FastWheel Eva Super

Jason McNeil

We've done a decent amount of KM & testing on the Eva Super (312Wh version), about 50km, & am sorry to say that comparatively, even for a small 12" diameter, it's not a very good Wheel & doesn't live up to the claimed specifications (especially in power) of the manufacturer. Here are some of the issues:

1. From the time you press the button to power on takes ~2.5sec. Powering off is worse, in that you have to press & hold for the 2.5secs. This may not sound like much, but feels like an eternity when transitioning from stairs/up-curbs
  2. Power-on generates an annoying tone which cannot be deactivated
  3. The power meter LED panel is completely unreadable when riding 
  4. There is no sealant around the joins of the various plastic panels, rendering it completely non-water-resistant
  5. Although the ergonomics of the handle is of a nice design the seams have irregularities in the plastic which can scratch you hand
  6. The overspeed alarm is enabled at only around 15kph & riding beyond this feels unstable & dangerous, it's definitely not 22kph
  7. The tire contact point with the road is far too small, leading to instability & poor ride-quality 
  8. Tested the climbing strength on hill, did not fair well, comparable to an X3
  9. When a 90kg rider tried it on flat terrain, the Wheel stalled & was not able to support him
  10. Pedals are low & have a tendency to scrape, even on moderate turns 
  11. There is no App available for the Android
  12. Range has not yet been tested, but early indications are that it's not very good

There's a full video review on the way, but I'd thought to share these initial impressions.

Thank you Jason. All good points.

Even on the Gotway, I find super duper annoying the small delay (less than 1s) to turn ON or OFF, 2.5 seconds is the straw that breaks the camel's back (adding to lack of water proofing).

A 450W 12" wheel  should have as much torque as  14/12*450W =  525W 14" wheel or 600W 16"' wheel, ie more torque than a Gotway 14". So there is no doubt Eva has been "unsincere" in the wheel's ratings, not a good way to win hearts.

We've done a decent amount of KM & testing on the Eva Super (312Wh version), about 50km, & am sorry to say that comparatively, even for a small 12" diameter, it's not a very good Wheel & doesn't live up to the claimed specifications (especially in power) of the manufacturer. Here are some of the issues:

1. From the time you press the button to power on takes ~2.5sec. Powering off is worse, in that you have to press & hold for the 2.5secs. This may not sound like much, but feels like an eternity when transitioning from stairs/up-curbs
  2. Power-on generates an annoying tone which cannot be deactivated
  3. The power meter LED panel is completely unreadable when riding 
  4. There is no sealant around the joins of the various plastic panels, rendering it completely non-water-resistant
  5. Although the ergonomics of the handle is of a nice design the seams have irregularities in the plastic which can scratch you hand
  6. The overspeed alarm is enabled at only around 15kph & riding beyond this feels unstable & dangerous, it's definitely not 22kph
  7. The tire contact point with the road is far too small, leading to instability & poor ride-quality 
  8. Tested the climbing strength on hill, did not fair well, comparable to an X3
  9. When a 90kg rider tried it on flat terrain, the Wheel stalled & was not able to support him
  10. Pedals are low & have a tendency to scrape, even on moderate turns 
  11. There is no App available for the Android
  12. Range has not yet been tested, but early indications are that it's not very good

There's a full video review on the way, but I'd thought to share these initial impressions.

Dear J

Thx you for the great review, i will have to agree with all pointers that you have mentioned.

i hope that wheel will be my entering level and the next EUC will be 10x better.

wish i'd knew this great forum before buying the EVA.

looking forward for your video.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jason,

I fully agree with you on all 12 points. Just like Omer said, i wished i knew about this forum earlier. Then i would have never bought The Fastwheel Eva. I also  have the 312Wh version and  today i took it for The longdistance test with a full battery. I live in the Netherlands so it's all flatt roads out here. I'm around 87kg and The Fastwheel came as far as 17km. So much for The specs of 38km.....

I'm thinking that my next EU will be The Gotway M18. 

As far as point 5: i did scratch my hand open and now i covered it with a neoprene foot strap from a windsurfboard. 

Thanks again for your review. 

• 2 months later...

Wow - I was guessing at 12" the ride wouldn't be stable as the ads say - and also on the ads of course they hired professionals to ride and demonstrate but even they were not riding straight and relaxed - I just checked the video, it's the male/female couple who ride single footed and does tricks but even they are not riding steady.

Somewhere I also remember it being claimed as the best wheel for beginners to learn - but the truth should be opposite, the smaller wheel is not one to learn on - use a 14" beater to learn on.  Smaller should be twitchier to ride and longer to learn.

Um, but still - can I get a free one?  I will make it look good, promise  :D  ...with one magic trick in the form of pads higher up to provide feedback upon the legs - beyond that require tenacious zen!  (I think I want my name to be Tenacious Zen... = )

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2015, 2:32:52, Jason McNeil said:

7. The tire contact point with the road is far too small, leading to instability & poor ride-quality 

I am not sure what you want to say. How did you measure the size of the tire contact point? Did you compare the size to other tires/wheels? How does a small contact point lead to instability?

Small tire of 12 inch versus 14 inch is a difference of 12% (maybe) and also it could depend on the type of tires, they could be much narrower tires (maybe).  But I'm sure there are a few reasons why the ride would be difficult and unstable or twitchy (I assume).  My only other assumption is that thick padding will give proper feedback against the legs which will control the twitchyness and waywardness inherent to the design.  The reason why I'm curious to ride it (but never will) is because I have the Gotway 10-inch which I like a lot - but the Gotway's 10 inch tire is pretty fat.

Could I get a free one anyway?  :lol:  I say this facetiously but will still accept when the free one arrives.  Bowing graciously.

Though Fastwheel Eva is 12 inches they first setup featured a tire that was a much smaller diameter than other 12 inches wheels such as Rockwheel GR12. Fastwheel changed this and provides a larger 12 inches tire (note that inches specs always refer to the wheel hub). This version has much better driving properties. They also increased the pedal height allowing a better manoverability. The felt motor power is definitely stronger than Airwheel X3. Regarding the max speed tilting they also did some optimizations with a slower tilt up which was quite sudden before.

Overall, it's not as bad as described above - esp. with the latest changes. I've been driving the 260 Wh for a couple of months. Some complaints above - such as the long power on/off I wouldn't consider it's an issue at all. This wheel is not setup against GW/KS alikes. EVA targets potential Airwheel customers who can get a lot more value for little extra.
There are also some positive notes: the app is well developed even having some way to connect to other drivers or reach out to their CS. It's an eye-catching design, also has front and back lighting.

However, there is little reason to buy a 12 inches wheel over a 14 inches wheel. Weight is almost the same. EVA's size is almost comparable to more compact 14 inches wheels.
The only compact size 12 inches is the IPS A130, but that's more of a children's wheel.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived