I love my V8, really do, but...

Mono

4 hours ago, Bram said:

Overall I can drive nonchalantly straight without getting a wobble (or maybe i'm just so much of an airhead that I don't even notice the wobbling anymore).

Alright, I didn't mean to say I could not at all drive straight straight with the V8. Just, that I feel quite a bit of instability when driving straight which shows in particular when passing longitudinal grooves. I would say that a 14" Gotway MCM2s doesn't feel that much different in terms of stability, but after all it is a 14" and it feels like I can more easily adjust to wobbles on it. A 16" IPS with a Chao Yang tire of the same width feels considerably more stable on straights but much less agile in producing small curves.

Like you, I am not even close to be tempted to change tire (yet). On the other hand, I found removing the side panel to access the battery relatively smooth, contrary to what had been said by others.

Edited by Mono
  • Upvote 1

I've been riding the V8 for over a month now and am totally in love with it. It is the smoothest, most balanced and responsive, incredibly stable riding wheel I have been on.  I own 4 other wheels, and generally when my tire pressure is lower I experience wobbles and slight delays in motion...when it's 45/50 PSI + it's squirely and over responsive.

I would say to the original issue posted that it is probably a tire pressure thing or rider not in sync with his wheel, yet.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Mono said:

Alright, I didn't mean to say I could not at all drive straight straight with the V8. Just, that I feel quite a bit of instability when driving straight which shows in particular when passing longitudinal grooves. I would say that a 14" Gotway MCM2s doesn't feel that much different in terms of stability, but after all it is a 14" and it feels like I can more easily adjust to wobbles on it. A 16" IPS with a Chao Yang tire of the same width feels considerably more stable on straights but much less agile in producing small curves.

Like you, I am not even close to be tempted to change tire (yet). On the other hand, I found removing the side panel to access the battery relatively smooth, contrary to what had been said by others.

I know this from one of my wheels-KS18- also....And: I have it much more on my KS18 as on the the V3.

The reason for me is the tyre...i can not describe it in english exactly, but the Profil on the V18 has a 1cm wide roundgoing rubber exact in the tyre middle  with rubbergrooves to the left and right.

When i have the pressure high, this grooves have the tendancy to get a hang to the straight rims from Stones of sidewalks....and if you ride exactly beside this rim , the contact of tyregroove and rim can really push you a bit to one side!

On the V3 the rubber Profile is not this Kind, so i did not get this "hanging on Stone rims"

3 hours ago, nomad said:

The tire will make a significant difference on directional stability for sure, the Kenda is more of a slick type great for smooth surfaces and very agile for tight turning. But the Inmotion wheels won't be as stable as a thick wheel for example the ACM 1300Wh that is 'grabbed' between the legs. The thin body allows more play side to side between the legs.. Plus your stance is narrower, think circus act balancing on a board on a stretched line in the air. With a wider stance balance will be more stable than if you put your feet together. So it's a combination of tire type, narrow stance, thin shell and high mounted pedals. Higher pedals are less stable than low pedals because the chassis pivots more higher up, than it does closer to the bottom.

Thanks. This all makes sense now. :) 

Edited by John Eucist
  • Upvote 2

• 6 months later...

Indeed, I was riding for a week or so on 2 bar tire pressure and the wobble is practically gone. Tough call, as I don't want to risk my rim or tube either. 

One big reason I love my little KS14c is because its relative indifference to tire pressure. From between 45 to 60 the wheel feels neutral at all lean angles.

Not so with my V5F+. I have always had handling problems, and it often seems impossibly hard to ride. Other people rave about the handling of the V5F yet to me the wheel is a very difficult wheel to ride. Last weekend I took it out to a park, with my air pump, and tried a lot of different air pressures.

I discovered the air pressure has to be within 52-55 PSI for it to be neutral with me. That's 3 PSI difference, an itty bitty band of good handling surrounded by a gnarly ocean of bad handling. For people who weigh less than 200 pounds, the V5F is probably forgiving but for those approaching and above 200 then you're looking at a very narrow range of tire pressure.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2" Haro tire 16" diameter, and the treads are more logitudinal running with tread arrows smaller than others. It was on Amazon. Very reasonable at $13 and its shape looks like it would minimize that zigzag pattern of the Kenda. 

On a separate note, sometimes when I get the wobbles its just poor foot placement on my part. On the V8 I switch where my feet stand depending on terrain, slope, and speed. I still think the tire contributes to this phenomenon because it has happened on my KS14C while going down hill and it also has the dreaded treaded Kenda.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/7/2017 at 1:33 AM, Mono said:

its directional instability drives me nuts. Driving this wheel straight along longitudinal grooves is more challenging than making small backward circles (which is, admittedly, with this wheel surprisingly easy). I didn't have any crash, but the wobbles are crazy scary and make precise steering super difficult. What is your experience? I suspect the main or even sole reason might be the Kenda tire?

I am now using a different Kenda tyre (see link) and the wobbles have virtually disappeared.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Herbas said:

Where did you buy this tire? I can't find anything similar anywhere. The issue you mentioned before is seriously annoying me.

In this shop physically:

https://www.gyroroue-shop.fr/

It says K1039-007 on the tire, but I can't find it online.

Edited by Mono
  • Upvote 1

On 9/19/2018 at 3:44 PM, Mono said:

In this shop physically:

https://www.gyroroue-shop.fr/

It says K1039-007 on the tire, but I can't find it online.

I have the Kenda k1039 on my KS16S; it has awful directional stability for the first hundred or so miles, especially inflated to 62 psi, but afterwards it becomes more directionally stable until it becomes too difficult to turn. 

I bought mine on Amazon USA. Or, rather, two of them, for $20 each.

Yes, I have three of these exact same Kenda and one innertube with 8 patches in it.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

So...Did a few things that seem to have mitigated the wobbling by big amount (enough to be fun to ride again)...and I thought I’d share. Not entirely sure which action or combination of made the most impact but here they are.

1. Re-installed the inner tube with the valve pointing up

2. Filled air to 50 psi (on stock tire, at least)

3. Placed feet further apart when riding (and possibly even a bit further back than center)

Let me know if it works for anyone else!

On 1/15/2020 at 10:15 PM, Thewheelone said:

So...Did a few things that seem to have mitigated the wobbling by big amount (enough to be fun to ride again)...and I thought I’d share. Not entirely sure which action or combination of made the most impact but here they are.

1. Re-installed the inner tube with the valve pointing up

2. Filled air to 50 psi (on stock tire, at least)

3. Placed feet further apart when riding (and possibly even a bit further back than center)

Let me know if it works for anyone else!

I think the only solution for users with the narrow and quite slick Kenda (the 1,95" tyre) is simply to change it.  Impossible to avoid some wobbling at fast speed and almost impossible to ride it in a straight line for long. Even more if the urban streets are damaged with holes and cracks.