KS-14C in overcharged state due to Gotway charger?

John Eucist

I sold one of my KS-14C a couple weeks back and they said every time they charge it and go for a ride it starts off in the overcharged state where it tilts back and beeps.  They said the app says it's 67.9 V when that happens.  Then they "force ride it" and it un-tilts but have to ride for a while before stopping because if they stop too soon it reverts to the overcharged state with the beep and tilt-back.  The funny thing is I didn't have a problem with it before.  The only thing I can think of is that I gave them a Gotway charger instead of the one that came with a KS because I assumed it's exactly the same thing.  Could this possibly be the case?  If not then what can be the cause?

4 hours ago, John Eucist said:

every time they charge it and go for a ride it starts off in the overcharged state

Is it possible they leave the charger connected too long? I'm not sure if all wheels are this way, but IPS advises against charging longer than 2 hours (in my case, 340 wh battery), so I use a timer to cut off the power.

OutletTimer.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FSQTSB8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 hours ago, NevNutz said:

The only thing i can think of is they live on a hill. If you have it full charged then while going down that hill on a fully charged EUC, you will get an over charge warning. Both GotWay and Kingsong chargers can be interchangeable. Both are 67volt chargers @John Eucist

They were on flats.  We're well aware of regenerative braking when battery is "full".  Yeah I've always thought GW and KS chargers were interchangeable in use.

1 hour ago, MaxLinux said:

Is it possible they leave the charger connected too long? I'm not sure if all wheels are this way, but IPS advises against charging longer than 2 hours (in my case, 340 wh battery), so I use a timer to cut off the power.

OutletTimer.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FSQTSB8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The charger is supposed to auto stop charging (LED from red to green) when it hits a certain voltage (I assume in this case I assume 67.2v).  But they say it's been showing around 67.9v on their KS app.

9 minutes ago, Shoe73 said:

I have one for Gotway, but I can't use it for IPS (or ninebot) because they all have different plugs!

Yeah they don't work across the board.  GW and KS supposed to be the same though.

Perhaps this special charger is off?

can happen.....as you can fine adjust a lot of chargers, and if this ome is just off, means going over 67,2, it is possible.

mz experience from the KS app, especially on the Ks14, is that the app shows NEVER more than 67 volt, even mostly a max of 66,6 or so....So if their app shows 67,9....the charger is off or defect...

Yes, it could very well be a charger issue too. I've had one bad charger in the past to a customer I sold a GotWay ACM to, it was under charging. I've heard that if you leave the charger plugged in after the light changes to green it still charges, most likely mA. But even mA can add up over a long time. This may be another reason why it's over charging pass the 67.2 volts. Also a reason why IPS says not to leave the charger plugged in after the light turns green for more then two hours. 

The wheel is overcharged because its at 67.9, which is too much. The charger ( kingsong or gotway) shouldnt charge it to this voltage, so the charger has to be the problem. I dont think its because they leave it on after the light turns green.

ask them to check the app voltage as soon as the charger turns green , this way you will know what is happening. Make sure they disconnect the charger before checking the voltage.

also, have them check the voltage of the charger under no load with a voltmeter.

My ks14c also exhibited strange tilting after a full charge.  Someone suggested then, that it might be over charged. I usually try to unplug it when light is still red but bars on wheel show full ( anywhere between 80% and 100%). But since @Cloud said unplug charger before checking. I'll adjust my system, and use app to read voltage.. A charge doctor is in the cards for me but I'm renting an apartment in Spain with a tiny mail box and neighbors of all nationalities coming and going so getting a delivery is fraught with perils, or I'd have one by now. It's s a no brainier, and cheap too.

Archived