How does "Mention" work?

So I'm stupid but I can't figure out how to "mention" a person in the editor. You know that blue field that links to the person's profile. The Invision Power Services homepage just says "Notify other members by typing their name to mention them". That doesn't seem to work for me. I have tried putting a '@' before the name and I have searched the menus for tools but nothing works. Does the editor accept HTML or should I switch browser from Chrome?

Just for the sake of it, I will try to mention John Eucist: @John Eucist.

@Snurre You start off by typing @whoever then a box should pop up with matches.  Then you mouse-click (or tap if mobile) the person you want to mention.  Sometimes (but not often) it's funky and the popup doesn't show up after a long wait, if that happens just delete and try again.  If it persists then maybe try a hard refresh or try a different browser. 

For me, it seems to actually help to type two @@'s to get the popup to show up fast, and then delete the latter '@', and start writing the name of the person, then picking the person from the list. When just typing one '@', the popup can take a while to show up, or sometimes doesn't at all.

17 hours ago, esaj said:

For me, it seems to actually help to type two @@'s to get the popup to show up fast, and then delete the latter '@', and start writing the name of the person, then picking the person from the list. When just typing one '@', the popup can take a while to show up, or sometimes doesn't at all.

I just tryed the two @@ tipp. Unfortionately it did not help - neither with chrome or firefox. Once mentioning stopped working (after ~3 mentions) nothing helps anymore.

Additionally it happened that i cannot insert line breaks anymore (Pressing return is ignored) after mentioning stopped working.

Could be that in the forum software the mentioning process could "hang" after some tries and block somehow other functions while one tries to write a post?

Just now, Chriull said:

I just tryed the two @@ tipp. Unfortionately it did not help - neither with chrome or firefox. Once mentioning stopped working (after ~3 mentions) nothing helps anymore.

In my case, typing a single @ does not always bring up the popup at all, and sometimes it does after a while. Typing two @@'s, the popup shows up immediately with the "rolling" animation, but won't start to fill until I erase one @ and type at least one letter. This on Chrome version 53.0.2785.143  ( chrome://version ). 

Just now, Chriull said:

Additionally it happened that i cannot insert line breaks anymore (Pressing return is ignored) after mentioning stopped working.c

I've noticed this sometimes too. Last time when writing a longer post (about the broken CNC spindle driver and subsequently designing and building my own), I had to use copy-pasting line-changes towards the end :D Also, sometimes (like actually right now) up/down arrow keys stop working for moving around the post, at which point mouse needs to be used to hop between lines/paragraphs.

Just now, Chriull said:

Could be that in the forum software the mentioning process could "hang" after some tries and block somehow other functions while one tries to write a post?

It isn't the first time an update screws up things. Looking at what the JavaScript-debugger says, right now it throws an exception ("Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'getText' of null") all the time while writing or moving back and forth on the post with left- and right arrow keys :D  One thing I hate about web-development (although I don't actually do it myself, except on very rare occasions) is the endless battle against ever-changing browsers, their support (or lack thereof) of things and the hacks you constantly have to make to get things working across all the platforms and different browsers. Oh, and this:  https://hackernoon.com/how-it-feels-to-learn-javascript-in-2016-d3a717dd577f#.nrrofjuvi

@Chriull sometimes if the @ thing stops working, try pressing return to do it on a blank line.  I find mid sentence it tends to glitch sometimes.  On my iPhone6 it seems to work pretty consistently. Or at least with this message @Chriull I haven't needed to do it. @Chriull.  @Chriull Blahshhss @Chriull hdienbrfid @Chriull.

Okay I just updated the forum to the latest version.  Apparently it was already (just) released when I made the last post about it.  I checked their board and everyone upgraded without a hitch and running smoothly.  So I took the plunge.  Let me know if the "mention" problems still exist.  Also let me know if there are any new problems.

• 4 weeks later...
On 18.10.2016 at 5:18 PM, John Eucist said:

Okay I just updated the forum to the latest version.  Apparently it was already (just) released when I made the last post about it.  I checked their board and everyone upgraded without a hitch and running smoothly.  So I took the plunge.  Let me know if the "mention" problems still exist.  Also let me know if there are any new problems.

With my reply just before i had the same probs like with the older forum version - after some time/length of post the mentioning did not work anymore and also inserting line brakes by pressing return stopped working...

... I forgot @Hunka Hunka Burning Love's tipp to try mentioning on a blank line... ;( i'll try that next time...

...And always make sure upfront to have some spare blank lines to copy paste them, once the return key stops working...

PS.: Just happened again - so if mentioning stops working it also does not work on a blank line (at least here and now...;) ) ... But line breaks can be copy pasted from every paragraph, so no reserve blank lines are needed ;)

2 minutes ago, Chriull said:

With my reply just before i had the same probs like with the older forum version - after some time/length of post the mentioning did not work anymore and also inserting line brakes by pressing return stopped working...

... I forgot @Hunka Hunka Burning Love's tipp to try mentioning on a blank line... ;( i'll try that next time...

...And always make sure upfront to have some spare blank lines to copy paste them, once the return key stops working...

PS.: Just happened again - so if mentioning stops working it also does not work on a blank line (at least here and now...;) ) ... But line breaks can be copy pasted from every paragraph, so no reserve blank lines are needed ;)

Yeah I have no idea why they haven't fixed this yet.  Sometimes when I see that happening I just CTRL-F5 hard refresh the page and try again and it seems to work.

@Chriull I notice the same problems.  Usually a new line can get it working on my iPhone, but it can be a struggle.  I also noticed the return key won't work on my PC sometimes when it glitches as well.  @John Eucist also it's super hard trying to invoke @MattJ's username.  I have to type @MattJ then delete the J to get it.  Glitch city!  :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Chriull said:

Just encountered a new glitch - It was not possible anymore to divide the quoted part of a post by pressing return. This also occasionaly took some tries till now...

What do you mean by that?  I divide quotes by quoting again and again (each time deleting portions).  I wasn't aware there was a different way.

For example:

Just encountered a new glitch

abc

It was not possible anymore to divide the quoted part of a post by pressing return.

def

This also occasionaly took some tries till now...

ghi

1 hour ago, John Eucist said:

What do you mean by that?  I divide quotes by quoting again and again (each time deleting portions).  I wasn't aware there was a different way.

I just quote one time and then put the cursor in the quoted part and press enter (a couple of times, sometimes one has to set the cursor to a different position, but until this one time it worked out every time...)

Is very nice, especially for longer quoted posts. One would have to delete quite much in every quote again and again.... Which maybe works out on a PC but not on an IPad or similar...

Archived