Want more range for your NINEBOT MINI? one problem but many solutions

7 hours ago, steve454 said:

I thought it was pretty good idea just to be pulling a trailer.  Then to have solar panels also is good idea!  It is people who have ideas that make progress.

I would think with the evolution of solar panel technology that shrinks panels to the size of a backpack would be a possibility.

We are in the beginning stages of self powered devices and all ideas are welcomed.

As it is, I had thought that my transport solution in the city would be an improved electric scooter.  Instead, the MiniPro fits my transport needs much better for now.

Enhancements happen when frustrations intersects innovation.

Edited by Rocky Romero

A shame this following product is still not available (for real):

Screenshot_20170811-092938.thumb.jpg.e9cc544d3699f0afbae12b45ac6952c8.jpg

That would be THE SOLUTION.

• Upvote 1

On 8/9/2017 at 7:02 PM, Rocky Romero said:

Off topic somewhat, is there muscle strengthening going on with the feet, legs and torso?

After such extended riding times, something is getting a workout.

After 500km it's easier than the first 50km. I'm not sure my foot muscles have been making much improvement between 300 and 500km though.   more off topic.  I'm hoping the design of the new miniplus incorporates a larger more comfortable footpad design although I'm likely to stick with the mini pro for a while since I now have parts, it can be packaged up into a duffel;e bag, extra batteries.  The mini Plus may not start out at a decent price, and it may have a crippled battery pack.  If it comes with a 520-580wh pack as would be easily possible given it's cell count then I will consider getting one.  I have an EUC and a Scooter I need to get more time on before I decide which direction I want to go.

11 hours ago, FreeRide said:

The mini Plus may not start out at a decent price, and it may have a crippled battery pack.  If it comes with a 520-580wh pack as would be easily possible given it's cell count then I will consider getting one.  

A range of 30 miles would be attractive.

Until then, I will carry a second battery for long rides.

New distance record for me in one outing.  MiniPro shows 59.9km, I actually thought it would be a bit more.  I walked one or two km also.  I will check with my gps tracking I used for roughly 1/2 the trip and see how close it is to the mini-pro.

1. I used 3 batteries, all 63V charge.
  2. I did the first swap after 26.3km, app reported 3km remaining, battery information reported 889mAh 15% battery capacity. 
  3. I did the second swap after an additional 19.7km, app reported 6km remaining, battery information reported 1356mAh 23% battery capacity.

I swapped the second battery a bit before I was intending too mainly because I was already stopped, and only 6km remaining was a bit lower than I expected at that time. I was also at a place where I preferred not to be restricted to 14km/h, as it was at that point, which I was surprised about. Battery temp was 36.4deg. C, so that might have contributed to earlier than expected 14km/h restriction.

My feet are not too happy, but they are a lot happier than a few hours a go.  Overall I was out for 8 1/2 hours, so I guess I should not be surprised as most of the time I was on the Segway.  Most of the trip was asphalt, after a few km on a gravel road I abandoned that route an headed back as my feet at that point didn't care for gravel and i had a section I needed to do on my way home anyway.  I will crack that section of road another day.  

2 extra batteries made for a very heavy backpack with a couple of drinks ice-pack, my battery change toolkit, rain coat, small amount of packaged food, pocket camera.  I actually forgot my binoculars which made the load lighter, but I really needed them.  The extra weight no doubt affects the distance also, but in general makes riding less enjoyable and makes the mini pro less agile and much more sensitive to road conditions.  

Edited by FreeRide

1 hour ago, FreeRide said:

New distance record for me in one outing.  MiniPro shows 59.9km, I actually thought it would be a bit more.  I walked one or two km also.  I will check with my gps tracking I used for roughly 1/2 the trip and see how close it is to the mini-pro.

1. I used 3 batteries, all 63V charge.
  2. I did the first swap after 26.3km, app reported 3km remaining, battery information reported 889mAh 15% battery capacity. 
  3. I did the second swap after an additional 19.7km, app reported 6km remaining, battery information reported 1356mAh 23% battery capacity.

Very impressive.

I will do this also, considering that I ran out of battery juice two blocks from home today.

I felt a little fatigued from that ride.

Thanks for testing endurance limits and sharing what is possible.

Edited by Rocky Romero

20 minutes ago, Rocky Romero said:

Very impressive.

I will do this also, considering that I ran out of battery juice two blocks from home today.

I felt a little fatigued from that ride.

Thanks for testing endurance limits and sharing what is possible.

Thanks.  The initial look at the GPS data suggests that my Mini-Pro is under reporting mileage by about 6.7%.  Google maps also seems to suggest a similar value, although the accumulated error in the mapping software may mean the different is less or that the segway is in fact accurate.  I'm going to investigate this a bit more.  

10 hours ago, FreeRide said:

Thanks.  The initial look at the GPS data suggests that my Mini-Pro is under reporting mileage by about 6.7%.  Google maps also seems to suggest a similar value, although the accumulated error in the mapping software may mean the different is less or that the segway is in fact accurate.  I'm going to investigate this a bit more.  

Are you thinking that we get better mileage than what the Segway app indicates?

5 hours ago, Rocky Romero said:

Are you thinking that we get better mileage than what the Segway app indicates?

Right now it looks that way, but in my smaller tests this didn't show up so I'm going to investigate and tripple check the numbers.

-OR- 

The mapping software accumulates a lot of error when it has to track on roads as they use many individual points and the distance error accumulates.

Edited by FreeRide

I have made some tests to compare the distance and the speed between 9B app and a GPS (orégon Scientific). The result is the 9B app show a little bit higher speed than the GPS (18 kph for the App vs 16,5 kph for GPS). It's the same for the distance with 1 more km for the App every 18 km.

Anyway I don't know any App which give the real speed, I have made the same compare between my GPS and GW MCM4 app, close to 2 kph more for the app when the GPS give 20km/h, and 1 more km for the distance every 10 km.

Edited by smallexis

On 17/08/2017 at 4:03 AM, Min Thu Aung said:

@smallexis impressive work. Inspired me to try the same thing. I have bought 2 third party mini batteries (4400mah) from Alibaba. I want to connect them in parallel to the main battery using either the charging port, or welded directly to the mainboard. Based on your experience, it should work, right?

So what did you decide to do?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2017 at 2:18 PM, kasenutty said:

I'm just here to say that I am the actual real solar panel expert :P

I can testify that I went to first charge myself up with some solar on a cool, crisp September morning ride on the Riverwalk.

I finally found a bench with the sun shining on it.

Closed my eyes, meditated ( not long), and the sun had moved from me when my eyes opened.

Maybe solar charging is yet to come in the future.

I welcome it, sooner than later.

On 8/20/2017 at 8:44 PM, FreeRide said:

I did a long ride on the MiniPro along the lakefront and swapped out the battery at 13 miles.  Made it back home with two bars or 5 miles to spare.

I'm getting the new 63V charger to increase the mileage, as you have.

Where can I buy more batteries for the MiniPro?

• 8 months later...

Bought a similar voltage booster, but this booster goes from 12 volts to 80 volts, the first voltage booster only went to 60 volts, pushing the limits of it. I can use the booster to charge the mini with the solar panels on that trailer but the booster keeps shutting down every time I pass under a tree! So the bleedy angle didn't matter (it works at that angle!!) Trees (shading) matter more...The only way around that would be using a regular solar charger from panel to a 12 volt battery then to the booster or use ultracapacitors but the capacity I would need are too expensive in capacitors! So now I can have a boosted battery with me and go double the distance...

Going with the boosted board, you don't have to worry about mismatch battery voltage plus...

I could still use the '12 volt' (17 volt in reality) solar panels on the trailer to charge both mini and external battery but I would have to be stationed, somewhere like at the beach for a couple of hours!!!

IMG_20180518_101510-2024x1518.jpg

IMG_20180518_132046-1518x2024.jpg

Edited by MetricUSA

• 1 year later...
On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 6:59 PM, smallexis said:

the first problem is for sending oversea lithium battery and the second one : to link the external battery to the charging plug is not the best solution

@smallexis Do you think you can make an external battery pack kit for extended range and sell it (shipping to Luxembourg)? How much would it cost?

I have two original batteries 5700Ah which have some imbalances between the cells which at full charge have a different level of charge (I checked with the NineBattery App), would you be able to manually balance the cells with your equipment?

Thank you 

• 1 year later...

Perhaps this info was already shared, but I didn't see it...

The pinout is Pin 1 is DC+ and Pin 2 is DC-

Other pins are not used. I was able to repair the broken female connector on my charger by cutting the broken one off, and replacing it with a new GX12 4P. It was $1.59 on Ebay and took about 2 weeks to arrive.