EUC Touring/training club business

ALinCuenca

Hello, I 'd like to pick your brain.

Is anyone here with experience of running businesses? I am exploring the idea of starting an EUC touring and training club in a small tourist town. I'd like your thoughts and suggests.

There would be a maximum of 10 adult participants. Each session would last for one hour.Helmet and protective gear would be provided.There would be a variety of different popular EUC models to choose from a total of say 15.

Beginners would be charged more and experienced riders less to off-set the damage. One-off none-members will pay more. Members will accrue points/discounts/cashback as they participate to buy an EUC for themselves from the club. Members with their own EUC's can participate and pay the least.

Other activities can be incorporated in the sessions including swimming in the river, picnic/lunch and a drink in the local bar.

The questions I have

1)What would people be prepared to €pay for a one-hour supervised session if they are:

a) a one-off beginner non-member,

B) a one-off experienced non-member,

c) a beginner member,

d) an experienced member, and

e) an experienced member with their own wheel.

2)What do I do about risk of injury other than providing protective gear and first aid kit, and getting first aid training? Should I get insurance to cover my back?

3)What could possibly go wrong?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, ALinCuenca said:

2)What do I do about risk of injury other than providing protective gear and first aid kit, and getting first aid training? Should I get insurance to cover my back?

Get in contact with a lawyer and clarify if it is possible to formulate a legally binding waiver regarding injuries and death of participants to be signed from them.

9 hours ago, ALinCuenca said:

There would be a maximum of 10 adult participants. Each session would last for one hour.Helmet and protective gear would be provided.

Beginners won't learn riding within one hour and you'd need much personel - 2 per beginner to balance them. For sure there are exceptions like some wrote here that they learnt riding within 20 minutes - but thats imho something you can't count on.

so for a  tourist spending one hour without him beeing able to ride afterwards you imho won't be able to get him satisfied and earn enough money to pay your employees and yourself...

thats imho something for resellers, who earn by then selling some wheels - but the tourists will buy at home and not from you...

There would be a variety of different popular EUC models to choose from a total of say 15.

You need to repair them and keep spare parts on hold - the more different wheels you have the more expensive this will get.

you'll need every 3-500 charges a new battery pack, you'd have to calculate new motherboards, broken axles, replacement shells ... so your main interest should be well available and affordable spare parts EUCs are not known for having the top quality and live forever, also if one treats them well and/or one has good luck they survive a couple of thousand kilometers...

as there are some reports now from the new gotway you'd need also someone with soldering capabilities...

Beginners would be charged more and experienced riders less to off-set the damage.

Beginners maybe make more scratches from "slow" falls. With experienced riders you should have less incidents, but if one happens chances could be higher that the damage is much more expensive.

additionally noone wants to be classified as beginner - just if one did never ride before. Imho this will lead to much discussion and resantisment of who is experienced and who is beginner... if for example you have a good customer who already came 10 times - you would have to give him the cheaper experienced rider price. Since you want to motivate him and keep him coming - also if he cant really drive inbetween. Imho such a modell just leads to anger and problems... and bad reviews at tripadvisor....

One-off none-members will pay more. Members will accrue points/discounts/cashback as they participate to buy an EUC for themselves from the club. Members with their own EUC's can participate and pay the least.

You are in a tourist down? Or are there many people who spend each year their holidays there?

Other activities can be incorporated in the sessions including swimming in the river, picnic/lunch and a drink in the local bar.

You are in a nice red wine area? I'd like to visit spain for making some tasting rounds!

The questions I have

1)What would people be prepared to €pay for a one-hour supervised session if they are:

a) a one-off beginner non-member,

B) a one-off experienced non-member,

c) a beginner member,

d) an experienced member, and

e) an experienced member with their own wheel.

You should compare the prices with your direct competitors. Guided bus, bycicle, segway and walking tours. Plus some supplement for the new coolness factor of the wheels.

a problem imho is, that you have to learn the people driving for a very reasonable price and then earn money with the tours...

In addition to the waiver you'd for sure need some general liability insurance.

3)What could possibly go wrong?

Whats the legal status of wheels in spain. Can your business be turned down everytime because they are not legal on streets/sideways/forest paths/etc...?

if you risk the business even without an explicit legal status this could also void the waivers/liability insurance!

edit: one main problem of every business is of course spending too much money with not enough income?. You'll have to buy replace and repair your wheels and pay your employees. On the other side you'll have to aquire enough customers paying enough money for each trip. Sounds very simple but can be extremely complicated in reality...

Thanks

No prob. Keep us updated on your progress! It's been a long time since i visited spain and this could be a nice reason. (Especially if you are in a famous red wine area, as already mentioned above ?)

Edit: ps: don't trust anyone telling you a price he'd be willing to pay for something as long as the money is not in your cashier. Especially if you ask in a euc forum for an euc business. Inyour small tourist town you have to make them want (and be able) to drive your wheels. Its your future!

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I really appreciate it. Cuenca is not a wine growing province but has an excellent range of wine, locally brewed beer and a liquor called Risoli on offer at a good price. Conan The Barbarian and a Bond film was filmed here, and a manga cartoon series is based on the town. There's lots of natural beauty to explore. It's perfect for a 3-day quiet getaway.

The "bread and butter" customers would be regular local people, any tourist would be a bonus, though it would be great if EUC enthusiasts specifically made Cuenca their holday destination. Those trying it out for the first time will attempt in full knowledge that it's hard and they may need 4 - 8 hours to pick it up.

I'll keep you updated:)

Archived