New Solowheel Scorpion

Rehab1

On 4/13/2018 at 2:13 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Bumping an old thread, but I found some nice close-ups of the Scorpion if anyone's interested from a design perspective.  The neat thing is that the Y shaped stinger tail acts as an integrated kickstand.

https://store.urban360.com/produit/solowheel-scorpion-edition-limitee/

solowheel-scorpion-15.jpeg

solowheel-scorpion-01.jpeg

It looks pretty good, wonder if that is a cell phone holder on top of the shell?  

I always liked the handle design also, very similar to the Inmotion handle.

They were selling it extremely cheap, warranty expired on a brand new wheel, no spares.  Might be a good deal if someone had a wrecked scorpion with good batteries, I wonder if the batteries in this one have discharged from being unsold for so long?

5 minutes ago, steve454 said:

It looks pretty good, wonder if that is a cell phone holder on top of the shell?  ...

It's a carry handle recess so you can grab it ;) But yeah, a smaller phone could fit well in there.

Dated design, slippery pedals, 160Wh battery (probably dead by now)... the only good thing is the handle/trolley

1 hour ago, Vik's said:

It's a carry handle recess so you can grab it ;) But yeah, a smaller phone could fit well in there.

Dated design, slippery pedals, 160Wh battery (probably dead by now)... the only good thing is the handle/trolley

I agree, those pedals look crappy.  That's the worst part of the Solowheel.  

On 4/13/2018 at 9:13 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Bumping an old thread, but I found some nice close-ups of the Scorpion if anyone's interested from a design perspective.  The neat thing is that the Y shaped stinger tail acts as an integrated kickstand.

Yes, the trolley is not only a kickstand but also the carry handle.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 4/19/2017 at 1:01 PM, Jeffrey Scott Will said:

Just chiming in about the Scorpion since I've now spend a decent amount of time (2 weeks) riding one all around Seattle as my daily driver. 

While the design is not my favorite visually, ergonomically, it's very good. Like the Xtreme, it has nice large pedals that have a slight angle to let your feet sink into comfortably. The body has a more outward curve so it allows more play and maneuverability with less leg lock-in while at the same time spreading out the pressure against your legs and you feel absolutely no pressure points while riding. The only other wheel I've ridden that feels better when ridden is the Xtreme. 

Performance - well, if you haven't ridden a Solowheel, especially a newer one, then you're not really going to fully understand how fundamentally different they ride compared to anything else. This is not a slam to the competition, as many of these issues are trade-offs. To write it off as "soft" is to miss the added dimension this style of ride offers. It's nothing like the soft mode manufacturers like KS, GW, NB offer in app. Think of it like a tight spring that reacts extremely quickly. You can flick your ankles and feel it. In the newest version of firmware it has been tuned for maximum stability for handling bumps and hill climbing, but still offering just the right amount of tension in that "spring" to lean with you when you want it to - like braking. It's intelligent enough to adjust on the fly as your speed changes and the whole experience is very fluid and stable. The overall effect of this style of firmware is that the rider becomes very casual and relaxed with their riding stance and style. It feels like the wheel is a part of you as opposed to trying to stay balanced on top of a tiny little flat platform. This is a huge deal to me, personally. With the amount of times I spend mounting, dismounting, dodging, power breaking, this is where Solowheel shines. All these high speed performance EUCs feel like you are driving in 5th gear all the time in comparison. Also notable, it's now faster with no more artificial early speed tilt back. I clocked 13mph, but I'm unsure where the limit actually is because I don't really like to push limits like that. Slower than the speed demon EUCs, yes, but for a versatile city commuter, it doesn't feel held back. Hill climbing is good, and my commute makes for a proper test. No issues there.

Range - well, this one is obvious. This version is not for long range commuters! But for those who don't need range, it is nice to have a light weight wheel that doesn't feel bulky. And for air travelers, you can easily check this as baggage without a hassle - this is a legitimate reason for having a smaller battery pack, but I do look forward to more options for those who don't need to fly with their wheel.

Features - the headlight is a welcomed addition. Its sufficiently bright for lighting up the path in front of you. The handle is also quite nice. It has a slightly awkward lock/unlock system with two different releases, but it works well enough. And the kickstand is icing on the cake.

The things I would like to see changed: the magnetic charge port. It's the same one used on the Xtreme. While neat, it's not necessary like on a laptop, and it only adds potential points of failure if you don't have it securely seated or the tiny pins get corroded. The design looks a tad toylike. Not up to the high bar set by the Xtreme. The tire is 16 x 1.95, so a tad thinner than most 16" EUC tires including the Solowheel original. Its actually quite fine after extensive testing, but I'd rather have something beefier like 16 x 2.125.

In conclusion, I will say that overall it's a really good, versatile option for someone living and working in the city. In practice, the experience of riding this thing around is very good - a total joy. There is no aspect of the wheel that you are trying to "fight" the whole time. It's just a really satisfying ride. 

FULL DISCLOSURE:

I sell this thing! but I have no problem pointing out its flaws among the positives. I've owned and ridden a ton of other wheels, so I do have a good frame of reference (check my profile). I got involved professionally after riding and buying an Xtreme. :)

I got the solowheel scorpion a month ago. Works fine for what I need it for. My commute to my job is only a mile in Arizona. The problem I am having is trying to download the mobile app. I tried to search for it and still not able to find it. Any idea where I can download the mobile app for this solowheel scorpion???

On 11/20/2021 at 7:04 PM, Serrada said:

I got the solowheel scorpion a month ago.

...What? How? Why? From where? For how much?

I've seen a few listings for them online at many a shady internet shop, but I never thought any of them would ever actually ship one... Aren't you worried about the old batteries and their degradation? What made you pick a wheel this old?

No hostility or offence is intended, I'm just blown away, frankly.

• Like 1