How hot should and MCM4 HS be running?

Duf

I took my MCM4 HS for a 10 mile ride today with an ambient air temperature of about 72 degrees.  The ride was totally flat and I averaged 13-15 mph.  The Gotway app showed the wheel temperature as 50+ degrees Celsius pretty much the entire time, topping out at 53 degrees.  Although this was only yellow temps according to the app, this seems warmer than I am used to seeing other wheels get.  Maybe these wheels just run this hot but I was wondering if somebody else could chime in what their normal running temps are?

9 hours ago, Duf said:

what their normal running temps are?

Interesting, I just checked my app today to look at the temperature, ambient was about 60 degrees, the wheel went up to about 127 degrees, well below being too hot, but the path I rode was mostly level with a few minor climbs up some short hills, about 50 feet at a 10/11 degree slope.  Also I never went faster than about 12.5 mph, average speed 7.5.  My weight about 200 lbs.  And I only rode 2.8 miles.

Sorry, never got the chance to ride a Gotway, but they seem to be excellent wheels.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the Gotway ACM 820wh.  So far the temperature during a normal outing plateaus at about 33-35 deg C.  The ambient outdoor temp at about 33-40 deg F.  My weight with winter and safety gear about 218 lbs.  Riding on smooth tarmac and sidewalk with some small inclines.  During normal cruise speed the temp of the wheel stays mostly at 33 deg C according to WheelLog app.  I average between 15mph and 18mph.

But MCM and ACM are different designs with different wheel size and CB.  Not sure about motor, but suspect they are different too.

I'll have to wait until spring/summer to get wheel temperature data points in warmer ambient temps. Hasn't been 70 deg F here in a while. I suspect the wheel temps will be hotter, but not sure how much hotter.

On 1/1/2017 at 8:18 AM, Duf said:

I took my MCM4 HS for a 10 mile ride today with an ambient air temperature of about 72 degrees.  The ride was totally flat and I averaged 13-15 mph.  The Gotway app showed the wheel temperature as 50+ degrees Celsius pretty much the entire time, topping out at 53 degrees.  Although this was only yellow temps according to the app, this seems warmer than I am used to seeing other wheels get.  Maybe these wheels just run this hot but I was wondering if somebody else could chime in what their normal running temps are?

Im usually riding between 18-21mph on my ACM. Temp after wheel is warmed up, ranges between 50-65 Celsius depending on how hard i am pushing it, inclines, etc. air temperatures in the bay area been anywhere from 34-55 Freinheight. I weigh about 145lb. So if your getting less then 60 Celsius and weigh more then me, i think you are doing fine. These GotWay PCBs are supposed to handle up to 80 Celsius. Warning is supposed to come in once it hits 70 Celsius. 

On 1/27/2017 at 8:05 AM, NevNutz said:

Im usually riding between 18-21mph on my ACM. Temp after wheel is warmed up, ranges between 50-65 Celsius depending on how hard i am pushing it, inclines, etc. air temperatures in the bay area been anywhere from 34-55 Freinheight. I weigh about 145lb. So if your getting less then 60 Celsius and weigh more then me, i think you are doing fine. These GotWay PCBs are supposed to handle up to 80 Celsius. Warning is supposed to come in once it hits 70 Celsius. 

Yea evidently I just had a poor understanding of the normal operating range of the wheel.

Archived