How I Instrument My Rides - WheelLog & Pebble

Marty Backe

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I forgot to mention the available WheelLog settings when swiped from the left. One particularly nice feature associated with the Kingsong is that you can configure the Pebble watch to play a 'horn' sound (it's actually a bicycle bell) through the the Kingsong speakers, when you press the Select button on the watch. Very cool.

I'm glad I told you about the Pebble watch app.I did not know about the horn function for King Song wheels in this already very cool app.I think that merits an "extremely cool".

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jrkline said:

I'm glad I told you about the Pebble watch app.I did not know about the horn function for King Song wheels in this already very cool app.I think that merits an "extremely cool".

Yes! Thanks again for turning me on to the Pebble watch. Although it takes a few steps to setup, the horn feature is really cool. Makes you wish that the Gotway had speakers too.

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes! Thanks again for turning me on to the Pebble watch. Although it takes a few steps to setup, the horn feature is really cool. Makes you wish that the Gotway had speakers too.

Does it also play the horn, when "Voice control" in the Kingsong app is disabled ?

6 minutes ago, HermanTheGerman said:

Does it also play the horn, when "Voice control" in the Kingsong app is disabled ?

Yes. All the watch is doing is sending the horn sound to your phone which, if paired to the bluetooth module in the Kingsong wheel, will play the sound over the Kingsong speakers.

the best part is that you can start everything from the pebble watch. hold the middle button until it vibrates ... the wheellog app on the adroid-phone starts up even if it was closed. perfect if you mainly use an iphone and store your cheap android phone in your backpack. the automatic logging/reconnect works like a charm too. 

the only problem is to use a smartwatch with wristguards. you either need a long clockband which fits over the upper forearm, or you mount it on the wristguard itself (which works nicely with removed armband and velcro) ...

i'll probably get the new pebbly 2 for "normal smartwatch use" (connected to my iphone). and my old pebble (used ~50€) will stay mounted on the wristguard as dedicated speedometer/datalogger (connected with my android)

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Blunzn said:

the best part is that you can start everything from the pebble watch. hold the middle button until it vibrates ... the wheellog app on the adroid-phone starts up even if it was closed. perfect if you mainly use an iphone and store your cheap android phone in your backpack. the automatic logging/reconnect works like a charm too. 

<snip>

Man, WheelLog has all kind of hidden features. Did not know about starting it from the watch - cool.  And that's a good idea for people who use an iPhone - just buy a cheap/used Android phone that's dedicated for riding.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Man, WheelLog has all kind of hidden features. Did not know about starting it from the watch - cool.  And that's a good idea for people who use an iPhone - just buy a cheap/used Android phone that's dedicated for riding.

Strong recommendation. I had recently purchased the Blu R1 exclusive to Amazon Prime members for $59 (2GB/8GB), but it looks like it is no longer available. :(

• Upvote 1

On 24.10.2016 at 5:54 AM, Marty Backe said:

Here's a video that shows the instrumentation used during my rides. I discuss the Runtastic log & map application and the great WheelLog app (by @JumpMaster) paired with the Pebble smart watch.

Just a quick note: the numbered small circles in the runtastic map are one for every km covered, I use runtastic pro. Another hidden feature is this: click on the Google earth button and then on the return button (does not need internet connection). Then you get a nice track file in the runtastic_pro/cache directory that you can use for printing and further analysis. At least with runtastic pro you can also colorize the map according to speed or altitude.

• Upvote 2

Perhaps another tip to stay complete away from ALL kind of Phone:

Android 5.1 smartwatch with GPS, Bluetooth, wifi, bla bla bla...and that all for 50bucks...

you can use all android wheel/euc apps OR runtstastic or, or, or...

Edited by KingSong69
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, RenaissanceMan said:

Just a quick note: the numbered small circles in the runtastic map are one for every km covered, I use runtastic pro. Another hidden feature is this: click on the Google earth button and then on the return button (does not need internet connection). Then you get a nice track file in the runtastic_pro/cache directory that you can use for printing and further analysis. At least with runtastic pro you can also colorize the map according to speed or altitude.

Thanks for that info! During my one month trial period I used to get the colored traces that showed your speed along the route. Most of the Pro features are designed for bicyclists or runners so it's not worth upgrading if only used for wheel riding, imo. I'll have to try the Google Earth button.

57 minutes ago, 16bitSprite said:

Arrrghh! After watching your video I somehow ended up buying a pebble watch. The temptation was too much. I'm so weak. ?.

I'm so sorry :huh:

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Perhaps another tip to stay complete away from ALL kind of Phone:

Android 5.1 smartwatch with GPS, Bluetooth, wifi, bla bla bla...and that all for 50bucks...

you can use all android wheel/euc apps OR runtstastic or, or, or...

The android watch screens are too small to be effective for use with wheel apps.I tried this out a couple of months back when I purchased an Android watch.The screen dpi is only 300 x 300 and it cannot show the complete screen in either the Kingsong or Gotway apps so it cuts off parts of the screen.The only way I got around this was to install a dpi screen changing app from the play store and the app requires root.Once I managed to root the watch(which was a big pain in the a$$),I was able to reset the dpi to a lower setting and get the whole app screen to fit on the watch face.Unfortunately doing this makes the screen area even smaller so finger usage is near impossible.The only way around that was to connect the watch to a bluetooth keyboard but who wants to wheel around with a keyboard?

Edited by jrkline

8 hours ago, jrkline said:

The android watch screens are too small to be effective for use with wheel apps.I tried this out a couple of months back when I purchased an Android watch.The screen dpi is only 300 x 300 and it cannot show the complete screen in either the Kingsong or Gotway apps so it cuts off parts of the screen.The only way I got around this was to install a dpi screen changing app from the play store and the app requires root.Once I managed to root the watch(which was a big pain in the a$$),I was able to reset the dpi to a lower setting and get the whole app screen to fit on the watch face.Unfortunately doing this makes the screen area even smaller so finger usage is near impossible.The only way around that was to connect the watch to a bluetooth keyboard but who wants to wheel around with a keyboard?

As the photos are not mine, i only post links to 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/GotWay/search/?query=kw88

concret:

or:

video:

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fniclas.lagerstrom%2Fvideos%2F10209039312412537%2F&width=500"

Thats good enough for me :-)

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

talking about BLUETOOTH and the PEBBLE

can the pebble connect to the wheel at the same time the wheel connects to your phone?

i thought that never works well

just wondering

thanks, as always, in advance

The Pebble is paired with your phone, not the wheel. The phone is paired with the wheel. In this demonstration, pressing the button on the watch sends a message to the phone to play the bicycle horn sound. My phone is paired to the Kingsong bluetooth module, so the bicycle horn sound plays on the Kingsong speakers instead of my phone. Works great.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

The Pebble is paired with your phone, not the wheel. The phone is paired with the wheel. In this demonstration, pressing the button on the watch sends a message to the phone to play the bicycle horn sound. My phone is paired to the Kingsong bluetooth module, so the bicycle horn sound plays on the Kingsong speakers instead of my phone. Works great.

I appreciate your information. Of course there are two devices connected to the PHONE, the WHEEL and the WATCH... I realized that Bluetooth has advanced over the years but I have always had trouble connecting two things to the phone at one time..... Have you not had THAT experience?

As always, I appreciate your advice and education

14 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

I appreciate your information. Of course there are two devices connected to the PHONE, the WHEEL and the WATCH... I realized that Bluetooth has advanced over the years but I have always had trouble connecting two things to the phone at one time..... Have you not had THAT experience?

As always, I appreciate your advice and education

Hey Greg,

No, I haven't had problems with more than one device connected. In this particular case my phone is connected to the Pebble watch via bluetooth and at the same time there are two connections (via bluetooth) between my phone and the wheel: WheelLog app is communicating to the wheel, and my phones sound is connected to the wheels bluetooth speaker module. So in this scenario I have three bluetooth devices connected to the phone. Never had an issue.

Maybe it's time for a new phone ;-)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1