. I was under the impression that Ian is now ordering the Monsters from Gotway to come with the MSuper pedals.  But my Monster was from his first shipment from Gotway.

Wow!! You don't appreciate just how big the Monster is until you're lifting it out of the box yourself and looking at it. I can't get over the sheer size of it and the thickness of that tire.
I got the 5amp fast charger so it went from 40% to full in 3 - 4 hours.

I've been out on it but "only" done about 13 miles and the battery showing 90%. It's taking some getting used to but I am starting to be able to roll slowly and maneuver it in small spaces. It takes a lot more effort than the ACM which with my spine/nerve problems and the cold/damp weather hurts! I am looking forward to warmer weather to really give it a run out though I have the seat coming tomorrow so I might see if that eases travel a little. It could be that I am still figuring out what it, and myself, are capable of but there are parts of the canal I still struggle with and one cobbled hill my ACM goes up I wasn't confident I could get the Monster up it.

I love the Monster though! I think I'll definitely stick with the, more maneuverable and smaller, ACM for work but really can't wait to do some decent rides on the Monster

thumbnail_20170421_162944.thumb.jpg.9a1a4da16509bafb52a07109d9f4166b.jpgthumbnail_20170421_163340.thumb.jpg.d7f18f6b8c03c55f8f331450bde237b9.jpgthumbnail_20170421_193628.thumb.jpg.497f5ad0e7ceb2d06bfcabcdebf44d29.jpg.

9 minutes ago, TremF said:

Wow!! You don't appreciate just how big the Monster is until you're lifting it out of the box yourself and looking at it. I can't get over the sheer size of it and the thickness of that tire.
I got the 5amp fast charger so it went from 40% to full in 3 - 4 hours.

I've been out on it but "only" done about 13 miles and the battery showing 90%. It's taking some getting used to but I am starting to be able to roll slowly and maneuver it in small spaces. It takes a lot more effort than the ACM which with my spine/nerve problems and the cold/damp weather hurts! I am looking forward to warmer weather to really give it a run out though I have the seat coming tomorrow so I might see if that eases travel a little. It could be that I am still figuring out what it, and myself, are capable of but there are parts of the canal I still struggle with and one cobbled hill my ACM goes up I wasn't confident I could get the Monster up it.

I love the Monster though! I think I'll definitely stick with the, more maneuverable and smaller, ACM for work but really can't wait to do some decent rides on the Monster

thumbnail_20170421_162944.thumb.jpg.9a1a4da16509bafb52a07109d9f4166b.jpgthumbnail_20170421_163340.thumb.jpg.d7f18f6b8c03c55f8f331450bde237b9.jpgthumbnail_20170421_193628.thumb.jpg.497f5ad0e7ceb2d06bfcabcdebf44d29.jpg.

Great pictures. I think after you put 50+ miles on it you'll have it fully figured out. As I'm sure you're aware now how maneuverable it actually is - just requires different techniques and a bit more effort from your body.

I've ridden my Monster on very steep inclines. You really just have to have faith and dutifully lean into the hill - squeezing the wheel with your legs helps too.

P.s. I'll be interested in hearing what kind of mileage you get on yours.

Did you exchange the pedals or does speedyfeet really ship with msuper pedals by default? In their latest 1000 mile test ride video, when he switches to a monster he also uses msuper pedals. They are that much better? I though the size difference to the updated ACM pedals (sandpaper, bigger) is not that big.

11 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Did you exchange the pedals or does speedyfeet really ship with msuper pedals by default? In their latest 1000 mile test ride video, when he switches to a monster he also uses msuper pedals. They are that much better? I though the size difference to the updated ACM pedals (sandpaper, bigger) is not that big.

Apparently they come from Gotway with the new MSuper version pedals now. I much prefer them the to ACM  ones and the extra I purchased, because I didn't realise my Monster already had them, will be going on my ACM! :D 

It's not really the size that makes them better. More the shape and the fact they use rubber grips as well as grip tape. They felt more comfortable and safe even on my first ride.

I might not be able to get out on it today, which is a shame because it's nice out, because I'm of somewhere with my brother but yesterday was 13 miles and showing 90%. To put that into perspective - My ACM would have been showing, at the very most, 50% (820wh) and my old Ninebot wouldn't have even made that! I got 11 or 12 miles from that (320wh)

I'm not expecting miracles with the Monster due to it's increased weight and greater area of contact with the ground. I get 25 miles max with my ACM so if I can get 75 miles with the Monster that would be great but I'll settle for around 60 (fingers crossed).

I've possibly made a very expensive mistake. My second ride on it and it was going great. 35+ miles (plus 13.5 the other day) and battery at 30%. 

I went to role over a small obstacle and ended up stepping off as I was possibly too slow to get up. due to the terrain I couldn't grab the Monster as I stepped off. It dropped and the wheel span up spinning it about and damaging my handle, and the top plastic piece, near the front light. The whole handle area is very weak. I've now got two screws on one side where the plastic inside has snapped so either there's noting to screw into or the screw has been pulled through the shell so won't hold. I've had to put 4 strong cable ties on the handle, for now, so as to not put too much stress on the remaining screws BUT I may not be able to risk riding it until I can get a replacement case. They truly are a poor design at the handle, top and front area for the amount of weight they are.

The rest of my case, pedals and leg pads are fine.

18083502_10155265127813493_658554064_o.thumb.jpg.cfcb22dd82e94b0f8f3e6f15f579a5d6.jpg18083539_10155265127848493_807180820_o.thumb.jpg.e815d9b333920c1a8c138dd8dcb3f826.jpg18111004_10155265127783493_1665185485_o.thumb.jpg.0de8ad5ea84667d3582f0f8768d3af61.jpg18111212_10155265127858493_506603040_o.thumb.jpg.0ff66ad7128608e243b054d71309d2a4.jpg18120449_10155265127838493_485177421_o.thumb.jpg.06af152aba4d2590bb3702cc50a35b76.jpg

1 hour ago, TremF said:

I've possibly made a very expensive mistake. My second ride on it and it was going great. 35+ miles (plus 13.5 the other day) and battery at 30%. 

I went to role over a small obstacle and ended up stepping off as I was possibly too slow to get up. due to the terrain I couldn't grab the Monster as I stepped off. It dropped and the wheel span up spinning it about and damaging my handle, and the top plastic piece, near the front light. The whole handle area is very weak. I've now got two screws on one side where the plastic inside has snapped so either there's noting to screw into or the screw has been pulled through the shell so won't hold. I've had to put 4 strong cable ties on the handle, for now, so as to not put too much stress on the remaining screws BUT I may not be able to risk riding it until I can get a replacement case. They truly are a poor design at the handle, top and front area for the amount of weight they are.

The rest of my case, pedals and leg pads are fine.

18083502_10155265127813493_658554064_o.thumb.jpg.cfcb22dd82e94b0f8f3e6f15f579a5d6.jpg18083539_10155265127848493_807180820_o.thumb.jpg.e815d9b333920c1a8c138dd8dcb3f826.jpg18111004_10155265127783493_1665185485_o.thumb.jpg.0de8ad5ea84667d3582f0f8768d3af61.jpg18111212_10155265127858493_506603040_o.thumb.jpg.0ff66ad7128608e243b054d71309d2a4.jpg18120449_10155265127838493_485177421_o.thumb.jpg.06af152aba4d2590bb3702cc50a35b76.jpg

The Monster is so heavy that it basically self destructs if it does a summer salt and lands on the outer edges.  Too much force. Sorry for the mishap. I know how it feels to scratch your new ride.

Archived