Inmotion V8 or Gotway Msuper V3?

rdalcanto

3 riders in the family, so getting ready to pull the trigger on another EUC.  Everyone loves the V8.  We are not doing any long commuting, so the range of the V8 is fine, and we don't need to go any faster.  Pretty much just plan to go to the park to play and ride around the neighborhood.  As a mountain biker, the idea of going off road intrigues me, but the risk of injury might be too much, and I may never actually go on real single track with the EUC (for which the Gotway would be better I believe).  The Gotway is a lot heavier.  Does the Gotway handle like a truck in comparison?  Is it less fun if just playing around?  My oldest will be going to college next fall, and I see him taking one with him to get around campus.  The V8, it would seem, would be easier to take to class, carry up stairs if necessary, and maybe slide under a seat.  On paper, the V8 seems to win out.  I just want to be sure I'm not missing something.  First hand experience from someone who has ridden both would be great!  (I thought about KS18, but that thing is just too darn tall!).

Thanks guys!  :cheers:

11 minutes ago, Tomek said:

How about the ACM as an in-between solution? (guess that's going to be my next wheel)

Because the ACM is also a 16 inch, and I don't desire more speed, I see no reason to give up the light weight and quality of the V8 for an ACM.  The MSuper is tempting because of the 18 inch wheel, but I wonder about the weight and the impact on low speed handling and fun factor.  I did see the post somewhere on here about the motor wires that came apart on the MSuper and how lucky the owner was that it didn't cause a crash.  That has me hesitant to consider the Gotway as well....

4 hours ago, rdalcanto said:

Does the Gotway handle like a truck in comparison?

Having driven both (own the V8, multi-hour test drive on @logos122's MSuper3S+), no.

Main difference is really the driving feel of the 2 companies, size / weight regardless. 

InMotion is the hardest EUC response, while Gotway is way more soft / wavy / washy, hence slower and softer braking.

Only other thing is, as you enter into 18" EUCs, turning is more active and above the hips, not just simple and passive angling between the legs.

Is it less fun if just playing around?

Less fun? No, different fun!

MSuper3 or any 18" is not really the optimal size to do tricks in a specific area, although you totally can.

2" differences between 14/16/18 are all relative, but, obviously, tricking in one space is best on the smallest 14", then 16", etc.

My oldest will be going to college next fall, and I see him taking one with him to get around campus.  The V8, it would seem, would be easier to take to class, carry up stairs if necessary, and maybe slide under a seat. 

As you seem to be satisfied with your V8 purchase, for your oldest here, I would really recommend the V5F+ from eWheels (not any other variant; ~27lbs, 3lbs lighter than the V8 & waaay lighter than the MSuper3). That is, if you can stomach the 15-16MPH top speed.

Honestly, the more I ride both V5F+ & V8, except for top speed obviously, I really think the V5 line is a step better than the V8 in terms of all around, well-thought out design and ride quality. Though both carry the InMotion DNA, more development was put into the V5 line, and it shows.

I've driven everything in my sig plus the MSuper3S+ (except for my Monster which is en route!), and I would argue the V5 is the best EUC I've ever owned (obviously throwing out the needs of super-fast and super-long-range).

note: all Gotway EUCs have a loud, non-cancellable 3rd alarm speed warning that cannot be turned down in volume, something to keep in mind going around a college campus.

note: although I love 18" and above EUC's, there is, visually, a natural prejudice amongst pedestrians towards you. When I'm riding my KS18A down NYC streets, ppl jump out of the way as if I'm riding a big-a** motorcycle, as opposed to when I'm on my V5, people tend to treat me more like I'm on a toy (go figure).

=========

The MSuper3 series is really all about going fast speeds with long-range comfort. If these are not your top priorities, carrying a 40+ lb EUC up stairs can be cumbersome.

Really can't go wrong with any of the named EUCs though, all excellent choices, just more specified for certain uses than others.

Great reply HOJ!  Wish I could give you 10 likes.  The part about EUC response was really helpful.  I LOVE the pedal feel of the V8.  I find the Ninebot way to mushy, even on 0.  If the Gotway is soft, I don't think I would like that.  Also, how is the pedal height on the Gotway?  One thing I dislike on the Ninebot, is the constant rubbing of the pedals on the ground with sharp turns.  I also don't like how the Ninebot pedals feel like they are tilting down when you come out of a tight turn (it feels like you are going to get dropped off the front).  The V8 is so much better in both those areas.

21 hours ago, rdalcanto said:

Great reply HOJ!  Wish I could give you 10 likes.  The part about EUC response was really helpful.  I LOVE the pedal feel of the V8.  I find the Ninebot way to mushy, even on 0.  If the Gotway is soft, I don't think I would like that.

Ha, no problem. General rule of thumb, InMotion has the hardest feel of all the [current gen] major EUC brands, then Ninebot/Segway #2, then IPS.

Interestingly, the performance brands of Gotway & KingSong [current gen wheels] are the softest (Gotway softest, then maybe KingSong), but if you love top speed, you will easily excuse this and get used to it. (planning brakes ahead of time, etc.)

24 minutes ago, rdalcanto said:

Also, how is the pedal height on the Gotway?

Forgot the exact specs, but it's comparable to the InMotions at somewhere under 6". (Also, both Gotway MSuper3 & InMotion pedals do a minor V-angling, as opposed to the flatter Ninebot pedal angle)

Turning radius is more restricted compared to InMotion, however, by the wider and more rectangular MSuper pedals. You can interchange the stock pedals for any of the Gotway line pedals (ACM, MCM4), but people tend to buy the MSuper series partly due to their nebulous, gigantor pedals.

26 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Interestingly, the performance brands of Gotway & KingSong are the softest (Gotway softest, then maybe KingSong), but if you love top speed, you will easily excuse this and get used to it. (planning brakes ahead of time, etc.)

That's interesting, I would have thought the high performance wheels would not have soft pedals.

15 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

people tend to buy the MSuper series partly due to their nebulous, gigantor pedals.

Do you know if those pedals would fit a Ninebot?  Those pedals are one of the things I like about the MSuper.

5 minutes ago, steve454 said:

That's interesting, I would have thought the high performance wheels would not have soft pedals.

If you think more about it, it makes sense; you sacrifice the torque to make the EUC go / spin faster.

6 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Do you know if those pedals would fit a Ninebot?  Those pedals are one of the things I like about the MSuper.

Dunno. @logos122 has tried the MSuper3 pedals on a V5, but he said, while they fit, the pedal angling is wrong / too severe.

I would imagine MSuper pedals would similarly be able to fit a Ninebot, but the pedal angle would be the potential issue.

6 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

you sacrifice the torque to make the EUC go / spin faster.

Hmm, I'll have to think about that some more, I love torque and wouldn't want to sacrifice it for speed, because my wheel is already faster than I like to ride.

Which is to say, fall:o

2 hours ago, rdalcanto said:

easier to take to class, carry up stairs if necessary, and maybe slide under a seat.

99% of the time I strongly prefer 16 inches vs. 14. However, taking the wheel to the college campus where I work, I prefer the light weight and compact size of the 14 incher. 16 is too heavy and bulky for carrying around, taking in and out of buildings, finding a place to put it, and navigating crowds of students.

@rdalcanto, or anyone with a V8, roughly what is your range per charge (from full battery to say 20%)?  My daughter wants a Uni-wheel and I'm thinking my Ninebot One C+ is perfect for her at her age and weight.  That leads me to get a new wheel for me.  At 205-210lbs with clothes on, I would like to get at least 12 miles per charge.  I'm currently considering the V8, KS-16s (when released) or Gotway ACM. MSuper v3 is in the mix also.  I'm okay with going inside the unit and verifying/beefing up the wiring and connectors in the case of units with questionable QC records.  But really don't like having to do that given the cost of the wheels.

Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, Wagtenor said:

@rdalcanto, or anyone with a V8, roughly what is your range per charge (from full battery to say 20%)?  My daughter wants a Uni-wheel and I'm thinking my Ninebot One C+ is perfect for her at her age and weight.  That leads me to get a new wheel for me.  At 205-210lbs with clothes on, I would like to get at least 12 miles per charge.  I'm currently considering the V8, KS-16s (when released) or Gotway ACM. MSuper v3 is in the mix also.  I'm okay with going inside the unit and verifying/beefing up the wiring and connectors in the case of units with questionable QC records.  But really don't like having to do that given the cost of the wheels.

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately I can't answer the range question with 100% certainty because we haven't had nice enough weather to go out for a long time.  But 12 miles should be no problem as long as you don't have big hills or aren't at the upper speed limit the entire time.  I haven't tried the other wheels on your list, but the V8 is way better and more fun than our C+.  Has your daughter been riding the C+ yet?

19 minutes ago, rdalcanto said:

Unfortunately I can't answer the range question with 100% certainty because we haven't had nice enough weather to go out for a long time.  But 12 miles should be no problem as long as you don't have big hills or aren't at the upper speed limit the entire time.  I haven't tried the other wheels on your list, but the V8 is way better and more fun than our C+.  Has your daughter been riding the C+ yet?

Thanks for the response.  She's tried a little to ride, she hasn't spent much time because of the outdoor temps, but she much prefers the uni-wheel to her hoverboard.  So this coming weekend (weather permitting) I will teach her to ride.  Wife won't let me teach her indoors - and I understand that.

And yes, I'm trying to get the wife interested as well... but that will have to wait till spring/summer unfortunately.

oh yes we do have lots of hills here in this part of Western Maryland, USA. 

@Wagtenor

In my experience, max range is a function of battery size, brand regardless (maybe slightly better on the newer 84v operational wheels like InMotion, newer Gotway MSuper/Monster/ACM).

As @Cloud at similar body weight tops out at 20 miles on a 680wh KS14 (ideal conditions), the math says on a 460wh battery, the max ideal should be about 13.5 miles, so you should be fine on any wheel 460wh (InMotion V8) and above (basically all the other options you are stating).

If you don't want to ride in the sub-20% range on cripple mode (I personally avoid at all costs), then you should definitely get something 680wh or above (KingSong & Gotway, excludes all InMotion).

9 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@Wagtenor

In my experience, max range is a function of battery size, brand regardless (maybe slightly better on the newer 84v operational wheels like InMotion, newer Gotway MSuper/Monster/ACM).

As @Cloud at similar body weight tops out at 20 miles on a 680wh KS14 (ideal conditions), the math says on a 460wh battery, the max ideal should be about 13.5 miles, so you should be fine on any wheel 460wh (InMotion V8) and above (basically all the other options you are stating).

If you don't want to ride in the sub-20% range on cripple mode (I personally avoid at all costs), then you should definitely get something 680wh or above (KingSong & Gotway, excludes all InMotion).

@houseofjobAll very Good points. Thanks for that. I agree the V8 with it's current battery size might be too small to lug around my weight without going deep into low battery region.  

I'll look into the Gotway/King Song offerings.

Thanks.

11 hours ago, houseofjob said:

If you think more about it, it makes sense; you sacrifice the torque to make the EUC go / spin faster.

11 hours ago, steve454 said:

I can agree that the Msuper V3 is really very soft....but not my KS18 (1200W 40kmh Version)! The pedal Setting on hardest mode is rock hard and much better than on KS16(middle) or KS14(very soft)..... Perhaps you have the 800W KS18 Version???

Also the torque is a totally different Feeling on both wheels...The KS18 is going a totally different route than the V3...ist much  better in braking and torque-powerwise on low speeds, while accelerating to high speed goes faster on the V3!

If i dont know it better i would say they both have a different "gear-set"......Or to compare it with cars: They both have the same Horsepower...but the V3 runs like on "gasoline" and the KS18 on "diesel" :-)

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

I can agree that the Msuper V3 is really very soft....but not my KS18 (1200W 40kmh Version)! The pedal Setting on hardest mode is rock hard and much better than on KS16(middle) or KS14(very soft)..... Perhaps you have the 800W KS18 Version???

Ah yes, keep forgetting the new KingSong's are harder response than my mkII 800W... bodes well for my coming KS18 purchase, either the mkIV(?) or the redesign one!

Have you been on the V5 or V8 yet to compare with your 1200W KS18? Can't imagine they've gotten that hard, as InMotion has now trumped Ninebot/Segway for hardest EUC response.

I have a ninebot wheel 16 and a Msuper wheel 18 and ninebot is much more fun and maneuverable at low speeds, for example riding and talking to a person walking, or shooting in areas with many people, 16 is much better , With the Msuper is more difficult and more uncomfortable, the engine of the Msuper makes a noise (hissing) annoying for people who are not accustomed and carry it on by the handle inside the buildings can be an uncomfortable situation, the acm could be a good Option for maneuverability weight speed and frontal flashlight, sorry for the Google translation

6 hours ago, houseofjob said:

InMotion has now trumped Ninebot/Segway for hardest EUC response.

I don't think I could say that my Gotway MCM2s in madden mode and with full battery is softer than my V8. The Gotway feels even more aggressive, though not necessarily harder. It is difficult to describe what this difference is.

14 minutes ago, Mono said:

I don't think I could say that my Gotway MCM2s in madden mode and with full battery is softer than my V8. The Gotway feels even more aggressive, though not necessarily harder. It is difficult to describe what this difference is.

Sorry, should've prefaced that my comment is regarding current gen products of each brand, not prior (fixed now).

4 minutes ago, Mono said:

did you click on the link to see the wheel I am referring to?

haha, obviously not! (thought this was the Gotway MCM4 HS)

Not sure this really counts in my comment, it's not really an OEM Gotway, it seems to be a Urban360 re-tooling of MCM2/3(?)-style body with MCM4 innards(?)

Archived