MSuper V3 Mods

SuperSport

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:27 PM, dalewalker said:

Where did you get it done? I was looking into wraps in Adelaide for my new KS14D

I used to be a signwriter, so I did the wrapping myself. Unfortunately I don't own a $30k printer to print my own vinyl , so I got that done at Vale Signs in Lonsdale, but any signwriter could print and install it for you if you have a high quality file and the right dimensions. I only did the wrapping myself because I have the skills and wanted to save some cash.

8 hours ago, 16bitSprite said:

I used to be a signwriter

I owned a Sign Shop for 16 years, so I also did my own due to experience.  But you could surely find a video on YouTube to help with that.  With the right vinyl, you can take your time and get it on straight.

5 hours ago, SuperSport said:

I owned a Sign Shop for 16 years, so I also did my own due to experience.  But you could surely find a video on YouTube to help with that.  With the right vinyl, you can take your time and get it on straight.

I guess you could do that if your dead keen to save some cash. I'd weigh up how much it costs for the print first and decide if you are willing to pay for it all over again. Vinyl is getting easier to install, but it's still no easy feat on an uneven surface, especially if you want it to last. I've done plenty of jobs for people in the past who have watched and told me they were glad they didn't attempt it themselves or that the had seen a YouTube video, tried it themselves and failed. My recommendation is not to attempt it unless the surface is completely flat. (Just my two cents)

I can't speak for elsewhere in the world but a couple of supplied (not installed) wheel sized prints in Australia on high quality conformable vinyl with a laminate would cost somewhere in the range of $80 - $120. A plain flat coloured conformable vinyl on the other hand would be $20 - $30.

Weigh up your options and if you can spare the cash for an attempt yourself, go for it. 

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to update.  New Shells.  These are GotWay supplied same color and soft touch finish as the Monster.

Also, the new 3D Printed Mud Guard.

I'll eventually paint the trolley handle and pedals flat black to match.

Image may contain: outdoor

Image may contain: outdoor and nature

6 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Just wanted to update.  New Shells.  These are GotWay supplied same color and soft touch finish as the Monster.

Also, the new 3D Printed Mud Guard.

I'll eventually paint the trolley handle and pedals flat black to match.

Image may contain: outdoor

Very nice looking - for a second there I thought it was my Monster. You must be well connected. How did you even know that Gotway makes these shells and how did you go about getting it?  I'm not yet into modding my wheels, but you provide some inspiration :thumbup: 

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Very nice looking - for a second there I thought it was my Monster. You must be well connected. How did you even know that Gotway makes these shells and how did you go about getting it?  I'm not yet into modding my wheels, but you provide some inspiration :thumbup: 

I am friends with a distributor, but I have another friend that bought these for me from our Distributor friend.  We did a bunch of mods to his wheel this weekend, and he surprised me with these shells in return.  Pretty cool!!!

Yes, it's a Monster Mini Me.

• 2 months later...

Could you post pictures of the wiring of the EL lights? You also mentioned how they are turned on by a single button close to the trolley handle. 

I assume you have 2 EL light units one for each side, right? If so how do you activate them from 1 single button? I'm very curious about how you made this work as i'm currently trying myself. 

Hey Guys, sorry about being late to respond.  I'm now available to open my wheel and do photos.  I'll try to get them today.

For the power source, I simply spliced into the USB port for power.

For the TWO Light Strips, I soldered two plugs onto the Power Module.  They also have Y connectors already made that would be a better option, but I didn't want to wait on shipping. I also soldered the EL strip for the second side myself.  It would be MUCH easier to just buy two separate strips and cut them to length and leave the plug intact because soldering to the EL wire is a pain.  It's SUPER small work.  If you want to do the soldering yourself, look to YouTube for tutorials on how to do that.

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Black-Splitter-Cable-Connector/dp/B00GYV5GXU/ref=sr_1_cc_7?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1493740862&sr=1-7-catcorr&keywords=el+lighting+splitter

Here's what I bought for the EL wire.  I ended up changing out the included power supplies for a single one that works MUCH better and uses the power from the USB Circuit. I kept burning up the stock modules when I plugged them into the USB Port.  This mod uses roughly 2 feet of EL wire for each side.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JGGNRVM/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the power module I ended up using.  I cut off the plug on the end and soldered it onto the USB wire.  A plug would have been a better idea.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X3UQT40/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the power switch I used, but I would recommend a larger 16mm switch instead.  This one is too small.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D4HE79U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

16mm switch options:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=16mm+switch

I'll try to get photos in a bit.

It seems quite easy (smart) the way you set it up.

So basically i would just open up my msuper
unscrew the female USB plug next to the power button and push it down by the cables below
connect this male USB https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X3UQT40/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 into the female USB plug

connect this y connector https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Black-Splitter-Cable-Connector/dp/B00GYV5GXU/ref=sr_1_cc_7?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1493740862&sr=1-7-catcorr&keywords=el+lighting+splitter to the small EL connector from the male USB device from the first link

then connect the EL lights themselves to the Y splitter connector

but where does the power button come into this? I want to screw in the power button(powering the el lights) to where the USB used to be so it's easy to turn on and off and that way i would have to drill holes in the body of my msuper.

I did a horrible wiring job on this.  I was tired and rushed it a LOT.  Don't imitate my poor wiring.  Some day I MIGHT go back and clean it up.  I just used wire Electrical Tape and parts I had laying around.  Everything is soldered, but I'll install more plugs if I go back to this.

Here's how I wired it:

EL_Lighting.jpg

Here is the Switch:

IMG_1871.jpg

Here's the Splice into the USB Port wires:

IMG_1872.jpg

Here is the wire running up to the switch White/Blue:

IMG_1873.jpg

And here is the EL Module Double Sided Taped inside.  Please don't leave a tangled web of wires like I have... ;)  :

IMG_1874.jpg

9 minutes ago, xiiijojjo said:

It seems quite easy (smart) the way you set it up.

So basically i would just open up my msuper
unscrew the female USB plug next to the power button and push it down by the cables below
connect this male USB https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X3UQT40/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 into the female USB plug

connect this y connector https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Black-Splitter-Cable-Connector/dp/B00GYV5GXU/ref=sr_1_cc_7?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1493740862&sr=1-7-catcorr&keywords=el+lighting+splitter to the small EL connector from the male USB device from the first link

then connect the EL lights themselves to the Y splitter connector

but where does the power button come into this? I want to screw in the power button(powering the el lights) to where the USB used to be so it's easy to turn on and off and that way i would have to drill holes in the body of my msuper.

I'm sure you could use a USB Y splitter of sorts to get a switch into the mix.  Or make one up.  I wired direct, so I just tapped into the USB wire, leaving my USB port in place for a phone emergency.

You could always buy one of these and tear it apart and replace the switch with the round replacement.  Or just cut a USB Extension Cable in half and wire in the switch.  Might be cheaper.

615wT7CZ0qL._SL1024_.jpg

Also, just so you all know.  See how clean it is inside?  That's AFTER riding through water that came half way up the wheel, also through torrential rains, snow a few times, and on the beach a few times!  This thing is pretty water resistant!!!

Here's the deep water crossing, and NO water entered the wheel.  Even after I stopped and stood there for a minute.  In the deepest spot, it was over my ankles.  I'm impressed!

I'd prefer to make it the way you did to keep the USB port so i can charge phones. 

I'm sorry but this is a little confusing to me. First of all i don't quite understand the splicing. I see a white and red wire going into some other wires but i don't know which.

I think i'm going to buy these: 

(El Module)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XSMLC63/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATJV1DMHQM50Z&psc=1
(Y splitter)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FLRWKAY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3I826466U8R8A&psc=1

and use my perfectly good power button (with 5 wires?) if i can.18253861_1448617378530216_807344498_n.jpg

So from what i understand a USB cable has four wires black,white,red, green.FMU2ROGH0OJ28O5.MEDIUM.jpg

So i should take this B06XSMLC63(EL module) and cut off the male connector to expose the 4 wires but which of these wires are soldered to which wires on the button?
And which wires from the button AND EL module should be spliced to the control board usb? The rest of the circuit is easy as it's just connecting the EL strips to the y splitter which is connected to the EL module 

Again sorry but i'm terrible with these things. I just need to make sure i don't blow up my msuper, i REALLY appreciate the help by the way!

No problem whatsoever.  Happy to help.

For starters, if you want the EL Lighting ON all the time, you can completely bypass the extra switch and just connect the Module directly to the USB port wiring.  This way, they EL will be on every time the wheel is on.  Since I only have 820Wh battery, and I like to ride LONG distances, I don't like to pull from the battery unless I decide to.

Is that an extra Power Button, or the original Power Button that is still being used for the wheel?  I have not tested the Pins on that switch to see if you can use two pins for another source and device.  You could put a tester to it and find out.  But, if all the pins are currently being used, you may not be able to use it and may need a secondary switch.

17 minutes ago, xiiijojjo said:

So i should take this B06XSMLC63(EL module) and cut off the male connector to expose the 4 wires but which of these wires are soldered to which wires on the button?

IF you are using a second switch, take the GND from the Module to one side of the New Power Button.  Take another wire from the other side of the power button to the GND wire on the USB Port.

Take the RED + wire all the way from the Module to the USB Port.

This will switch ON/OFF the Negative Side between the USB Port and the Module.  That will power the Module on and off.

On the Module, Ground SHOULD be black and Positive should be Red.  But, if in doubt, you can open the Module and verify which wires are used.  (That's what I did to be sure)

In my drawing above, the wires coming out of the BOTTOM of the Module are the EL connections.  I soldered mine, so you can ignore those if you are using a Y Adapter.  You only need to deal with the power coming into the top of the Module.

4 hours ago, SuperSport said:

And, for the record, here are new photos of my wheel that my friend Todd recently took in San Francisco.  I flat blacked the pedals and handle.

Front.jpg

Rear.jpg

Fountain.jpg

Thats is by far the nicest Msuper V3 i know!!!

I especially like the black pedals.....

Very good job!

I also only have 820WH so i would like to be able to turn them on and off. 
The power button i salveged from a generic unicycle.

This is a lot to take in but i really wanna order the EL module and y splitter so i can get started! :) Do you think the salvaged power button will do? 

Perhaps one little tip:

I have done a black "see through" 3M tape over my backlight....to get a clean black/white look on my v3 ...(i have done the red plastics white, and also have white sidepanels....

So this black tape over the backlight would get the last red away from your blue/black combo....

8 minutes ago, xiiijojjo said:

This is a lot to take in but i really wanna order the EL module and y splitter so i can get started! :) Do you think the salvaged power button will do? 

Yes.  You will just need to find which pins to use.  Use an Ohm meter to find the ones that get switched on and off.

PS:  I wish I was closer, I'd come over and help you get it done. :)

PPS:  The USB EL module I received is different from the one in the photo on the order page.  I'm not sure which one you'll end up with, but they should be similar.  Mine is BARELY thin enough to fit in the case.  I hope that other style is also.

Just now, KingSong69 said:

Here is what i mean with the backlight....would look awsome on yours!

That is VERY cool looking!  My only concern is if it darkens the tail light at all.  I like all the safety I can get when I ride at night or especially at dusk.

Archived