Lunicycle an alternative to traditional non electric unicycles

swvision

The main innovation in the Lunicycle was inspired by one of Shane Chen's other inventions, the Solowheel (www.solowheel.com), a motorized unicycle without a seat. The Solowheel's uses leg pads to keep the Solowheel upright from side to side. The Solowheel got Shane thinking about applying the same concept to a human-powered version. The absence of a seat on the Lunicycle makes balancing a breeze to learn, allowing a new rider to catch on in a matter of minutes or hours instead of the weeks or months required to learn to ride a unicycle.

This is very cool. Anyone who rides EUCs can't help but be attracted to a foot powered version. Very tempting to buy one for kicks. Looks like it costs ~$150. There's a a mini-version of the same thing too.

I'm thinking that after about 3 minutes ones thighs would be burning like hell. At no time did any of the riders fully extend a leg, so fatigue would set in quickly.  Persever, and you'll have legs of steel, or be walking home.

good balance exercise, but I think it is too small in diameter, so it's too slow (the cruise unicycles use 36")
Regarding leg effort, considering it is continuous, I think the saddle is not an optional

7 hours ago, Smoother said:

I'm thinking that after about 3 minutes ones thighs would be burning like hell. At no time did any of the riders fully extend a leg, so fatigue would set in quickly.  Persever, and you'll have legs of steel, or be walking home.

When I look at a regular unicycle it looks like a lot of strenuous work since the legs can never stop moving (there is no free-wheeling like a bicycle, where you can coast). Maybe this Lunicycle is no different.

Someone here is going to have to buy one and give us a full report :popcorn: 

Just to jump in here, the lunicycle is actually a slight improvement on a more popular no-seat unicycle called the Ultimate Wheel (http://www.unicycle.com/unicycles/ultimate-wheel).  The UW doesn't have an oval shape or leg braces making it more difficult I believe, but overall the concept is not new.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

So, anyone tried it? What speed are you getting when riding at a normal speed? Doesn't look much faster than walking to me tbh.

I think the point of the lunicycle is to have fun, not for transportation.

Archived