Jump to content
Bram

Msuper3, wheel for a starter?

Recommended Posts

thanks, i ended up doing it completely different, ill post pics if i can find any on my phone. I just riveted 1/8 aluminum plates down to the top of the pedals with grip tape on them. much better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Bryan Wells said:

Well in a nutshell you will have to take my word for it when i say its a good thing for a wheel to handle like a ninebot. The ACM is like a ninebot... but on roids, it has more power more speed and more battery. But the key for me after all the miles I have been on these things is the feel of the pedals. (Does it feel "accurate") you see, a bunch of the wheels feel like there really is a computer trying to save you all the time, or that there is a springy feel or lag in the "quickness" that it tries to catch up and get underneath you. But a ninebot or acm is like standing on concrete. Its SOLID and NIMBLE! and just riding it inspires a LOT of confidence. Probably the worst feel I have been on so far is the Solowheels. Not ktrying to knock them but they feel like they will throw you on your face at a blink of an eye.

Not a fan of Solowheels or Ninebots (although I must admit, I've never tried any model of either ;)), but the "soft"/springy feel (like my noname-14" or Firewheel in "comfort"-mode) is not just missing power or computing capacity... from what I can tell, it's "just" programmed to have a softer / more delayed response (although in the case of the 14" noname, it also might be less power :P). Some riders seem to like it, personally I like the "stiff" / "standing on concrete" -feel, although what I'd prefer most is stiff when riding at more or less steady speeds or accelerating, and somewhat "softer" during hard braking (so it allows the pedals to tilt back somewhat when you brake really hard, like power-braking).

Edited by esaj
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, esaj said:

I like the "stiff" / "standing on concrete" -feel, although what I'd prefer most is stiff when riding at more or less steady speeds or accelerating, and somewhat "softer" during hard braking (so it allows the pedals to tilt back somewhat when you brake really hard, like power-braking).

The ninebot kind of does that, maybe it feels softer when braking because it is easier to lean back more strongly than forward.  It seems easier to overpower the wheel when stopping quickly and trying to go backwards.  I have never overpowered the wheel accelerating forwards, but a few times when braking quickly from about 5 mph and trying to snap it back to reverse, it seemed to rotate backwards enough to cut off, but it was at almost zero speed so am not sure what happened.

This was in pedal sensitivity level 3,  haven't tried backwards riding in level 0 which is like standing on concrete, 3 has a little more give.  But it does feel like there is more tilt backwards when stopping quickly.

Edited by steve454
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, steve454 said:

The ninebot kind of does that, maybe it feels softer when braking because it is easier to lean back more strongly than forward.  It seems easier to overpower the wheel when stopping quickly and trying to go backwards.  I have never overpowered the wheel accelerating forwards, but a few times when braking quickly from about 5 mph and trying to snap it back to reverse, it seemed to rotate backwards enough to cut off, but it was at almost zero speed so am not sure what happened.

This was in pedal sensitivity level 3,  haven't tried backwards riding in level 0 which is like standing on concrete, 3 has a little more give.

Can't really relate, as, like I said, I've never had the chance to try a Ninebot (ordered an E in the spring of 2015, the importer had lots of delays, and I ended up buying EUC Extremes old Firewheel and cancelling the order). But yeah, that might be what I'm going for. Although, Ninebots have burned their mosfets during hard braking (but by people heavier than me). If I could get a E+ -unit at something like the $399 -sale price that was offered by some reseller a long time ago, I'd get one just to see how it feels, but unfortunately, getting one from a local reseller or from abroad (including shipping and possible taxes), it's always about a 1000€ -deal or more, so not "worth it" in my opinion...

Edited by esaj
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's kind of an old design anyway, newer better wheels are passing them by.  That's why I might get a Gotway or Kingsong next, if the ninebot breaks.

Edited by steve454
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, steve454 said:

It's kind of an old design anyway, newer better wheels are passing them by.

Currently I'm waiting for a quote on KS16S, but depending on how much it is, might go with KS16B/C... Either way, I'll get one or the other soonish. 840Wh on both, but S has far better mosfets and more motor power. Might not actually be that big of a deal with my weight anyway, so the older model should suffice just as well. ;)   Was thinking of the Gotway models too (16" ACM for example), but with all the more or less severe problems so far, and living in a remote country with no local reseller or spare parts, I think I'll stick to KS for now :P 

Edited by esaj
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

trust me Esaj, you need to try a ninebot, nothing has had that kind of stiff feel, not even close. yeah its weaker is every other aspect. but the controller feels like a million bucks, i have ridden a ks-16 back to back with the ninebot and it is clear that the ninebot "tracks" input a LOTTTT better, but the max performance is not on the same level

Edited by Bryan Wells
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

13 hours ago, kour said:

just arrived today - charging up. i already scuffed it riding around on the back patio. steering these things is different from what i expected would be required. it's awesome though! big thanks to @Jason McNeil

also, initial pressure in tire was about 20 psi - filled it to about 40. for anyone who's interested i was able to fill tire using the husky 120v without using any adaptor... i just had to pull the nozzle on the tire down a bit and hold it all in place while the inflator was running... only took a few secs.

IMG_20170501_151138.jpg.975d20337e2460298813e3b46e2ac817.jpg

IMG_20170501_153150.jpg

Congrats! :) It's a great wheel to start on.
There is quite a good choice now whereas when I started riding the versions of MSuper that were out were fairly new and I wasn't sure about safety etc and the Kingsongs weren't so easy to get hold of in the UK so opted for a Ninebot One E+, from Speedyfeet in the UK, which very quickly became not enough power, speed, distance etc
My first upgrade was to an ACM 820wh (MSuper V3 wasn't out) but I hit the distance cap on that too so now have the Monster 2400wh for out and about and the ACM for work. :D 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i can see now why some people say it's better to start out on a smaller wheel - this thing is pretty heavy! i can only imagine what trying to learn on a monster would be like ;) constantly getting/stepping off and on and grabbing the handle to keep it from falling, while trying to find my balance made me work up quite a sweat! as wobbly as i am, though, i've already noticed i can mount it more easily without holding onto something...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kour said:

i can see now why some people say it's better to start out on a smaller wheel - this thing is pretty heavy! i can only imagine what trying to learn on a monster would be like ;) constantly getting/stepping off and on and grabbing the handle to keep it from falling, while trying to find my balance made me work up quite a sweat! as wobbly as i am, though, i've already noticed i can mount it more easily without holding onto something...

Even though I've been riding almost 2 years the Monster was almost like learning again as it's so big I can't lean it the same way I do my ACM to glide around corners and I initially struggled with right turns again! lol. Also it needs more of a committed lean to make it move. If traveling slow, as you would when learning, the height of the Monster is useful as you don't have to lean so far to grab the handle.
Congrats on learning quickly and being optimistic! What size battery have you gone for? I got 25 miles max out of my 820wh ACM. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, kour said:

i can see now why some people say it's better to start out on a smaller wheel - this thing is pretty heavy! i can only imagine what trying to learn on a monster would be like ;) constantly getting/stepping off and on and grabbing the handle to keep it from falling, while trying to find my balance made me work up quite a sweat! as wobbly as i am, though, i've already noticed i can mount it more easily without holding onto something...

I'm the other way around - I tought my wife to ride last week, we have several MSupers and a Ninebot. 
The MSuper has a lower center of gravity and a smoother power delivery - we found it much easier to learn on. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TremF said:

Even though I've been riding almost 2 years the Monster was almost like learning again as it's so big I can't lean it the same way I do my ACM to glide around corners and I initially struggled with right turns again! lol. Also it needs more of a committed lean to make it move. If traveling slow, as you would when learning, the height of the Monster is useful as you don't have to lean so far to grab the handle.
Congrats on learning quickly and being optimistic! What size battery have you gone for? I got 25 miles max out of my 820wh ACM. 

hey, thanks - yeah, i'm going to try a different area - back patio is too small to really give myself a chance to ride out swerves/wobbles. it's the 820wh, with rubberized shell.. like the acm no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kour said:

hey, thanks - yeah, i'm going to try a different area - back patio is too small to really give myself a chance to ride out swerves/wobbles. it's the 820wh, with rubberized shell.. like the acm no?

It's easier to learn on some flat grass, that way you don't have to worry about dropping the wheel, 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2017 at 0:21 PM, kour said:

just arrived today - charging up. i already scuffed it riding around on the back patio. steering these things is different from what i expected would be required. it's awesome though! big thanks to @Jason McNeil

also, initial pressure in tire was about 20 psi - filled it to about 40. for anyone who's interested i was able to fill tire using the husky 120v without using any adaptor... i just had to pull the nozzle on the tire down a bit and hold it all in place while the inflator was running... only took a few secs.

IMG_20170501_151138.jpg.975d20337e2460298813e3b46e2ac817.jpg

IMG_20170501_153150.jpg

you bought the best !

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kour said:

hey, thanks - yeah, i'm going to try a different area - back patio is too small to really give myself a chance to ride out swerves/wobbles. it's the 820wh, with rubberized shell.. like the acm no?

When I was learning on my Ninebot I went to a nearby industrial estate and used a section of closed off road. Out of site of others as I was nervous about riding in public initially. Once I got the hang of riding there I moved to a gravel track then on longer rides with varying terrain including cobbles and a dirt track. 

The MSuper V3 with it's slightly bigger and more exposed wheel is better than the ACM IMO. I'd have gone for it had it come out when I was looking to upgrade but with the Monster being out now I've bypassed it. With your MSuper having the same motor and battery size as the ACM you should get around 25 miles off a charge depending on your weight, ride temperature, speed and terrain. You'll love it! :) 

For wetter weather you may want to try and find a mud guard for the back - or make one yourself. 

Edited by TremF
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

When you guys mount the MSuper can you just step on it and go?

I find myself having to push 2-4 times before I gain sufficient speed to bring the other leg onto the pedal. In contrast my V5 I push or step on once.  Uhhh...not happening with the MSuper. Especially not at uphill intersections from a stop.

Edited by LanghamP
Bad grammar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

When you guys mount the MSuper can you just step on it and go?

I find myself having to push 2-4 times before I gain sufficient speed to bring the other leg onto the pedal. In contrast my V5 I push or step on once.  Uhhh...not happening with the MSuper. Especially not at uphill intersections from a stop.

What do you have the ride setting as? It could be Leisure which isn't is a bit soft and not as responsive as you'd like? Maybe try Comfort or Sport (or whatever they call medium and hard settings). The MSuper V3 has the same motor as my ACM which has no problem with hills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

When you guys mount the MSuper can you just step on it and go?

I find myself having to push 2-4 times before I gain sufficient speed to bring the other leg onto the pedal. In contrast my V5 I push or step on once.  Uhhh...not happening with the MSuper. Especially not at uphill intersections from a stop.

Yes I have mine set to sport, with the feet that is on the pedal lean forward and step on with the other. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TremF said:

When I was learning on my Ninebot I went to a nearby industrial estate and used a section of closed off road. Out of site of others as I was nervous about riding in public initially. Once I got the hang of riding there I moved to a gravel track then on longer rides with varying terrain including cobbles and a dirt track. 

The MSuper V3 with it's slightly bigger and more exposed wheel is better than the ACM IMO. I'd have gone for it had it come out when I was looking to upgrade but with the Monster being out now I've bypassed it. With your MSuper having the same motor and battery size as the ACM you should get around 25 miles off a charge depending on your weight, ride temperature, speed and terrain. You'll love it! :) 

For wetter weather you may want to try and find a mud guard for the back - or make one yourself. 

last night after work i trolleyed my wheel up to a cul de sac in my neighborhood - it's all hills where i live... not good! but that area is relatively flat in comparison. was able to cruise a few times ranging from around 20 feet to 60 feet. it seems it's key to have a lot of space so one doesn't have to worry about stopping all of a sudden. also lost control of my wheel a few times and it bucked around on the pavement.. it was painful to see! it really is a powerful machine and it got pretty scuffed. i will say the casing seems really tough, however - the abrasions are mostly on the surface. one plus is that there was less bashing of my ankles by the pedals. i think the ideal surface to practice on would be a large expanse of very thin carpet, like you'd see in some indoor gyms and public facilities

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LanghamP said:

When you guys mount the MSuper can you just step on it and go?

I find myself having to push 2-4 times before I gain sufficient speed to bring the other leg onto the pedal. In contrast my V5 I push or step on once.  Uhhh...not happening with the MSuper. Especially not at uphill intersections from a stop.

You might be too concervative on how you are engaging your feet and tipping the pedals.  Lock your anckles when mounting to you have leverage to tip the wheel in the direction you want to ride.  You might be trying to be too gentle and trying to keep a neutral level on the pedals. If the pedals are flat the wheel will not move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kour said:

last night after work i trolleyed my wheel up to a cul de sac in my neighborhood - it's all hills where i live... not good! but that area is relatively flat in comparison. was able to cruise a few times ranging from around 20 feet to 60 feet. it seems it's key to have a lot of space so one doesn't have to worry about stopping all of a sudden. also lost control of my wheel a few times and it bucked around on the pavement.. it was painful to see! it really is a powerful machine and it got pretty scuffed. i will say the casing seems really tough, however - the abrasions are mostly on the surface. one plus is that there was less bashing of my ankles by the pedals. i think the ideal surface to practice on would be a large expanse of very thin carpet, like you'd see in some indoor gyms and public facilities

The only way to solve that is with a strap. I have a surfing bunggy instead Only needed to rescue the wheel and prevent tumbling.  You need to be aware of this. While mastering the riding techniques, you need to have the strap. Once you learn you will realize that if you start to have a questionable situation you need to stop an dismount and not fight until the last minute. If you dont do that your wheel will keep tumbling. Stopping and dismounting is the most important skill. And you need use that all the time instead of trying to find a way to make a last minute evasive action or correction.

  Stopping and dismounting should be part of your normal riding. Dont try to be clever and you willhave more fun.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Stopping and dismounting should be part of your normal riding. Dont try to be clever and you willhave more fun.

duly noted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Especially not at uphill intersections from a stop.

before i made my way up to a sort of flat area, i tried a few times to go up the hill that is my street. the thing is, i haven't been able to adjust anything via the gw app because my (old) smartphone (galaxy nexus one, lol) doesn't have bluetooth 4.0! a cheap 7" android tablet is on the way, though.

i did push and tilt my feet forward and heard the motor make an effort. i'm 6'4" and weigh just about 175 (lbs). perhaps, as @TremF and @Goodman say it's a matter of the setting. it could also be because i've only ridden for a total of about a couple of hours and my pedal manipulation skills are wanting

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×