Comparison of few 14 inch tires

xebeche

@xebeche Excellent review! (if I could give you more rep on there, I would) So is the Chao Yang or the Schwalbe the one that will stay on your V5F+?

Also, can you post some links of where you purchased these tires? (The Chao Yang and the Schwalbe in particular) Thanks!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, xebeche said:

I got Chao Yang H-5146 from @Jason McNeil

Amazing review, thanks for sharing. I'd like to take credit for exhaustively conducting tests with different brand tires & deriving at the Chao Yang, but if I'm honest, it was pure blind luck of IPS sending us these in our parts order.

Edited by Jason McNeil
  • Upvote 3

To have a more definite conclusion I would like to test at least one more tire from CST. I have seen their tires on many EUC photos and videos, and like Chao Yang they are also huge company which should ensure reasonable quality level of their products.

CST (turnover for 2014. - 4.4 billion $) - http://www.csttires.eu/en/about-us/company.html
Chao Yang (turnover for 2014. - 5.4 billion $) - http://www.chaoyangtire.com/index.php/company

Setting only the highest price as indication when looking for the CST tire, I have obviously chosen wrong type which is made out of too hard rubber (puncture protection), which is not flexible enough and has unsuitable thread shape for EUC. Therefore I will look for another CST tire, more suitable for EUC use, and add it to the comparison when I test it.

It is unfortunate that western companies (Continental, Michelin, Schwalbe...) don't yet find it financially viable to make tires specific for EUC use. Looking at the construction differences of the tires I have, it is not difficult to conclude that bicycle tires like Schwalbe Big Apple are not really made to have loads which can easily exceed 90kg (EUC + rider) on only one small tire.

• Upvote 3

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 1:05 AM, xebeche said:

Cons: it REALY (!) likes to misbehave when you have any vertical lines or deformations along your route, you are immediately “railed”.

This is EXACTLY the same issue / main complain about Kenda stock tire on V8! It simply "snaps" into the grooves (almost) parallel with direction of your ride and I find the highly uncomfortable, even dangerous. I also plan to test a few tires starting with a spare I've purchased for KS-16 and indeed if @Jason McNeil would have any other models for comparison more the merrier.

• Upvote 2

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:07 AM, xebeche said:

I got Chao Yang H-5146 from @Jason McNeil

13 minutes ago, Chris Westland said:

xebeche, where were you able to buy the 14" Chao Yang H-5146?  Anyplace online.  Alibaba seems to want an 800 minimum order size.

1 hour ago, Chris Westland said:

xebeche, where were you able to buy the 14" Chao Yang H-5146?  Anyplace online.  Alibaba seems to want an 800 minimum order size.

Hi Chris, Alibaba is wholesale, b2b orientated, Aliexpress is for small / single quantity purchases. As @HEC already wrote I bought Chao Yang from @Jason McNeil. I doubt you would save any money ordering the tire directly from China, and with Jason you can be sure what you are getting.

• Upvote 2

Hello all,

I ride a Kenda 2.125 x 14 stock KS14c tire, only further info on tire is 54-254.

Any one have any thoughts reviews on this tire, thanks!

I have found that pressure is vital to performance and like 3.5 bar best.

U K J

Ok I just upgraded my V5F+, it took me 3 hours from start to finish lol although next time I could do it in half the time but still.. I salute you for testing all these tires!

Got a flat a couple of weeks ago and came across this thread. I have the first version that came with the thinner 1.95" tire. Instead of just changing the tube I decided to contact @Jason McNeil to see if he could fix me up with a better tire.. I told him about this thread and requested the H-5146, he checked for me and arranged to send out both that tire and an inner tube, excellent service as expected!

The H-5167 is slick in the middle, as you start to lean it has some slits. But then if you lean more it becomes slick again, albeit with grooves so not like the middle.. Then finally in extreme leaning you get to the gritty pattern. So it seems not to progress like usual from slick to more grooves, slits or grit, but instead kind of switches back and forth somewhat between slick and nonslick down the side.. That might explain why control might feel a tad more erratic or something? Just speculating I'm no tire expert.

The CST tires are probably the best for offroad being deeply grooved and long lasting durable rubber. From my experience with the 18" Msuper v3 the E-Bike Pro is a very stable tire in that size at least. You quickly get a feel for how much leaning can be done, because it really starts to resist leaning as you approach the edge. Not like some other tires you can just keep leaning more and more and you keep feeling grip all the way, then suddenly it slides away... :) Yes I did that once long ago on dry asphalt with my V5F+ man I was leaning! (that 'crash', more of a slide really, was just a very short fall with such low angle to the ground, so no hard impact or anything serious).

The bigger wheels already have bigger turn radius and higher speed so extreme leaning is less useful. Making tight lower speed turns on the Msuper, you have to actively twist the shell with your legs anyway, instead of just more leaning. So I can see why they picked that tire. Making tight turns on the V5F+ feels amazing because you can really lean a lot with the high oval pedals together with the hard response riding mode. I think the E-Bike Pro would spoil maybe too much agility for this wheel..

I'll keep this very nice H-5146 on, for this nimble wheel it still seems like the best compromise overall. You gave it 10 points both for control and asphalt grip (which are needed all the time) while retaining great gravel grip as well (which is also often needed). The H-5167 seems great too.

Thanks for all the info really appreciate it!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

@xebeche that's an incredible amount of work you did. Thanks for detailing your findings and sharing them with us. I own a 14, so I'm very interested in your conclusions.  

Thank you :)

Question. Why no Kenda?  I see them on lots of things. My ks14c has one.  

I had the Kenda on my list and already found where to buy it locally, but then @HEC mentioned in his post (check posts above), that he had very similar issue with Kenda tire on his V8 like I had with Hota on my V5.  

• Upvote 1

On 17 October 2016 at 0:18 PM, HEC said:

This is EXACTLY the same issue / main complain about Kenda stock tire on V8! It simply "snaps" into the grooves (almost) parallel with direction of your ride and I find the highly uncomfortable, even dangerous. I also plan to test a few tires starting with a spare I've purchased for KS-16 and indeed if @Jason McNeil would have any other models for comparison more the merrier.

That effect is called " tram-lining"? I believe I.e. If your tire gets too close to a tram-line going in about the same direction, it will snap into the grove and follow it, often with disastrous results,. Cyclist and motorcyclist learn early, or the hard way, to cross deep groves at an obtuse angle, to avoid tram-lining, and face plants.  Here at my beach there are walkways that cross the main promenade.  They are a series of wooden planks, with sizeable gaps in between, that run parallel to my direction.  It's like 40 tram-lines 15 to 20cm apart.  Being aware of the dangers of tram-lining, I used to cross at an angle.  But as I got better, I discovered that my Kenda is quite resistant to the effect.   Sounds odd, especially as I always thought tram-lining was independent of tire brand. I now cross at any angle I feel ike, even slaloming across them.  Maybe they will be the subject of my next face plant.?

• Upvote 2

That effect is called " tram-lining"? I believe I.e. If your tire gets too close to a tram-line going in about the same direction, it will snap into the grove and follow it, often with disastrous results,. Cyclist and motorcyclist learn early, or the hard way, to cross deep groves at an obtuse angle, to avoid tram-lining, and face plants.  Here at my beach there are walkways that cross the main promenade.  They are a series of wooden planks, with sizeable gaps in between, that run parallel to my direction.  It's like 40 tram-lines 15 to 20cm apart.  Being aware of the dangers of tram-lining, I used to cross at an angle.  But as I got better, I discovered that my Kenda is quite resistant to the effect.   Sounds odd, especially as I always thought tram-lining was independent of tire brand. I now cross at any angle I feel ike, even slaloming across them.  Maybe they will be the subject of my next face plant.?

The problem is that I ride over the same areas with 4 another EUCs with different tires and it's only V8 with supplied Kenda tire which does this. So this is definitely depending on the type / model of the tire.

• Upvote 3

That is one serious obstacle you are talking about, I would always be careful when crossing those planks and not only because of the tire.

HEC and I had a problem with smaller and much more common gaps / cracks / uneven surfaces, like these:

2iiwm53.jpg 2mkb3t.jpg16i9v80.jpg

Better tires (Chao Yang, CST...) handle these without any problems, while Hota could seriously derail you even on the small ones.

• Upvote 1