NYC EU group

johnc415

Hi, just joining.  I learned to ride an SBU V3 a few weeks ago and *loved* it, but decided to get a seatless uniwheel-style EU because I figured it would be easier to take on the subway, bring into restaurants, etc.  I got a TG F3, and rode it around for a weekend, and took it to the (non-electric) unicycle meetup at Grant's Tomb (which was a blast) but ultimately decided to sell it and get my own SBU V3, instead.  The seatless one just doesn't feel as stable, I don't get the same "weeeee!" feeling, and I was also getting a lot of knee pain.  I think it may be because of my leg legnth discrepancy, but who knows, it definitely seems to be just me.

Are there any other SBU riders on the list?  There doesn't seem to be a brand-specific thread for Focus Designs, but I'd love to swap tips.  I'm especially curious if anyone rides them in skirts and how you make that work.  The seatless style EU was definitely more skirt-compatible, but oh well.

Are there any other SBU riders on the list?  There doesn't seem to be a brand-specific thread for Focus Designs, but I'd love to swap tips.  I'm especially curious if anyone rides them in skirts and how you make that work.  The seatless style EU was definitely more skirt-compatible, but oh well.

I am curious about the SBU V3; there have been times while riding when it would have been nice to give the feet a rest without having to stop, and having a seat is an obvious solution.  Unfortunately I find the SBU V3 to be overpriced in terms of the specs offered.  At $1200, a battery spec of 144Wh is quite low, and the range and top speed are both low as well.  For that price range I think I would go with the King Song 18" ewheel which (I think) comes with a cushion so that you may sit.  Either that or buy the Gotway MSuper (which costs a little bit more) and try to figure out a way to attach a seat.  Either one offers a much bigger battery and both makers are held in high regard here in these forums.  Still, I would love to try out the SBU V3 because it looks like it has a great build quality and maybe there are other things about it which might prove to make it worth the price.

I'd be happy to bring it around to the next meet-up and let folks try it out.  The balancing is definitely different -- more twisting, less leaning.  About the specs, a guy in our camp at Burning Man rode his around while carrying lumber from one end of camp to the other, while the rest of us suckers slogged back and forth on foot.  So I figured power wouldn't be a problem.  Actually for me since I'm small (5'4" and 105 lbs) and I live in a fifth-floor walk-up, more batteries = more aggravation.  Boy am I going to have some nice biceps in a couple months.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wait someone has the kingsong 18in in NY. Please tell me about it

It's mine, just got it via @KaleOsaurusRex, what did you want to know? (was curious about the MSuper HS myself, esp if they upgrade the MSuper3 ala the upcoming MCM4, we should compare notes)

I've been doing the Wed meetups @ Central Park since I live close by on the UWS, or I'd be happy to meet up another time.

Edited by houseofjob
add tag

Deff will. Maybe you can pm me next time. I'll actually pm you my phone number and you can text me. Just mention in the text your from EU forums. Have you figured out what the top speed is? Is there any tilt back when you hit the speed? Any info would be awesome. I'm ready to order one myself in a couple days. The MSUPER is so freaking awesome. Ive had it up to 43km so its pretty fast. I love the design of the 18in king song. The only thing I was worried about was if you experienced the shutdown where you have to get off the wheel after riding it hard?

Edited by Donafello

Not really into hitting top speeds, as that feels unsafe to me, but the top alarm is set default to 35kph. Tiltback, or "Rocker" as they call it, is adjustable on top of the 3 levels of beeps, which are also adjustable. I think all Unis have shutdown if you keep speeding past the warnings, right?

Does the MSuper have beeps or tiltback at all? How is turning, are you able to do sharp on the spot pivot/angled turns? (the King Song 18" cannot as there is considerable weight and height)

Sent you a PM.

It's mine, just got it via @KaleOsaurusRex, what did you want to know? (was curious about the MSuper HS myself, esp if they upgrade the MSuper3 ala the upcoming MCM4, we should compare notes)

I've been doing the Wed meetups @ Central Park since I live close by on the UWS, or I'd be happy to meet up another time.

nice, first ks I've seen in ny. How many miles you can get ? And what's the top speed?

nice, first ks I've seen in ny. How many miles you can get ? And what's the top speed?

Again, I'm not really in it for max speed, more for max power for uphill and the cruise quality of the 18", but the top alarm default is 35kph, so I suppose a bit above that. 

Range-wise, I'm not interested in testing the limits and riding the uncomfortable ride of a below 30% battery either, but I've heard in my research it gets real world 30-33 miles, and I'm inclined to believe that based on my use.

Again, I'm not really in it for max speed, more for max power for uphill and the cruise quality of the 18", but the top alarm default is 35kph, so I suppose a bit above that. 

Range-wise, I'm not interested in testing the limits and riding the uncomfortable ride of a below 30% battery either, but I've heard in my research it gets real world 30-33 miles, and I'm inclined to believe that based on my use.

when are you guys meeting up? I would be thrilled to see ks18 in flesh!

We're meeting up at Tavern on the Green tonight @6:30pm 67 Central Park West for anyone who's about.

With or without wheels everyone is welcome!

http://www.hoodriderz.com/blogs/news/39490625-weekly-group-rides-rolls

We did a segment on Fox TV yesterday morning. Check it out here:

Let's try and grow our numbers!!

Edited by Tim Haden