This is Where I am Photo Thread Like Almost Right Now Sorta

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Today, even one wheel is to many...

Well for the next half hour anyway. 

20170108_120606.jpg

Bell 206 Jet Ranger! Nice! Are you taking a tour ride? Share some photos when you land!

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Bell 206 Jet Ranger! Nice! Are you taking a tour ride? Share some photos when you land!

Yes, just a short loop around Wellington harbour - which included flying over the airport (which they aren't often allowed to do). Will add photos later today...

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Yes, just a short loop around Wellington harbour - which included flying over the airport (which they aren't often allowed to do). Will add photos later today...

Awesome! I am jealous! It has been 8 years since I have flown a chopper!  Interesting....if a pilot in the US has clearance from air traffic control flying over an airport is traditionally a non issue unless the president is nearby.

15 ...possibly 20 years ago I was contacted by the mayor and asked if I would fly him to a conference 200 miles south. I guess he wanted a ostentatious entrance being other mayors were being flown in by corporate jets and helicopters. When I heard the president was attending the conference I backed out immediately as I was not about to be grounded for hours waiting for his jet to depart.

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Awesome! I am jealous! It has been 8 years since I have flown a chopper!  Interesting....if a pilot in the US has clearance from air traffic control flying over an airport is traditionally a non issue unless the president is nearby.

Yes. The airspace over an airport is like an upside down wedding cake.  Once above the top/ bottom of that cake, it's pretty much free air, after all, what harm can you do 3,000 feet above an airport? it's the approach and leave flight paths they care about, as I remember, but I haven't flown in a while now, so what do I know.

• 5 months later...
On 1/7/2017 at 6:47 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I missed the photos, are they in the photo thread?

5 hours ago, steve454 said:

I missed the photos, are they in the photo thread?

Those photos never quite made it... That was about the time I disappeared down the  black rabbithole of work. 

I will dig them out, and find somewhere to host them...

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I'm on vacation in the Rocky Mountains suffering with slow hotel WiFi :rolleyes:.  Using my cell data instead.

Beautiful vacation spot! Enjoy! 

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Takakkawa Falls - you can see a person in a green jacket down at the bottom.

Beautiful photos!! Here you are in the green jacket! Is that Mrs. Hunka?

Moraine Lake - guy down there wouldn't move.  :furious:  Nothing that a good sized rock lobbed at the proper angle didn't solve.  :whistling:  He's not supposed to be over the rock wall in first place so fair game I say.  :innocent1:  There's dangers that people have to accept when they step outside the boundaries. :efef927839:

583236_img2776.jpg

Some kinda lake, too tired after hiking to remember the name :efeeda4ad8:... so I'll make it up - Three Toed Axolotyl Leg Lake.  Yep that's the name.  :innocent1:

343521_img2790.jpg

Again with the tourists over the fence :rolleyes: ... needed to find a lot more rocks... :w00t2:

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Tell me that you jumped this, without putting a foot down!

The new Gotway Kangaroo Super XT 2200 could easily jump it!

5 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Moraine Lake - guy down there wouldn't move.  :furious:  Nothing that a good sized rock lobbed at the proper angle didn't solve.  :whistling:  He's not supposed to be over the rock wall in first place so fair game I say.  :innocent1:  There's dangers that people have to accept when they step outside the boundaries. :efef927839:

583236_img2776.jpg

Some kinda lake, too tired after hiking to remember the name :efeeda4ad8:... so I'll make it up - Three Toed Axolotyl Leg Lake.  Yep that's the name.  :innocent1:

343521_img2790.jpg

Again with the tourists over the fence :rolleyes: ... needed to find a lot more rocks... :w00t2:

The photos are absolutely beautiful!!

12 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Here are some taken on my daily trips. I do love the area I live in! I'm not in any of the photos though...IMG_1587.thumb.JPG.013d872333bc2ee55d936cb4063ac1cc.JPG 

Hey that's a funny coincidence.  :huh:  I saw the exact same skinny fox walking around on the side of the highway except yours looks like he's got someone's purse in his mouth.  :lol:  Where are your photos taken at?

14 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

343521_img2790.jpg

Peyto Lake?

Look beautiful up there.

:lol: Yep that's Peyto Lake.  How did you know?  You are wearing a park ranger hat.... hmmm :efefe00999:.  I think the shape is actually supposed to be like a dog's head looking away to the right with the two ears sticking up.  The lake is fed by glacier water giving it the characteristic colour.

5 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:lol: Yep that's Peyto Lake.  How did you know?  I think the shape is actually supposed to be like a dog's head looking away to the right with the two ears sticking up.  The lake is fed by glacier water giving it the characteristic colour.

The area looks lovely so I wanted to add it to my bucket list. You were at Moraine Lake. That gave me the area you were in. Then I looked for characteristics of the lake and land in the photo and looked over satellite imagery of the area until I saw a lake of the right shape, with similar topography, skree in the right places, and a viewing spot that would be right for the angle and direction of your image.

I'm a programmer but work for the USGS and one of my first web apps involved the comparison of aerial imagery. I got good at doing stuff like this...

...or I'm stalking you. :ph34r::w00t2:

Archived