Kingsong KS16 680wh pedal modification + lights

Lukasz

I had been happy Ninebot user since early 2016, with 2000 km range experience. I have decided to make step forward, and switch to the stronger wheel - I have decided for KS16 with 680wh 

A few pluses:

- higher torque,

- much longer range 

- valise type handle

- integrated lights

- better stability and nicer ride 

In general - very good wheel, however I have found that original KingSong pedals are really bad in terms of grip, rubber is soft and heavy, moreover spring based holding mechanism is terrible. Please see below my mod for the pedals:

- skateboard grip offer much better stability even in wet conditions

- magnetic locking mechanism is easy to lock and unlock by small kick in the lower part of the pedals - pedals lower parts are quite useful!

- mod allows to make the unit lighter -  KS16D with 680wh battery weight is now 16,42 kg

- basic CAD knowledge and 3d printer allowed me to design and print needed parts, proper mounting of the plastic inserts require drilling 3.2 mm holes in the aluminium pedals and taping the holes with M4 thread. Experience in drilling required in order not to drill through the pedals  14 mm round neodymium magnets inserted in the pedals and into the white side bumpers are sufficient to hold pedals up.

- 6 pcs of of 10mm  and 6 pcs of 8mm long  M4 screws are needed, also 24 washers to equalize uneven cast and mount the pedals (US modders can adapt to the locally available imperial system screws)

- if somebody is interested in obtaining .stl files with plastic insert and side bumper (to be printed on the 3d printer)  let me know. 

- mod is reversible - it is possible to unscrew pads and insert rubber back into the pedals.

The next mod which I decided to go for is to add brigher LED  red lights on the back - see results in the next pictures. 

20170119_222222_resize.jpg

20170121_212153_resize.jpg

20170121_234132_resize.jpg

20170123_001052_resize.jpg

20170126_130303.jpg

Edited by Lukasz
some pictures removed due to quota exceded
  • Upvote 3

@Lukasz in the last photo that is the best use of bumper material that I have seen.  it makes the pads a littler wider and also softer.  It could be adapted to those wheels with no padding like the Ninebot S1, the IPS Zero, and the Inmotion V5.  It could be layered to make the pads even wider and softer.:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I have used bike lamps   -  see http://allegro.pl/lampa-rowerowa-mactronic-abr-0021-red-line-usb-i6443089747.html

they are very light, only 22 grams each, with internal rechargeable battery -  microusb charging, listed as 15 hours of constant light or 18hours of flashing light

This lamp has to be modified - side mounting hooks had to be cut away. Mounting is very simple - double foam tape + two zip bands through the speaker holes + two additional holes.

lamps are mounted in such way that shape of the battery pockets and pedals protect them in case of the wheel side fall on the ground.

I have in the pipeline next project with narrow car type red LED lamps, but those are powered from 12V, so i am waiting now for electronic elements to build adequate power source based on the 1 piece of 18650 cell + step up power converter. I think that all add-on lamps and mods should be powered from separate power source not connected to the internal battery due to the safety reasons.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Magnetic pedals mod - KS16 is almost perfect wheel - except the springs in the pedals - but this can be modified into magnetic type like in Ninebot One E+

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2017 at 6:56 PM, Lukasz said:

I had been happy Ninebot user since early 2016, with 2000 km range experience. I have decided to make step forward, and switch to the stronger wheel - I have decided for KS16 with 680wh 

A few pluses:

- higher torque,

- much longer range 

- valise type handle

- integrated lights

- better stability and nicer ride 

In general - very good wheel, however I have found that original KingSong pedals are really bad in terms of grip, rubber is soft and heavy, moreover spring based holding mechanism is terrible. Please see below my mod for the pedals:

- skateboard grip offer much better stability even in wet conditions

- magnetic locking mechanism is easy to lock and unlock by small kick in the lower part of the pedals - pedals lower parts are quite useful!

- mod allows to make the unit lighter -  KS16D with 680wh battery weight is now 16,42 kg

- basic CAD knowledge and 3d printer allowed me to design and print needed parts, proper mounting of the plastic inserts require drilling 3.2 mm holes in the aluminium pedals and taping the holes with M4 thread. Experience in drilling required in order not to drill through the pedals  14 mm round neodymium magnets inserted in the pedals and into the white side bumpers are sufficient to hold pedals up.

- 6 pcs of of 10mm  and 6 pcs of 8mm long  M4 screws are needed, also 24 washers to equalize uneven cast and mount the pedals (US modders can adapt to the locally available imperial system screws)

- if somebody is interested in obtaining .stl files with plastic insert and side bumper (to be printed on the 3d printer)  let me know. 

- mod is reversible - it is possible to unscrew pads and insert rubber back into the pedals.

The next mod which I decided to go for is to add brigher LED  red lights on the back - see results in the next pictures. 

20170119_210931_resize.jpg

20170119_222222_resize.jpg

20170119_223819_resize.jpg

20170119_225403_resize.jpg

20170121_004724_resize.jpg

20170121_212153_resize.jpg

20170121_234132_resize.jpg

20170123_001052_resize.jpg

20170123_002314_resize.jpg

20170126_130203.jpg

20170126_130303.jpg

In the last picture it looks like a ninebot with different pedals and a wider battery cover with a scallop cut off at the top for the integrated trolley handle.  It looks like Kingsong improved the design of the Ninebot.^_^

• Upvote 1

True - KS must have seen Ninebot when designing KS16 but from my own experience - they made quite good job with developing it further - handle is a a must in urban jungle, also integrated lights, over twice the battery capacity and so on. The only "missing item" from ninebot design are magnetic pedals - but in fact this is easy to modify, and thanks to the specific "lower flaps" which only KS has it is easy to open those pedals by simple kick. NB pedals are magnetic but lack this lower part so the are not so easy to open.  

Edited by Lukasz
  • Upvote 1

Thank You! It is slightly chaotic as I have no experience in "reviews" .... to be improved when KS16S arrives, I will try to make it more step by step through all aspects... 

Approximately 2 km west from Wawel castle, very much in the center of Krakow, Poland. 

We are fortunate to have walkway/bike road along both sides of the river - it creates "east-west" highway for runners, bikers, and EUC...  this unused end of the walkway few days ago was flooded due to a lot of rain, so was quite dirty, in fact it unexpectedly created the quite nice "speed" effect when filming..  

There is no local traffic rules for EUC so according to law you have the same rights as the walking person. Krakow in some areas resemble Vienna, (as the part of the Austro-Hungarian empire till 1918) city center is old, and in most parto of the center car traffic is restricted - so EUC is the best solution - better than the bike for getting around - no hassle with looking for parking, no hassle with police, no hassle with traffic, no hassle at all!  It is effectively quickest form of transport in the city.   A glimpse of the main market square can be seen here:

Edited by Lukasz

Please find here  .stl files for pedal insert and side spacer to prepare magnetic pedals mod.  

(to be printed on the 3d printer from PLA or ABS material)  

Side spacer had been designed to use 14 mm neodymium magnets.  I have used 4 pcs, but for stronger lock 8pcs can also be used.

KS16 pedal side spacer.stl

KS16 pedal insert.stl

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2017 at 10:03 AM, Lukasz said:

Review of the Kingsong KS16  here:

Great review, especially where you said it is twice as good as a Ninebot.  Twice the battery power, twice the range,  more safety, the handle is built in and looks pretty well designed.  Looks like a very good wheel, the top two choices seem to be Kingsong and Gotway for quality and performance.  Also it has bluetooth speakers built in, not even Gotway has that, like you I might not use them, but to be able to play music while riding is starting to seem nice to have at times, even while not riding you could play music from the wheel.  Thanks for the review:cheers:  Now I am seriously considering Kingsong 16 as my next wheel.  It looks very good!

2 hours ago, steve454 said:

the top two choices seem to be Kingsong and Gotway for quality and performance.

For performance, Gotway rules.

For quality, I'm in a quandary.  On any given model of a Kingsong, in the later versions they seem to have made it safe.  I admit my view of the world is subjective, but I ponder why I think that any given model of the Gotway is likely for the board to fry or to cause serious injury.  I suspect I am not correct about that, but the subjective "movie" that I'm watching in real time leads me to believe that.  What am I missing?

I guess I have seen posts trashing the "engineering" of the Gotways.  The wires are all wrong, or are routed badly.  This is the "story" that I'm hearing.  True or not true.  

Anyone, please wake me from my misperceptions of which I am quite suspicious.  Not as suspicious as I am of Gotway quality, but still I am suspicious.  I've actually heard of a handful of people who have ridden Gotways without bodily harm.  How does the narrative to which I've been exposed depart from reality?  I actually imagine that it does. 

I have only basic knowledge about Gotway so I do now want to provide definitive opinions, but I hear comments around that the 84V setup is not easy to implement in practice and such voltage implies changes on other parts... 

• 2 years later...