getting tired of people stopping me and asking me what I'm riding

Bob Eisenman

A group of teenagers stoped me yesterday asking what is this and if it was dificult to learn  . I replied it is an unicycle and that is dificult to learn .They asked me how much it cost and how long to learn to ride , i said £1000 and it took me 1 month of practice to learn . I also said that is an eletronicaly balanced device and if it has any failures you fall hard , head first  . 

Have i said any lies?

In my selfish opinion the moment more people start using eucs the sooner will came the ban an a police crack down . At least in UK.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Any nice looking, skantily clad female with large breasts showing interest in my wheel I'm more than happy to give them a demo / personal lesson in EUC riding.  :whistling:  I'm just friendly that way.  :innocent1:

Better yet... go riding with her! (I know ... she has appeared before but how can you not like this pose!)2glRVpn.jpg

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

You should have said "Yes it's crazy awesome!"  :w00t2:

I must have been mesmerized by her  dark tan

or

the visual mechanics of riding an EUC(scanning for ruts, parked cars and oncoming vehicles) consumed all my available brain power during those moments while she repeated the her comment as I rode in a tight circle. Breaking ones focus(her comment) by performing was my objective but it apparently had no effect so I rode on. I like drinking coffee at that Starbucks. A recent return to the same place found no trace of the woman as 'DarkTan' remained open for business next door.

Possible definition of 'faceplant' for a newbie or an observer:

Is when the entire weight of a rider ,which causes foot pain and leg fatigue during a ride, becomes quickly transferred to the wrist(s), shoulder(s), hand(s), chest and/or face instead of the feet during an unexpected fall from the EUC.

Most people don't notice me on my EUC as they are on their smartphones while walking. I think that's virtually 100% with the under 30 crowd.

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Better yet... go riding with her!

The physical resemblance is there but alas she was not a rider herself. Across the street is a Jewish funeral home with a large parking lot. I get guilt feelings (not to mention seeing an occasional parked police cruiser on the lot) about using it to shorten and widen my ride so I use the narrow sidewalk there while avoiding pedal impacts on my side from over growing  shrubs (owned by the funeral home) and vertical traffic sign posts and the occasional bus rider waiting at that stop. However , from time to time I cut through the private lot to make life easier.?

1 hour ago, Bob Eisenman said:

The physical resemblance is there but alas she was not a rider herself. Across the street is a Jewish funeral home with a large parking lot. I get guilt feelings (not to mention seeing an occasional parked police cruiser on the lot) about using it to shorten and widen my ride

Which path would you use to ride your EUC on

The yellow (empty Jewish funeral home parking lot) or

The red (sidewalk)?

After turning the corner , out of view, they end up at the same point.

2017-07-10_08.42.31.jpg

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Most people don't notice me on my EUC as they are on their smartphones while walking. I think that's virtually 100% with the under 30 crowd.

That's something I've noticed on many of the EUC riding videos.  What's surprising to me is how few people are surprised ... many likely because their faces are buried in their smartphones and they probably didn't even see the rider.

11 hours ago, Luiz said:

In my selfish opinion the moment more people start using eucs the sooner will came the ban an a police crack down . At least in UK.

I think you are bang on the money there. I was riding along a pavement near where i live at the weekend and three cop cars in a row went past, two ignored me and one smiled and waved. As soon as they become something frequently seen the wagging fingers will start. I be honest i think its the price which keeps them at the frequency they are so I'm quite happy that they are such big bucks.

There is a public pool fairly near my house and whilst riding the other week i was going one way whilst a stream of kids going to the kids swim session were walking the other way, each with a parent. I hear at least 4 "cool, dad...when can i have one of them" or similar comments. I can just imagine dads googling later that evening and cursing me when they see the cost. 

On 12/3/2016 at 4:38 PM, tadrossi said:

He is in the USA.  People here are for the most part not very considerate or bright

Don't take all the credit, here I've had a few guys in a car honking me, so i naturally flipped em off, they proceeded to catch up with me and one of em said :  "you really shouldn'be in the bicycle lane" to which i replied "you dont have all the information to say this..." 

they drove off, but i've also had party people and various drunk people listen and seem genuinely interested, sometimes they wanna try but i just politely decline.

also cyclers that have funny jokes like the other day i passed one at about 28kmh and he said "wow ! could you drag me along please :3 ?" and i said "well maybe next time buddy ^^" (there was no next time :D )

On 12/6/2016 at 4:54 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Oh good, are we doing riding stories now ? I got one !

The cutest I've had so far : 

riding around a kindergarten at low speed (obviously) when a 3 yr old and his mom pass by me, the boy turned around and said "this is what i want to ride someday" the mom saying "oh, but you gotta be big and strong", i stopped briefly just to say " in a few years little guy ;) "

16 hours ago, nute said:

hree cop cars in a row went past, two ignored me and one smiled and waved.

yeah I was shocked by this, i once followed a bike path which had a cop car going exactly my speed and they didn't even bat an eye. 

and our police is famous for being REALLY FRUSTRATING. So yeah they've never seen irresponsible behaviour in France so they dont "crack down" on it either ^^

For the first time in months I rode along a rail trail to the next town. On the way back a girl on a bicycle came up from behind and started a conversation. She said  'I've been seeing you for years (actually 13 months) all over the place'. I've wanted to ask you what it is called. 'Why it's a self balancing electric unicycle, I said' Do you go far on it? I told her my total distance (omitting the broken arm part and saying 3500 miles). 'That's crazy....' she said as she pulled away merrily peddling faster than I cared to travel. Farther down the trail I passed a familiar face I'll call 'Older Long hair' (since I don't know her name) who was out for her daily dose of trail walking. She smiled (as usual) as I passed by.

On 7/10/2017 at 2:08 PM, nute said:

There is a public pool fairly near my house and whilst riding the other week i was going one way whilst a stream of kids going to the kids swim session were walking the other way, each with a parent. I hear at least 4 "cool, dad...when can i have one of them" or similar comments. I can just imagine dads googling later that evening and cursing me when they see the cost. 

Haha!

7 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

For the first time in months I rode along a rail trail to the next town. On the way back a girl on a bicycle came up from behind and started a conversation. She said  'I've been seeing you for years (actually 13 months) all over the place'. I've wanted to ask you what it is called. 'Why it's a self balancing electric unicycle, I said' Do you go far on it? I told her my total distance (omitting the broken arm part and saying 3500 miles). 'That's crazy....' she said as she pulled away merrily peddling faster than I cared to travel. Farther down the trail I passed a familiar face I'll call 'Older Long hair' (since I don't know her name) who was out for her daily dose of trail walking. She smiled (as usual) as I passed by.

Sounds like you were a good representative of the community there.  Thumbs up!

On 7/10/2017 at 8:57 AM, Bob Eisenman said:

Which path would you use to ride your EUC on

The yellow (empty Jewish funeral home parking lot) or

The red (sidewalk)?

After turning the corner , out of view, they end up at the same point.

2017-07-10_08.42.31.jpg

I always choose the path that keeps me away from cars and people.  If the parking lot was empty I'd def be going the parking lot route, although this can backfire depending on whats in the parking lot and can direct you into many more people that you were trying to avoid.

today, i went out at night to get something quick from the deli.  coming back, a girl stuck her head out the sun roof telling me to "hover it".  when i rode my EUC, the usual "that is so cool".  then when i went past a light behind her, another car full of young boys yelling, "oh shit, that is so cool".

For the most part, when people see me rolling by, they tend to think that I'am a time traveler from the future...my reply is always..."If I was a time traveler, I'd be riding a dinosaur opposed to this silly machine."

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind people asking me about my EUC, unless I'm in a hurry and they're trying to stop me :-) I wonder why people don't use Google more. 

But I'm always happy to help and talk about it, as long as the other person is not drunk :lol:

What's interesting, the first question from most people is how much does it cost, which I like to skip, as people don't know how many models are on the market.

From my observations:

- The highest frequency of stopping me occurs when I'm riding the V8 or IPS Zero,
- High frequency occurs when I'm riding KS14 or KS16. Right now a black KS-14D is my favourite and a lot of people are stopping me,
- Low frequency or almost none occurs when I'm riding a Gotway ACM :-D

Anyway, this is a great chance to meet new people! Maybe it would be worth to stop sometime and start talking? One thing is certain: you don't get that much attention when riding a bike :-)

What most important, people reactions are great, no matter the age. Sometimes I have so funny conversations, I'm smiling the whole day :-)

28 minutes ago, Justina said:

I don't mind people asking me about my EUC, unless I'm in a hurry and they're trying to stop me :-) I wonder why people don't use Google more. 

But I'm always happy to help and talk about it, as long as the other person is not drunk :lol:

What's interesting, the first question from most people is how much does it cost, which I like to skip, as people don't know how many models are on the market.

From my observations:

- The highest frequency of stopping me occurs when I'm riding the V8 or IPS Zero,
- High frequency occurs when I'm riding KS14 or KS16. Right now a black KS-14D is my favourite and a lot of people are stopping me,

- Low frequency or almost none occurs when I'm riding a Gotway ACM :-D

Anyway, this is a great chance to meet new people! Maybe it would be worth to stop sometime and start talking? One thing is certain: you don't get that much attention when riding a bike :-)

What most important, people reactions are great, no matter the age. Sometimes I have so funny conversations, I'm smiling the whole day :-)

That's because you're passing them by too fast ;)

That was a good one :P But no, I'm not ;)

I like to ride fast, but as the ACM is comfortable and agile, the adrenaline is too high. Have you seen what's under the hood? I have :D 

People are still looking at me when I'm riding on the ACM, but I get a lot more attention on better looking wheels.

2 minutes ago, Justina said:

That was a good one :P But no, I'm not ;)

I like to ride fast, but as the ACM is comfortable and agile, the adrenaline is too high. Have you seen what's under the hood? I have :D 

People are still looking at me when I'm riding on the ACM, but I get a lot more attention on better looking wheels.

The ACM is my favorite wheel. Unfortunately I had to recently rebuild mine with a new motor, etc,  so I know what you mean by "under the hood" :cry2:

I'm the local Gotway addict here, but I also really enjoy my 14C :thumbup:

Archived