When to change the battery in hoverboard?

Elizabeth Daggett

This forum is geared toward electric unicycles (higher voltage, higher battery capacity than a hoverboard), though all battery-powered devices share similar vulnerabilities when it comes to Li-ion packs.

Some riders have put thousands of km on the same battery. Some encounter failures much sooner. Shorter battery life and/or erratic fluctuations in charging or capacity can be signs of a battery on its way out. Inconsistencies in quality control can make battery packs — and the internal wiring and control systems — unpredictable, particularly over time. If your unit won't turn on, or battery won't keep a charge, or runs through a charge unusually quickly, you might benefit from a replacement battery. Then again, there may be any number of other issues at play, including faulty wiring or circuitry, for which the diagnosis or repair may exceed your unit's value.

• 1 month later...

We've repaired over 500 hoverboards at our shop so we're beginning to get an idea of this now.

Typically speaking, I'd say that the average battery lasts anywhere between 6 months and 18 months. The way you use your battery is very important. Any overcharging hurts the lifespan. You also don't want to leave the battery without use for any longer than 30 days. Leaving it for 90 days might begin to cause slight harm to it. Charging it to full and then not using it is also really bad for the battery.

Any other questions feel free to ask!

Daniel

2 hours ago, StreetSaw Hoverboards said:

You also don't want to leave the battery without use for any longer than 30 days.

Are you saying that cycling the battery can increase its life expectancy? Given we keep the battery at 30%-50% charge, how does cycling help to increase the battery life?

20 hours ago, Mono said:

Are you saying that cycling the battery can increase its life expectancy? Given we keep the battery at 30%-50% charge, how does cycling help to increase the battery life?

Leaving it at approximately 33% is the most ideal from what my engineers have told me. I've also been advised to never store is for long periods of time if it is completely full. I'm not necessarily suggesting "cycling" as from my understanding lithium ion does not need that kind of maintenance. However, I've noticed that the customers who come in to our store who have the best experiences are those who are regularly using their boards. We've had many times where customers will come in and the hoverboard will not work, and then here comes the story about how it "sat in a garage for the past several months."

So, my advice is merely from experience as a repair center, and not necessarily that of an engineer. We have had boards stored at about 30% in the warehouse for periods of time as long as 6-9 months before and most were fine, just in need of a charge. However, for boards that we've stored any longer than 12 months, it is very common to see dead or poor battery performance.

Archived