MSuper V3 Mods

SuperSport

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/21/2016 at 9:11 PM, zlymex said:

Photo for the first three can be found here:

Photos for the later three attached. The current sensor is LEM LTS 25-NP and the fan is measured as 40x40x10mm.

I didn't upgrade anything(case or battery pack), I just added some battery cells(2 parallel 16 series) to my V3 820Wh version making the total capacity of 1230Wh. The photo is unfinished(no welding, no wiring, no BMS) to reveal the arrangement of cells. The original color of the cells are red, I wrapped another layer of blue shrink-wrap for extra protection. I'm not recommending this because it take special care to install the cells.
Fan-CurrentSensor.jpg
add-410Wh.jpg

Can I ask you a question. When you had the unit apart was there any safety measure for the axel nut.  I know the V2's had a problem with the axel nut coming loose causing crashes which should never happen because it's easy to implement a self locking nut feature.  Anyway I'm curious if anyone or you know if there is anything there for safety?

On 2016. 11. 12. at 7:53 AM, swvision said:

I love the way your wheel looks @SuperSport 

@ydevl4b 

Did you notice a difference with the magnets attached to your power line? Does it eliminate buzzing sound when you turn the headlight on?

I used it ferrite core but There seems to be no big change.

The buzzing sound noise from the headlights did not occur.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2016 at 6:11 PM, zlymex said:

Photos for the later three attached. The current sensor is LEM LTS 25-NP and the fan is measured as 40x40x10mm.

I didn't upgrade anything(case or battery pack), I just added some battery cells(2 parallel 16 series) to my V3 820Wh version making the total capacity of 1230Wh. The photo is unfinished(no welding, no wiring, no BMS) to reveal the arrangement of cells. The original color of the cells are red, I wrapped another layer of blue shrink-wrap for extra protection. I'm not recommending this because it take special care to install the cells.
Fan-CurrentSensor.jpg
add-410Wh.jpg

This is great work!

Can you share how your additional cells were installed (by pictures too)? I'm getting a 2nd hand 680wH and thinking of adding more battery cells... 

Thanks.

10 hours ago, stevenvo said:

This is great work!

Can you share how your additional cells were installed (by pictures too)? I'm getting a 2nd hand 680wH and thinking of adding more battery cells... 

Thanks.

Thanks, no problem. Here is my sketch diagram and the batteries without heat shrink wrap.
32cells-sch.jpg

32cells.jpg

49 minutes ago, stevenvo said:

@zlymex thanks again. Do you use additional BMS or just add the battery cell? And where did you buy those cells?

I don't use BMS, I use fuse only. I have several battery packs like this for more than 2 years, and I often open the wrapping to check status(such as out of balance, internal resistance) for individual cells.

That is also one of the reasons why I don't recommend this.

I bought those cells on taobao.com, and I check every cell for capacity and uniformity before actual use.

42 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Thanks @SuperSport, that looks like a very practical solution. How did you fix those bumpers to the wheel? Every once in while when I'm out playing in the woods, my poor V3 finds itself in full swing without a rider :innocent1:. I'd be worried, those bumpers could act as a lever to break the shell if attached very solidly. Do you think using nylon screws (something like https://www.amazon.com/General-Nylon-Screw-Washer-Assortment/dp/B01G056FRK/ref=sr_1_13?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1480533764) would break first and thus save the shell? 

11 minutes ago, Tilmann said:

Thanks @SuperSport, that looks like a very practical solution. How did you fix those bumpers to the wheel? Every once in while when I'm out playing in the woods, my poor V3 finds itself in full swing without a rider :innocent1:. I'd be worried, those bumpers could act as a lever to break the shell if attached very solidly. Do you think using nylon screws (something like https://www.amazon.com/General-Nylon-Screw-Washer-Assortment/dp/B01G056FRK/ref=sr_1_13?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1480533764) would break first and thus save the shell? 

It is possible that this might stress the shell a bit on a hard fall.  I haven't crashed yet, nor do I plan to, so I'm not concerned about that.  I'm a conservative rider.  Yes, I'm aware it may happen some day, but around 1000 miles now and not one real fall.  Once on the beach, and once doing a tight 360 turn, but nothing while moving at any speed.

I drilled a very small hole and used the supplied screws to attach these.  I think the screw will pull out during a crash, but no guarantee of course.  For me, it's really handy when I go into a store and have to pay, or when taking a break for a moment, or a photo.

Boat.jpg

Lake.jpg

Thanks for your explanations! I'll try my luck with the nylon screws.

18 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

I haven't crashed yet, nor do I plan to ... <snip> ...  I'm a conservative rider.

Mere months ago, I would have said exactly the same about myself. Then, during a group ride on the outskirts of Berlin, we happened to find bmx trails in the forest with very friendly bike riders inviting us to use their tracks. Got to tell'ya: you're missing out on a lot of fun if you don't try that one day! The V3 has wonderful torque to manage impossibly steep inclines and even accelerate from almost stand still. It requires a technique to squeeze the V3 between your thighs and push forward by bending your knees as just weight shifting on the pedals is not sufficient. It's enormous fun at low speeds and very low risk to hurt yourself (we didn't even think of competing the bikes for speed). With very little exercise, we mastered trails with our EUCs in one go, that would be next to impossible to walk without holding on to the trees right and left. Mind you, I'm 60 and the proverbial opposite of an athlete...:popcorn: But: it's never too late for a happy childhood.

The caveat: To explore the limits and develop basic skills to stretch the envelope a bit, I had to step over the line a few times. Nothing dramatical, as the low speeds allow to rather walk then run off any involuntary dismount, but my poor V3 went down the steep slopes on its own a few times. It received a few scratches that were well worth it (moved up 'vinyl wrapping' on my priorities list). That's why I'm worried, that anything solid protruding from the shell could cause more than cosmetic damage with this kind of abuse.

2 hours ago, Tilmann said:

Thanks for your explanations! I'll try my luck with the nylon screws.

Sounds like a good idea.  I have found that these bumpers take a bit of stress holding up this heavy wheel, so find strong nylon screws and you should be fine.

Got to tell'ya: you're missing out on a lot of fun if you don't try that one day!

I'm far from someone who does not try things most wont.  I'm up for most any challenge that gets my heart racing, be it EUC's, Motorcycles, Mt Biking, Skydiving, Snorkling, Diving, Flying, Climbing, Repelling, etc...  Bring them on...  :w00t2:

165 Foot Free Rope Rappel into a Cave.  This gets the heart going!

Repelling.jpg

I'm 60 and the proverbial opposite of an athlete...

I'm 50, and age is Only a Number.  It's all in the head.  That's why I wear helmets... :D

...but my poor V3 went down the steep slopes on its own a few times.

I've decided that I really LOVE my v3, and do not want it beat up, thus the easy riding.  I also look at resale on most things I have.  I have ridden off road lightly, but nothing too heavy.

@SuperSport Wow! Not sure, I would have the guts to decent IN to the cave, but damned sure I'd stay there until somebody brings a motor winch to lift me OUT :yawn:

@steve454 Thanks for the good idea! As my V3 looks a bit sorry as a price for my cheap thrills, it's vinyl wrap first and parking bumpers second. I don't expect the vinyl film to hold the RTV attached bumpers - so, nylon screws it will be. Also, if I don't grow up soon (little chance of that), that vinyl wrap may be subject to occasional renewal...

16 hours ago, steve454 said:

@Tilmann you could try silicone RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) adhesive, it would probably be strong enough to hold the rubber things on while parking, but would probably shear off in a crash without damaging the shell.

I don't know that it would hold.  I tried very strong thin 3M Double Sided tape that holds most things, and they came right off when I tried to park it.  There's actually a lot of stress on these when parking.  On the 1600Wh, there will be even more.

16 hours ago, steve454 said:

@SuperSport do you think those rubber nubs would work on a Ninebot?

I'm not sure where to place them for that.  I've got the parking stand and I've added spacers on mine to make it more stable.

20160523_140522046_iOS.jpg

15 hours ago, Tilmann said:

@SuperSport Wow! Not sure, I would have the guts to decent IN to the cave, but damned sure I'd stay there until somebody brings a motor winch to lift me OUT :yawn:

It was terrifying when I first came out of the hole into a wide open cavern.  I had to let go of the rocks and transfer my hands to the rope.  I thought I'd die.

Fortunately, there is a really tall spiral staircase to climb out of the cave on.

IYE_URUzMYefidMEKtGuRlMzcK8iI6wacdc39xnG

15 hours ago, Tilmann said:

Also, if I don't grow up soon (little chance of that), that vinyl wrap may be subject to occasional renewal...

I Love your attitude.  I plan to never grow up either.  :roflmao:

On 2016/11/14 at 7:58 AM, Donafello said:

Can I ask you a question. When you had the unit apart was there any safety measure for the axel nut.  I know the V2's had a problem with the axel nut coming loose causing crashes which should never happen because it's easy to implement a self locking nut feature.  Anyway I'm curious if anyone or you know if there is anything there for safety?

The axel nuts seem to be the same as V2, no self locking nut feature.

The axel nuts did come to loose once on my V2, but nothing happened to my V3 yet.
MS-V3.jpg

20 minutes ago, zlymex said:

The axel nuts seem to be the same as V2, no self locking nut feature.

The axel nuts did come to loose once on my V2, but nothing happened to my V3 yet.
MS-V3.jpg

Are those 2 bars meant to keep nut from coming loose?

12 minutes ago, Donafello said:

Are those 2 bars meant to keep nut from coming loose?

I'm not quite sure about this. When the nut is tightened up, those 2 bars will squeeze the axel, because there are two tilting surfaces outside. The squeezing force will keep the bars firmly attached to the axel, if the nut is not come to loose. Photo of the axel below is from EUC Extreme, who think the mechenism is not good and replaced the axel.
EU-EX-14251694.jpg

45 minutes ago, zlymex said:

I'm not quite sure about this. When the nut is tightened up, those 2 bars will squeeze the axel, because there are two tilting surfaces outside. The squeezing force will keep the bars firmly attached to the axel, if the nut is not come to loose.

This is correct.  You can always pull the nut, add Loctite and tighten back down.  Or, you can buy a different nut with locking feature built in. (I used Loctite)

180px-Nylon_Lock_Nut.png

4 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

This is correct.  You can always pull the nut, add Loctite and tighten back down.  Or, you can buy a different nut with locking feature built in. (I used Loctite)

180px-Nylon_Lock_Nut.png

That looks good.
Most of us here have not experience the problem. The nuts of my V2 only come to loose at about 5000km. However, for off-road riders or perhaps heavy riders, the problem is getting worse. EUC Extreme said that is is not the nuts that come to loose, it is the tilting aluminum that gives in first.

Archived