The New Mavic Drone was released today!

Rehab1

Do you have any video of the crash on your phone?  I wonder if you can get some aerial bearings to try to narrow down the search location.  You definitely need a few more sets of eyes to try to find it.  Geez that grey colour is difficult to locate in the brown and grey in the forest.  Why not make these things fluorescent green or yellow with blinking lights and reflectors?  Even the DJI Phantom is white making it stand out a bit.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Do you have any video of the crash on your phone?  I wonder if you can get some aerial bearings to try to narrow down the search location.  You definitely need a few more sets of eyes to try to find it.  Geez that grey colour is difficult to locate in the brown and grey in the forest.  Why not make these things fluorescent green or yellow with blinking lights and reflectors?  Even the DJI Phantom is white making it stand out a bit.

That is what ticks me off the most. I never loaded the simm card as I was only going to practice some maneuvers in preparation to shoot video of a neighbor's house. I saw it crash on the screen...  heard myself yell "Oh F..k"....then I woke up :crying:

The Tile GPS arrived today and I believe this little device may be helpful if I loose my new Mavic. The downside is the distance is limited to a 100 feet radius.

If I can obtain a decent coordinance from the DJI app depicting last known location it should work. I feel if the Tile were mounted on the lost Mavic I would have had a good chance of finding it.

The Tile is a Tom Tom device and the app offers a nice satellite view of the location. I am going to fly tomorrow to test out the distance.

@Marty Backe will need something much more power to find his ass the next time he gets lost!:laughbounce2:

5 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

The Tile GPS arrived today and I believe this little device may be helpful if I loose my new Mavic. The downside is the distance is limited to a 100 feet radius.

If I can obtain a decent coordinance from the DJI app depicting last known location it should work. I feel if the Tile were mounted on the lost Mavic I would have had a good chance of finding it.

The Tile is a Tom Tom device and the app offers a nice satellite view of the location. I am going to fly tomorrow to test out the distance.

@Marty Backe will need something much more power to find his ass the next time he gets lost!:laughbounce2:

Why don't you buy that Garmin satellite device that you recommended to me and strap the sucker on the bottom of the Mavic. Range is unlimited. Of course with the added Garmin weight your Mavic will probably only have a range of 100 feet :D

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Why don't you buy that Garmin satellite device that you recommended to me and strap the sucker on the bottom of the Mavic. Range is unlimited. Of course with the added Garmin weight your Mavic will probably only have a range of 100 feet :D

I have my smart cap on tonight! :smartass: You just want me to buy the Garmin and once it is determined the extra weight crashed my new Mavic I will just hand it off to you!:laughbounce2:

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I have my smart cap on tonight! :smartass: You just want me to buy the Garmin and once it is determined the extra weight crashed my new Mavic I will just hand it off to you!:laughbounce2:

Damn! :D

8 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

TomTom? I was sure The Tile was a company on it's own?

By the way, TrackR could be a worthy option? Seems like trackR is louder (92dB) and have a user replaceable battery.

https://trackr.giddyup.deals/index-02/

2 hours ago, Vik's said:

TomTom? I was sure The Tile was a company on it's own?

By the way, TrackR could be a worthy option? Seems like trackR is louder (92dB) and have a user replaceable battery.

https://trackr.giddyup.deals/index-02/

Dang I read somewhere that TomTom was associated with the company:confused1: I just researched it and cannot find any association so I stand corrected!

I like your tracker and the idea you can replace the battery! I ordered one for the P4. Will be nice to test out each version. 

I decided to get creative and compare the last known sighting of Mavic shown on my IPhone with Google Maps on my laptop. Once I was able to sort out and compare the topography I placed the cursor over the area and Google gave me the coordinance. I will give it one more try. 

Maybe see if you can round up some helpers and do a grid search pattern including tree tops.  One person can only cover so much ground, but with many pairs of eyes (especially kids!) you never know what a group can end up spotting.  I'm still hoping you'll find it intact and working!

4 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe see if you can round up some helpers and do a grid search pattern including tree tops.  One person can only cover so much ground, but with many pairs of eyes (especially kids!) you never know what a group can end up spotting.  I'm still hoping you'll find it intact and working!

Great idea! Wanna help!:thumbup: Unfortunately the property I am on is not mine. He would not care if he saw me tripping over his dead branches but a group of strangers might be an issue. I looked again.., nothing. 

I was able to use the new Mavic and get some footage of a neighbor's home they are putting up for sale next week. It was a bit windy today and some of the footage shows it but the shoot was for free and they like it!:P

15 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Nice aerial footage!  Whoa I'd hate to shovel that driveway... man I'd be dead!  :shock2:

Thanks! They never had to worry as I would plow their drive, the one next door and mine. With new neighbors coming I am backing away from doing that volunteer work anymore. 

Epic soundtrack as well!  Too bad no closeup footage through a bedroom window... :whistling: wouldn't mind seeing what the inside looks like!  :innocent1:

Hey I found one more tracking device - it's called the Iota GPS tracker...

http://iotatracker.com/howitworks

I think it has a 12 block range, but if more nodes are present it extends it further.  Quite a cool little device.  Accuracy is to within 30 feet.

7 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Epic soundtrack as well!  Too bad no closeup footage through a bedroom window... :whistling: wouldn't mind seeing what the inside looks like!  :innocent1:

They were gone.:) if you ever get a drone Canadian women will need to be on High Alert!

The inside is beautiful. Suppose I could take the Passport inside and get some footage while knocking over some antiques.  :laughbounce2:

I am afraid they are asking to much. Our homes are built on engineered wood foundations. Never a cold basement and suppose to last longer than concrete or block foundations. The caveat is there needs to be proper drainage.

My home was built on a hill so we don't need a sump pump. Their home is on level ground and have 2 sump pumps that run constantly. They had to install a generator in case of power failure as their basement flooded in the past. 

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

They were gone.:) if you ever get a drone Canadian women will need to be on High Alert!

The inside is beautiful. Suppose I could take the Passport inside and get some footage while knocking over some antiques.  :laughbounce2:

I am afraid they are asking to much. Our homes are built on engineered wood foundations. Never a cold basement and suppose to last longer than concrete or block foundations. The caveat is there needs to be proper drainage.

My home was built on a hill so we don't need a sump pump. Their home is on level ground and have 2 sump pumps that run constantly. They had to install a generator in case of power failure as their basement flooded in the past. 

Beautiful home and area. As a Californian with comparatively postage size lots, I'm envious. The weather? Not so much. What is the approximate asking price for that house, so I can be further depressed ;) 

31 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Beautiful home and area. As a Californian with comparatively postage size lots, I'm envious. The weather? Not so much. What is the approximate asking price for that house, so I can be further depressed ;) 

Oh you will be depressed but again your beautiful territory has many more perks! I know  real estate is expensive in Calif compared to my area. I moved an employee from Downy Calif  to Toledo 20 years ago. He purchase 3Xs the house for the same price. The neighbor's house for sale is selling for $550K.  4000 sq feet.

:w00t2: Holy Toledo, that's cheap!   You can maybe get like a shack and tear it down for about $500,000 in Vancouver...

4816-200-street-langley-bc-608_262151723

http://globalnews.ca/news/3152492/homes-for-500k-in-14-canadian-cities/

Here's a video of my house... :whistling:  It only cost me $22 million USD ($30 million CAD)

I'm selling my old residence...

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Oh you will be depressed but again your beautiful territory has many more perks! I know  real estate is expensive in Calif compared to my area. I moved an employee from Downy Calif  to Toledo 20 years ago. He purchase 3Xs the house for the same price. The neighbor's house for sale is selling for $550K.  4000 sq feet.

Just kill me now! I truly thought that was going to be more. I'm not exaggerating by saying that house and lot would cost over $3 million in my neighborhood. My humble 2500 sqft 1954 craftsman ranch on 1/3 acre is valued in the ~$1 million range, which believe me I know is insane. It all comes down to beautiful year round weather and economic vitality.

I do enjoy the weather and great EUC venues, so I guess it's worth it :mellow:   But I'm still envious.

On 4/28/2017 at 5:21 PM, Rehab1 said:

Great idea! Wanna help!:thumbup: Unfortunately the property I am on is not mine. He would not care if he saw me tripping over his dead branches but a group of strangers might be an issue. I looked again.., nothing. 

I was able to use the new Mavic and get some footage of a neighbor's home they are putting up for sale next week. It was a bit windy today and some of the footage shows it but the shoot was for free and they like it!:P

Great video work, nice how you circled the house and backed away at one point.  Looked like you were about 150-200 feet high at points.  Great looking house,  what is that brown building with the parking lot, it looked like either a church or a supercollider installation.

Whoa, the lawn service for that house is probably 2-3 hundred a month.

The Mavic looks super stable to fly.  It looks kind of futuristic in the photo.

On ‎29‎.‎04‎.‎2017 at 0:21 AM, Rehab1 said:

Really great job! Something for me to learn. Still forgetting to press "rec" when flying :D

BTW, do you keep the gimbal lock on between the flights? Forgot to take it once already and got "gimbal overload"-message. Will create some "remove before flight" ribbon or something...

On ‎30‎.‎04‎.‎2017 at 1:35 AM, steve454 said:

It just magical to fly! Stunning results even in my amateur hands!

On 4/29/2017 at 7:35 PM, steve454 said:

Great video work, nice how you circled the house and backed away at one point.  Looked like you were about 150-200 feet high at points.  Great looking house,  what is that brown building with the parking lot, it looked like either a church or a supercollider installation.

Whoa, the lawn service for that house is probably 2-3 hundred a month.

Thanks! Our three houses are right next to each other and yes we have lots of lawn to cut. I do enjoy cutting grass as it is relaxing to me. They pay $125-150 per cutting so more like $500-$600/month.  Their house sites directly next to a church parking lot so they have planted trees to block it. That may be their Achilles heel when it comes to selling the house.

2 hours ago, Vik's said:

Really great job! Something for me to learn. Still forgetting to press "rec" when flying :D

BTW, do you keep the gimbal lock on between the flights? Forgot to take it once already and got "gimbal overload"-message. Will create some "remove before flight" ribbon or something...

The little red rec button is screaming at you!:shock2: Yes I do place the protective back on the gimbal after each flight. A red ribbon Velcroed to the cover would work.

8 hours ago, Planetpapi said:

Guys! Selling house is soo 90s. I'm selling this bridge ( shot with Phantom 3 Advanced)  for $22 millions. Any takers?

I would not buy that bridge for 3 million!  The add on span does not look good.  But the drone photography is great!  Great footage with the Phantom 3!  And the traffic is light also.  The light is coming from the right.

I don't know if it is called a span, but the metal framework above  the middle of the bridge, should be painted.  Otherwise the bridge looks good, except for the narrow lanes.  And it's too much bridge for what is needed to cross that narrow body of water.  US  and state government waste, again.

Sorry to complain about the bridge, I just hate overbuilt bridges.  The aerial photography is excellent.  You seem to have a lot of skill with aerial filming.  The Phantom has a great reputation for camera quality and flight stability.:cheers:

Archived