Request for assistance and pointers in troubleshooting controller board

Luddiluddludde

Greetings and salutations, fellow members :D.

I am having some problems with my ebay-purchased two-wheel balance board. It is completely dead, an I believe I have narrowed it down to it being the controller board that is having some problems. I have measured the battery, and there is power. However, when I connect the controller board (the one with all the transistors or mosfets or whatever they are) no lights are coming on. Not even the small LED on the controller board itself.

I am thinking of bying a repair-kit off ebay, like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hoverboard-Motherboard-Control-Circuit-Main-Board-Self-Balancing-Scooter-Repair-/271902302152?hash=item3f4ea3dfc8:g:Us4AAOSw1DtXEcTu, but I feel I shoudl at least give it a try to troubleshoot the existing controller board to see if it can be repaired.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I have been looking online for repair guides, but the only ones I can find are som youtube videos that are totally off the track.

Thanks for replying :). Unfortunately that post does not cover troubleshooting the controller board itself. By that, I mean the electronics of the controller board. Mine is completely dead, no lights, no nothing... The hoverboard did work for around 6 months or so, so I cannot file a DOA claim with ebay.

I see that there are a lot of repair kits on ebay, but surely it must be possible to troubleshoot the electronics and repair the controller board rather than buy a new one?

Does anyone have a schematic for use when troubleshooting?

Any other ideas? I am all ears :D.

@Luddiluddludde, With so many makes of hoverboard there is nothing like the collective expertise that there is on the much more usable electric unicycles so it is unlikely you will find what you are asking.

However since I was a small boy getting handed electronics like radios for my church jumble sales there is one rule that has always held me in good stead: "if it is completely dead it is bound to be something simple!". If a radio hissed and flat refused to find a station, I gave it up as a bad job, if it was dead, I would usually find the fault in minutes and it would sell for 5 times as much money.

First check that the power from the battery actually IS the voltage it should be. it's nominal voltage will be stated on the assumption of 3.7V per cell, it will not work if the output is less than 2.5 to, maybe, 3V per cell I.e. If it is stated as 37V it probably will not work if less than 30 V and its full charged voltage will be 42V

secondly trace that voltage through the components near where it plugs into the board on both the positive and negative sides,

thirdly check the on/off switch, this may be a locking or momentary on switch but if you can disconnect it, check that you do see a short circuit, certainly less than 5 Ohms across it when pressed.

Now examine the board for obvious burnt components or poor solder joints, etc, etc.

• 4 months later...

Apologies- i am not sure who would be able to help me with my sons hoverboard,.. could someone signpost me to someone who could advise...Would you know how to override this 'protection safety feature' of the battery? my sons balance board seems super sensitive to bumps and angles- it regularly cuts out, and then he needs to input the charge lead to restart the board.... it wont start back up on its own without putting the charge lead in. very frustrating because he cant go far with it as he ends up pulling it back to charge start it again. Sorry to ask but really want to sort this for him.  Would i need a new mother board or battery or would there be a more affordable fix you could suggest.-- from desperate mum.

Sorry, but I think the only fix for that is a better hoverboard.  Ii had that problem too, they just aren't built for anything but smooth pavement.  However, I did see a kid ride one at the park once and his only problem was the battery was low on power.  Hoverboards just don't have room for bigger batteries.  So, I don't think there is anything you can do here except let him keep recharging it,  Or get a second hoverboard, and switch it out.:(

Archived