Ninebot E+ Mystery Breakdown

Alex Diaz

Hello, I own 2 Ninebot E+'s and the identical issue has happened with both of them, I'm dead in the water for both Ninebots.

The Ninebot issue: My Ninebot stopped working after rolling off a 3 inch sidewalk curb. It suddenly lost power and I almost fell. I tried turning it back on and it would immediately shut off. It would only stay on, if I had it resting completely on it's side. Once I righted it straight up, it would immediately turn off. The tire wouldn't roll freely either, it had resistance and had a jerky motion.

After getting a new control board from my dealership, I installed it. When I turned on the Ninebot on to pair with my phone, it wouldn't automatically right itself, staying loose on pitch. Also, the right light ring only showed 2 blinking green led lights at the bottom, while the left side of the Ninebot light rings showed nothing at all. I have two batteries, I had fully charged, thinking it might be a low battery, it wasn't. Also, when I tried to charge the battery while it was plugged into the Ninebot, it doesn't charge, showing a green light on the battery charger, instead of red.

I assume the gyroscope needs to be reset... am I on the right track. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know how to fix it or a phone number to get in touch with Ninebot itself?

Thanks!  

2 hours ago, Alex Diaz said:

Hello, I own 2 Ninebot E+'s and the identical issue has happened with both of them, I'm dead in the water for both Ninebots.

The Ninebot issue: My Ninebot stopped working after rolling off a 3 inch sidewalk curb. It suddenly lost power and I almost fell. I tried turning it back on and it would immediately shut off. It would only stay on, if I had it resting completely on it's side. Once I righted it straight up, it would immediately turn off. The tire wouldn't roll freely either, it had resistance and had a jerky motion.

After getting a new control board from my dealership, I installed it. When I turned on the Ninebot on to pair with my phone, it wouldn't automatically right itself, staying loose on pitch. Also, the right light ring only showed 2 blinking green led lights at the bottom, while the left side of the Ninebot light rings showed nothing at all. I have two batteries, I had fully charged, thinking it might be a low battery, it wasn't. Also, when I tried to charge the battery while it was plugged into the Ninebot, it doesn't charge, showing a green light on the battery charger, instead of red.

I assume the gyroscope needs to be reset... am I on the right track. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know how to fix it or a phone number to get in touch with Ninebot itself?

Thanks!  

I don't see from your profile where you are located, but look for the nearest Segway dealer, they are Ninebot now.

It's under warranty and on the other side of the US. I'm in California and they're in NY, so I have to send it back, but I fear they won't fix it at all since when it was dropped, I have a crack along the bolt that would look as if I tampered the Ninebot. Local dealers won't fix it if I didn't buy it there, already tried. I called Segway corporate for help but they had no one answering the phones and I left a message. I was hoping someone would recognize my issue and give me a fix. I would imagine it has something to do with the gyroscope and was hoping there's a way to reset it. I've already tried the regular gyroscope fix, but it didn't work. Thank you for your reply! 

7 minutes ago, Alex Diaz said:

I've already tried the regular gyroscope fix, but it didn't work.

What is the regular gyroscope fix, is that the calibration by the app?  You could look up @SuperSport and click on the link at the bottom of one of his posts where he has a video to do a manual calibration of the pitch and roll angles.

Lucky it is still under warranty, I think any Segway dealer at least is required to diagnose it, whether or not they honor the warranty might be another matter.

Now that I think about it, the manual calibration does do some kind of reset, I think.  Try it and let us know if it helps.

After installing the new Motherboard, you need to activate it using the app and your board serial number.  Contact your Dealer and they will walk you through it.  Don't mention the crack or anything because they won't need to know that for this.  You cannot activate it without going through your dealer or NineBot Directly, but I have no idea how easy that is now days.

Thanks @SuperSport You're right, I realized calibration is what I did with my older Ninebot, my mistake I could not perform calibration with this one.

Problem is, after installing the new motherboard my app couldn't link up with the Ninebot at all. I could see the Ninebot as an option to choose on the app, but it wouldn't connect... I could see it as an option also in the bluetooth section of my phone, but it required a passcode to link them.  I called the dealer and asked for if there was a 4 number pin code to get the ninebot to link to my cell app. He said there wasn't (not to be confused with the code I need to activate the board). I tried 0000 and 1234 but nothing.

He asked what happened when I turned on the Ninebot, I explained the entire situation and he then said it could be my battery. Then I go back to well...  the right light ring only showed 2 blinking green led lights at the bottom, while the left side of the Ninebot light rings showed nothing at all. I have two batteries, fully charged. I'm broke as heck and can't afford a Volt meter.

Also, when I tried to charge the battery while it was plugged into the Ninebot, it doesn't charge, showing a green light on the battery charger, instead of red.

It has a full battery and a new motherboard, so like what the heck? 

Just now, Alex Diaz said:

@SuperSportThat's really nice of you, thanks!! I'm in Santa Barbara, I see you're in No Cal. I'm down to Skype if that's ok? I'm free all weekend. 

I just read this from Ian Sampson at Speedyfeet.  It confirms what you are having issues with.

https://speedyfeet.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115000714665

What I was hoping to do is open it up and look around inside to be sure everything was as it should be.  I'm not positive I can do that on Skype, but it's possible.  Remind me this weekend and we'll see what we can do.  It does almost sound like your Bluetooth is having issues.  There is a Bluetooth reset you can try that is found at this YouTube Video, also from Ian Sampson:

• 1 month later...

Hey guys- I am new to the Ninebot one E+ family and have some questions. When I plug in my Ninebot, the charger light stays green and when I hit the power button on the Ninebot itself, there is a green light that lights up on only one side (on the outer ring) of the Ninebot. Also, when I check the app, it says I'm at 56% charge.

I'm not sure what's wrong with it- any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

On ‎08‎.‎03‎.‎2017 at 5:56 PM, DubLow7 said:

Hey guys- I am new to the Ninebot one E+ family and have some questions. When I plug in my Ninebot, the charger light stays green and when I hit the power button on the Ninebot itself, there is a green light that lights up on only one side (on the outer ring) of the Ninebot. Also, when I check the app, it says I'm at 56% charge.

Thanks.

Charger staying green on connection means fully charged or not charging at all. Your ninebot does not take any charge... The easiest thing is to open it up and check the cables and connections for damages. Could be a simple loose connection problem.

On 3/8/2017 at 10:56 AM, DubLow7 said:

Thanks.

Check the cord from the wall socket to the charger, mine has pulled out slightly a couple of times and the charger light stayed green until I pushed the plug fully in to the charger.

On 08/03/2017 at 5:56 PM, DubLow7 said:

Could you take the measurement of output voltage from your charger? If the value is around 63V, that will say the charger is not the problem.

second step : you can remove battery bumper and take the same measure at load connector (when charger is linked). Again if the value is close to 63V, the connector is OK and the problem should come from BMS and/or battery cells.

So, I checked all the connections and that didn't resolve the issue of the Ninebot not charging but definitely appreciate the tips. I also reached out to Segway and the rep thinks I need a new battery; so I think I'm going to order a one and test that out.

Thanks for the tips!

On 1/19/2017 at 10:26 PM, Alex Diaz said:

@SuperSportThat's really nice of you, thanks!! I'm in Santa Barbara, I see you're in No Cal. I'm down to Skype if that's ok? I'm free all weekend. 

I lived in Santa Barbara for about 4 years. What a great town for all things fun. I miss it a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, have you solve the problem and how. I am in the same situation. Battery voltage is 58.4V and would not charge. The charger voltage is 63V down to the battery connector. But the dealer says probably the trouble is in the mainboard and ask me to send the wheel in Germany, but I am in Bulgaria. It will take a long time and a lot of money. Almost as to buy new mainboard. 

8 hours ago, Ch.Eng.62 said:

Hi, have you solve the problem and how. I am in the same situation. Battery voltage is 58.4V and would not charge. The charger voltage is 63V down to the battery connector. But the dealer says probably the trouble is in the mainboard and ask me to send the wheel in Germany, but I am in Bulgaria. It will take a long time and a lot of money. Almost as to buy new mainboard. 

If the charger is 63v and your battery is 58.4v but won't charge, it's not likely the Motherboard.  The charger plugs directly into the battery itself and bypasses the motherboard.  It could be the BMS in the battery, or the battery itself is bad.

BUT, just to be sure, do you have anyone close that you can try another charger?  It is possible that the charger shows enough voltage, but is not pushing it in when plugged in.  Not as likely, but possible.

Thanks, it is also my opinion. I just was not sure enough the charger is going direct to the battery or through the mainboard. But something is limiting the charging current. By the way i dicuss this matter with Ian Sampson from Speedy Feet. Hi also thinks the problem is in battery. New battery is already ordered but I have to wait delivery from Germany. 

I have 9b1 S2 but the charger connectors are different and cannot test

Archived