smallexis

Want more range for your NINEBOT MINI? one problem but many solutions

44 posts in this topic

I think you can compare both solutions in that both accomplish the same primary goal of extended range. These solutions may differ in how seamless they are, how convenient they are, and how much modification is required to the Mini. Personally I'm intrigued by both of your plans and I wait to see the results so I can weigh the pros and cons of both options. 

As a side question: Could a quick and dirty option simply be to string two battery packs together in Parallel somehow be an option? Or have them connected in series with a toggle to switch to the reserve battery? Perhaps you could string many packs together and get mega range (backpack loaded for 100km rides - lol - better hope it does catch on fire)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smallexis said:

 

2 interesting solutions but your goal is different from mine (which is to not use a backpack). So you can't really make a compare between our solutions.

I wasn't exactly making a comparison, I was getting involved in the general "extending the range" conversation and sharing some alternative solutions with other forum members. I think it's funny that you keep getting defensive when someone makes a suggestion that isn't exactly the same as yours. No one is trying to steal your lime light, we're just sharing ideas :) 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pezman said:

Perhaps you could string many packs together and get mega range (backpack loaded for 100km rides - lol - better hope it does catch on fire)

still done and you can see the result here 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, RooMiniPro said:

No one is trying to steal your lime light, we're just sharing ideas

Not a problem for me if you want to share new ideas, you're welcome.

But it's not the subject of this topic and someone which is not interested in using an external battery, will certainly not read this topic and will not discover other solution. Maybe it would be useful to open a new topic like "many solutions to extend your distance range"?

Edited by smallexis
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smallexis said:

it's not the subject of this topic and someone which is not interested in using an external battery, will certainly not read this topic and will not discover other solution.

I'm sorry, I'm confused..

I thought the subject here is actual an eternal battery, I checked 3 times and yup that's what it says. Eternal battery by definition would be outside the Mini and probably in a backpack. But I could be wrong, as I said I'm confused. :-) 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smallexis said:

Not a problem for me if you want to share new ideas, you're welcome.

But it's not the subject of this topic and someone which is not interested in using an external battery, will certainly not read this topic and will not discover other solution. Maybe it would be useful to open a new topic like "many solutions to extend your distance range"?

I think a better idea would be to just relax and allow an organic conversation. Your external battery powers the MiniPro while in use. My external battery charges the MiniPro while resting. They're both DIY external batteries designed to extend the range of the vehicle. So I don't think there's reason to get defensive or suggest that I take my alternative version to another thread. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pezman said:

I'm sorry, I'm confused..

I thought the subject here is actual an eternal battery, I checked 3 times and yup that's what it says. Eternal battery by definition would be outside the Mini and probably in a backpack. But I could be wrong, as I said I'm confused. :-) 

 

I too am interested in an eternal battery :D

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kasenutty said:

 

I too am interested in an eternal battery :D

maybe with uranium

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pezman said:

I'm sorry, I'm confused..

I thought the subject here is actual an eternal battery, I checked 3 times and yup that's what it says. Eternal battery by definition would be outside the Mini and probably in a backpack. But I could be wrong, as I said I'm confused. :-) 

 

2 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

I think a better idea would be to just relax and allow an organic conversation. Your external battery powers the MiniPro while in use. My external battery charges the MiniPro while resting. They're both DIY external batteries designed to extend the range of the vehicle. So I don't think there's reason to get defensive or suggest that I take my alternative version to another thread. 

Because I prefer peace rather than war, in order to please everybody I have renamed the topic :

image(337).png

do you still think I'm on defensive???

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair enough. Lets get back to discussing potential solutions. 

I was wondering if solar panels could generate enough power to trickle back to the Mini. Would there be enough return to actually extended the range?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My charger gives me enough extra range. It's a legit option for a North American mini owner who needs 5 more miles. Like me.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pezman said:

I was wondering if solar panels could generate enough power

with actual technology, solar panel can't be a solution (too much expensive and it require a very big surface of panel in order to give around 60V).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, smallexis said:

with actual technology, solar panel can't be a solution (too much expensive and it require a very big surface of panel in order to give around 60V).

Yeah that's what I was thinking...

Just brainstorming here.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

54 minutes ago, Pezman said:

Fair enough. Lets get back to discussing potential solutions. 

I was wondering if solar panels could generate enough power to trickle back to the Mini. Would there be enough return to actually extended the range?

I like the idea of this.  I have charged my MiniPro 100% by solar since I bought it. I have 200 watts of panels outside going into a 300 amp hour battery bank in my office that I use for charging my e-bikes, skateboards and the minipro as well as all my other gadgets. On bright days I run my laptop from it all day. But the panels are too large to carry by MiniPro.

However, i have a few folding portable panels that easily fit in a small backpack. One of them puts out an average of 50 watts in strong sun. It would be possible to step the voltage up to 63v and put some charge into the MiniPro if one were to rest in a park or somewhere in the sun for a couple of hours. But it would take all day (maybe two days) to fully charge the battery that way from low. There are larger folding panels though that produce more watts. I have a 100w Renogy folding panel; it's a DIY of two 50w panels in a briefcase configuration and is still too large to carry on a MiniPro for a long distance. But with it plugged into a battery and an invertor I get a portable (by car) 110v supply to power my things when away from the grid.

Edited by RooMiniPro
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I blew something and my first idea was to directly parallel the mini battery anyways, now I have to tear into it sooner, like now... We'll see what I did... And I already have 100 w panels just for on the go trailer charging and booster board...So got to see this through!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, MetricUSA said:

Well, I blew something and my first idea was to directly parallel the mini battery anyways, now I have to tear into it sooner, like now... We'll see what I did... And I already have 100 w panels just for on the go trailer charging and booster board...So got to see this through!

Yeah I don't feel comfortable about connecting another battery to the charging port and running it in parallel.  I prefer to stop, take a break and top the battery up.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Found blown fuse...F3 and a kinked thick + battery wire... Don't know amperage to use assuming 3 amp...

Would like to know what the white and yellow wires from plug are doing....

Studio_20170519_140553.jpg 

Oh my charger female plug on my Asain mini popped out on my this morning! Now how that happened? Now I am going to have to open that battery, too! Could be loose nut in pack!

Edited by MetricUSA
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, MetricUSA said:

Found blown fuse...F3 and a kinked thick + battery wire... Don't know amperage to use assuming 3 amp...

glad to know you have found the origin of your matter but is it possible to repare?

During my test I have measured more than 4A while using external battery linked to charging plug and BMS is still OK.

12 minutes ago, MetricUSA said:

Would like to know what the white and yellow wires from plug are doing....

Me too, I have supposed they are the link between BMS and mother board, maybe that's will explain if the battery is recognize by the motherboard or not.

Edited by smallexis
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's odd never read more than 2.2 a, but heard sparking like if your charger was live before plugging into mini...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now