Inmotion V8 or Gotway Msuper V3?

rdalcanto

23 hours ago, houseofjob said:

InMotion is the hardest EUC response, while Gotway is way more soft / wavy / washy, hence slower and softer braking.

Thank you, it's good to know. More points to the Inmotion as my next wheel.

A soft/wavy wheel is outright dangerous when riding at more than 20km/h or jumping curbs or hitting holes. Even on a low-speed historic Solowheel (v.e.r.y wavy), I find it scary. It's the "comfortable mode" on my Firewheel and I avoid it as pest : hitting a hole when the wheel is "wavy" means that I already fly while the wheels tries to get me back to vertical. The "comfortable" mode has failed me many times and it's not so comfortable since it stresses me out so much. I ride at 25km/h so I now systematically use the Firewheel's "sport mode", hard, ultra-responsive and safe.

1 hour ago, hobby16 said:

A soft/wavy wheel is outright dangerous when riding at more than 20km/h or jumping curbs or hitting holes.

What is the point in having soft/ wavy pedals I wonder?  Might be more comfortable for less than 12 kmh, but I also like my ninebot to be level all the time with just a little give when accelerating and braking.

12 minutes ago, steve454 said:

What is the point in having soft, wavy pedals I wonder?  Might be more comfortable for less than 12 kmh, but I also like my ninebot to be level all the time with just a little give when accelerating and braking.

When you ride the V8, you will realize your Ninebot is nowhere near level.  Go straight, slow down and then do a fairly tight 180.  The Ninebot pedals are tilting forward a lot as you are coming out of the turn.  You might be used to it, but after spending several days on the V8, now when I try to ride the Ninebot, I feel like it is going to drop me when I turn like that.  I also don't like idling on the Ninebot, because it feels so sluggish when I change direction.

58 minutes ago, rdalcanto said:

When you ride the V8, you will realize your Ninebot is nowhere near level.  Go straight, slow down and then do a fairly tight 180.  The Ninebot pedals are tilting forward a lot as you are coming out of the turn.  You might be used to it, but after spending several days on the V8, now when I try to ride the Ninebot, I feel like it is going to drop me when I turn like that

Now that you brought that up, that is the major annoyance with my ninebot since upgrading the firmware to 1.4.0..  @Vik's said that it helps you turn, but I kind of accepted that explanation till now.  How does it help you turn?  Maybe it makes you slow down so you don't feel like you're going to fall off.  Like you said, you kind of get used to it, but in the back of my mind I hate it.

I am going to send a complaint through the black box function of the app, when it asks what is the problem I will write, "too much pedal tiltdown in turns"

I agree with you, the pedals should stay flat in all situations, it's interesting that the V8 does that, what about the V5?  @Rehab1?  Did you notice the pedals staying flat on turns on your V5F+?

2 hours ago, houseofjob said:

haha, obviously not! (thought this was the Gotway MCM4 HS)

Not sure this really counts in my comment, it's not really an OEM Gotway, it seems to be a Urban360 re-tooling of MCM2/3(?)-style body with MCM4 innards(?)

yes, looks like it, so in the end it might just have similar riding properties as the MCM4 and not as the MCM2, as it probably uses the MCM4 controller.

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

What is the point in having soft/ wavy pedals I wonder?

I was wondering whether it might be easier to deal with in the very first few hours of learning. 

3 hours ago, rdalcanto said:

The Ninebot pedals are tilting forward a lot as you are coming out of the turn.

My IPS wheels tilt forward when turning, especially in sharp turns. I wish the pedals would stay level. I see no reason for tilting forward when turning. Even though I don't like it, I'm used to it and it does not bother me. I still wonder about it though.

3 hours ago, hobby16 said:

A soft/wavy wheel is outright dangerous when riding at more than 20km/h or jumping curbs or hitting holes. Even on a low-speed historic Solowheel (v.e.r.y wavy), I find it scary. It's the "comfortable mode" on my Firewheel and I avoid it as pest : hitting a hole when the wheel is "wavy" means that I already fly while the wheels tries to get me back to vertical. The "comfortable" mode has failed me many times and it's not so comfortable since it stresses me out so much. I ride at 25km/h so I now systematically use the Firewheel's "sport mode", hard, ultra-responsive and safe.

I agree. My IPS wheels only have two choices: "comfort" (soft) or "sport" (firm). I hate comfort mode. If I lean into the wheel, it's because I want the wheel to respond, not absorb my lean in sloshiness. That's why I only use sport mode.

31 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

My IPS wheels tilt forward when turning, especially in sharp turns. I wish the pedals would stay level. I see no reason for tilting forward when turning. Even though I don't like it, I'm used to it and it does not bother me. I still wonder about it though.

For forward curves it is OK, as I can easily push the outer forefoot down. Backward curves are decisively more difficult with this behavior, as there are limits to how far I can lift the forefoot to push the heel. Maybe it would help to wear heigh heels for this purpose.  

On 03/01/2017 at 1:03 AM, houseofjob said:

I really think the V5 line is a step better than the V8 in terms of all around, well-thought out design and ride quality.

Sorry if I missed the post, but I am still wondering what specifically makes the ride quality different and better?

First off let me say that I loooooove my Msuper V3. It goes everywhere with me. It is a brilliant wheel. Powerful on bumps, high speed and long distance. If that is the sort of fun you are interested in, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I use mine to commute 30km into work and 30km back it's wonderful. High pedals, so less scraping on the ground, and the high pitch noise is barely noticeable when traveling as its mainly behind you and is easily drowned out by wind or traffic noise.  Where it falls flat is on the weight and maneuverability. It is very heavy and highly impractical for carrying up stairs. Because the battery is big and located high in the wheels body, it is a top heavy wheel making it less maneuverable, more prone to damage from a simple stand still drops and it causes the occasional speed wobble.. While it does have a handle for pushing around inside, it feels a little clumsy and awkward. The 18 inch wheels are big and not easily stashed away under a seat in a bus or classroom. This is a wheel made for a high speed travel rather than darting about, doing tricks or carrying about.

In conclusion

Speed, power, comfort, bumpy surface, long distance = MSuper V3

Maneuverability, light weight, less distance, tricks, lower top speed, flat surface, easily stashed away = Something Smaller.

From what you outlined in your original post, (and I get the feeling you already know this from some of the comments you made) The MSuper V3 probably isn't the wheel for you.

Going to the gym 2km then back home 2km. Then to the train 4km, then from the train to work 3km. Then from work to the supermarket 2km, then 2km to the train. Then 4km from the train home. That's 7 trips on such a day about 20km total. I had the Msuper v3 but having both wheels I picked the V5F+ because it was the better choice. The Msuper was too bulky, dirty and heavy for this type of use... It was great in the weekends on my free time but not for commuting. I have the V5F+ and it's great but the range is limiting in cold temperatures (sub zero celcius). Getting 20km out of it but I end up under 20% battery left and can not really make any longer detours going to a friend or to the mall or something without recharging it during the day.

The ACM 1300Wh would be great if it had a good trolley and was reliable but that's holding me back... So for now I stick to the V5F+ which is excellent except the range and the speed is a little low.. Personally I think the KS16S might be the best all rounder for me now, we'll see if I go for it!

20 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Ah yes, keep forgetting the new KingSong's are harder response than my mkII 800W... bodes well for my coming KS18 purchase, either the mkIV(?) or the redesign one!

Have you been on the V5 or V8 yet to compare with your 1200W KS18? Can't imagine they've gotten that hard, as InMotion has now trumped Ninebot/Segway for hardest EUC response.

No, unfortunately no V8 or v5 experience....

the hardest and aggressive pedalwise i have ever rode was a Mcm2s 680wh!!!

unfortunatly GW did not bring this ridemode to its newer wheels ...none is comparable to the Mcm2s...

15 hours ago, hobby16 said:

A soft/wavy wheel is outright dangerous when riding at more than 20km/h or jumping curbs or hitting holes. 

Yes, going 40km/h+ was super scary on the MSuper3s+, not having a hard brake or acceleration pedal response. But like all things, I imagine I would get used to it and adjust.

15 hours ago, steve454 said:

What is the point in having soft/ wavy pedals I wonder? 

3 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

unfortunatly GW did not bring this ridemode to its newer wheels ...none is comparable to the Mcm2s...

In the Gotway case, I really don't think they ideally wanted to make EUCs with soft / "wavy" pedal response.

Seems more like a business decision a few years back to differentiate themselves / their wheels from brands like Airwheel / IPS, and to a lesser extent, SoloWheel.

Instead of making similar type wheels with similar specs to the other companies, it seems Gotway pushed in the direction of high performance / high speed, and along the way, torque / hard pedal response was sacrificed a bit. 

Just my 2 cents, outside looking in.

14 hours ago, rdalcanto said:

When you ride the V8, you will realize your Ninebot is nowhere near level.  Go straight, slow down and then do a fairly tight 180.  The Ninebot pedals are tilting forward a lot as you are coming out of the turn.  You might be used to it, but after spending several days on the V8, now when I try to ride the Ninebot, I feel like it is going to drop me when I turn like that.  I also don't like idling on the Ninebot, because it feels so sluggish when I change direction.

I concur. 

I think the recent advent of the InMotion wheels invented the concept of doing tight 180º turns in one place, on account of their swiveling feel and high, contoured pedals. They really 1-uped the Ninebot One blueprint, obviously having the benefit of coming long after the introduction of the Ninebot One line.

And it's always funny how an EUC you were so used to can feel so foreign after switching wheels / models.

13 hours ago, Mono said:

yes, looks like it, so in the end it might just have similar riding properties as the MCM4 and not as the MCM2, as it probably uses the MCM4 controller.

No way to tell with these Frankenstein-type wheels; I'm sure they can adjust that as well.

10 hours ago, Mono said:

Sorry if I missed the post, but I am still wondering what specifically makes the ride quality different and better?

Good catch! ; )

I've been lazily procrastinating my V5F+ vs V8 post, but will use this as the impetus to finally post! Stay tuned (will tag you when I do).

3 hours ago, nomad said:

Going to the gym 2km then back home 2km. Then to the train 4km, then from the train to work 3km. Then from work to the supermarket 2km, then 2km to the train. Then 4km from the train home. That's 7 trips on such a day about 20km total. I had the Msuper v3 but having both wheels I picked the V5F+ because it was the better choice. The Msuper was too bulky, dirty and heavy for this type of use... It was great in the weekends on my free time but not for commuting. I have the V5F+ and it's great but the range is limiting in cold temperatures (sub zero celcius). Getting 20km out of it but I end up under 20% battery left and can not really make any longer detours going to a friend or to the mall or something without recharging it during the day.

Yes!! I also pick EUCs for the scenario.

My V5F+ is my:

• commuter workhorse: my daily commute is 1 mile, one-way, with an extra charger sitting at work
  • my local neighborhood grocery shopping / errand runner: 3 miles max runs on average; easier to stand on the ground while waiting in line
  • weekend backpacker: compact enough to carry and fit easily on the train & family members' cars

My KS-18A (and now Monster) is my:

• inclement weather commuter: with rain or snow creating slick road conditions, I feel way safer going mid-level speeds on a heavier EUC with wider tread (2.5" x 18" tire vs 1.95" x 14" tire)
  • weekend long-range voyager: super comfortable riding long distances with the ability to sit-recover any pain in my feet.

On ‎04‎.‎01‎.‎2017 at 2:20 AM, steve454 said:

Now that you brought that up, that is the major annoyance with my ninebot since upgrading the firmware to 1.4.0..  @Vik's said that it helps you turn, but I kind of accepted that explanation till now.  How does it help you turn?  Maybe it makes you slow down so you don't feel like you're going to fall off.  Like you said, you kind of get used to it, but in the back of my mind I hate it.

I am going to send a complaint through the black box function of the app, when it asks what is the problem I will write, "too much pedal tiltdown in turns"

I agree with you, the pedals should stay flat in all situations, it's interesting that the V8 does that, what about the V5?  @Rehab1?  Did you notice the pedals staying flat on turns on your V5F+?

I can definitely say that the lean in turn is helping me. Almost the same way as with motorcycles, further you lean, the tighter the turn.

Archived