Protecting your chick magnet

rdalcanto

Who doesn't want to keep their chick magnet smooth and shiny?  Are scuffs inevitable?  How long do you wait to take all the foam pads off the sides?  I think that it is Murphy's law that if I ride for an hour without a single fall, that the second I take the foam off it is going to tip over....  

Is a clear vinyl (automotive type clear bra) effective?

31 minutes ago, rdalcanto said:

Yes. Until you throw it down the road. ?

Anyway, didn't you know; chicks dig scars.

so why not on your wheel too? Think of it as a future "rat rod". The anti-cool, cool

I learned on a cheap generic wheel which I scuffed up before I taped some padding onto the side.  Once I got proficient at riding I trimmed the padding down to just cushion my legs over the side panels.  When i got my Ninebot One E+, I just placed some automotive trim a la @SuperSport to help stop scuffing the underparts of the pedals, and that's about it.  I haven't scuffed mine up except dropping off a curb at the wrong angle and clipping the plastic housing at the bottom a little.  @Rehab1 who likes to give his Ninebot wedgies ;)  has placed some clear and black automotive trim in strategic spots on his V8 and V5F+ wheels along with his Ninebot which is a smart idea (just don't tell him that or his head will get bigger than it already is to the point of Hunka sized ego).

I ride only in a forwards direction and on fairly easy terrain except for the odd off-roading trek on some dirt paths.  I haven't dropped or wiped out yet, but it's always a possibility.  Luckily the Ninebots have replaceable clamshell covers and parts available.  Mine might be trickier to fix if I ever damage it though as I have limited edition graphics on it.

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

When i got my Ninebot One E+, I just placed some automotive trim a la @SuperSport to help stop scuffing my underpants, and that's about it.  I haven't scuffed mine up except dropping off a curb at the wrong angle...

Eeewwww!!!

On 12/18/2016 at 11:20 AM, rdalcanto said:

Are scuffs inevitable?

As I look at the TG T3 I learned on, I see it has some bad scrapes and gashes. I remember falls and crashes were much more frequent and severe in the learning stage. Nowadays for me, falling is so rare that it's a surprise when it happens, BUT IT DOES HAPPEN. I've noticed though, as an experienced rider my occasional falls are minor, usually the wheel simply falling over rather than sliding across the ground or banging into things. So my wheels do have some minor scuffs, but thanks to the scratch-resistant plastic and matte finish used by IPS, the scuffs are hard to see.

11 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

<_<  Strange how unreliable that quoting system can be, but these are some of the risks of riding pantless!  :laughbounce2:

This protective wear helps, but it can scuff!

nuttypackage-nb.jpg

Emmmm! Nutty buddy! There are so many differs spins on that " interesting" name, I'm not sure I want to even go there, for fear of opening  a huge can of double entente worms.  I will say this though:

true story. The first time I encountered a cup, was when I was about 12.  I was up at the school playing fields and there was a bunch of cricket gear lying around. I picked up this, yet to be identified small white palstic cup thingy, and not knowing what it was I thought it might be some sort of mask, so I put it over my mouth and nose ??. Yeah, it had been used recently. ?

On 18/12/2016 at 4:20 PM, rdalcanto said:

Who doesn't want to keep their chick magnet smooth and shiny?  Are scuffs inevitable?  How long do you wait to take all the foam pads off the sides?  I think that it is Murphy's law that if I ride for an hour without a single fall, that the second I take the foam off it is going to tip over....  

Never take the foam off. You never know when the next fall will happen. I haven't fallen for over a year, but my foam remains :)

On 18.12.2016 at 5:20 PM, rdalcanto said:

Who doesn't want to keep their chick magnet smooth and shiny?

From my point of view you don't have to worry about the chicks when riding on a EUC - they smile at me on every ride. Although I'm having no experience with clear vinyl bras I guess they like what they see... :D

9 hours ago, One said:

From my point of view you don't have to worry about the chicks when riding on a EUC - they smile at me on every ride. Although I'm having no experience with clear vinyl bras I guess they like what they see... :D

Maybe you look like the 20 year old Sylvester Stallone, so the EUC look is not that important ... :D (yes I know we are a Macho forum, we definitely need some female posters here :crying: ).

Seriously: I confess, my first wheel I learned on, was a borrowed white KS16, and it was so scratched, that my additional scratches didn't make a difference.

When I bought my own, black one, I first drove with a safety belt connection to the wheel, so that it could not run away too far, or when it fell to one side I could keep it up on the belt. Now, since the last 1000 kilometers I drive with no belt, and the wheel doesn't look bad (maybe scratches can't be seen that easy on black, but I also very rarely fall or need to jump off. The only viewable scratches are on the right pedal).

I think, after some time, when you feel as comfortable as on a bicycle, you don't need foam pads or comparable things on the wheel anymore.

3 minutes ago, HermanTheGerman said:

Maybe you look like the 20 year old Sylvester Stallone, so the EUC look is not that important ... :D

Exactly.  I look like Sylvester Stallone too, a really old, slightly fat, glasses wearing Stallone.  Maybe that's why the chicks never look at me, unless it is with an expression like they smell something funny and can't figure out where it's coming from. ?

I sometimes go on a town run, and find myself coincident on the cycle path at just the wrong time, with hundreds of school kids walking the other way.

I don't know what it is about me and my wheel, but small groups of incessantly smirking school girls seem to find it utterly hilarious. 

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

I don't know what it is about me and my wheel, but small groups of incessantly smirking school girls seem to find it utterly hilarious.

I know what you mean.  girls often laugh at me and that weird thing between my legs; unfortunately, I'm nowhere near my wheel at the time. ?

19 hours ago, Smoother said:

I know what you mean.  girls often laugh at me and that weird thing between my legs; unfortunately, I'm nowhere near my wheel at the time. ?

People often laugh and point as I ride past, but when I look down to see what they are laughing/pointing at, all I can see is my Fat Unicyclist Stomach  :huh:

4 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

People often laugh and point as I ride past, but when I look down to see what they are laughing/pointing at, all I can see is my Fat Unicyclist Stomach  :huh:

This does give rise to the possibility that you forgot to put on trousers, which, potentially, puts you in the same embarrassing situation I confessed to, above ?

3 minutes ago, Smoother said:

This does give rise to the possibility that you forgot to put on trousers, which, potentially, puts you in the embarrassing situation I confessed to, above ?

That might explain why it seemed particularly chilly that day...

• 4 months later...

Scratches bother me a lot so much so that I ended up buying a set of spare pedals and outer shell for my V5F. I do use quite a bit of foam padding; I'm on my sixth roll as I look at it like a consumable item. I notice where the foam isn't needed is where the foam looks new.

Leading edges of the footpads and the front edges of the wheel seem most likely to hit.

The thing that scares me the most, makes me absolutely freeze up, is when I go over a tiny rock, it gets picked up by the wheel, and then I hear it going ping ping ping inside the wheel before eventually being spat out. One of those is sure to lock my wheel up. If I don't hear it get spat out I stop and shake the wheel.

I go through gravel roads with a resigned fervor reserved for condemned criminals.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

Scratches bother me a lot so much so that I ended up buying a set of spare pedals and outer shell for my V5F.

Have you tried apply the transparent vinyl provided the 'bundle' pack? It's pretty resilient, helps keep the Wheel scratch free. 

Archived