The New Mavic Drone was released today!

Rehab1

1 hour ago, HEC said:

Or at least the sticker with "If found please return to" ...

So when it crashes in that nuclear submarine base, the authorities know exactly who to prosecute perhaps? ?

P.S. forty years ago I was test flying a plane that the receiver had just been returned from repair, what I hadn't noticed was the lead weight had fallen out from under the receiver so I took off with it seriously tail heavy and it was a 2 channel radio, so no throttle control. After 10 minutes of fighting it and praying for the engine to stop whilst wondering why I had been stupid enough to fill the tank, I tired enough to lose control and it half looped out of the park into a house and I heard a horrible sound of breaking glass. I, of course,decided that running like hell might be a good idea until it occurred to me that my name and address was in it!

Sheepishly knocking on the front door I was invited in to the dinning room where a full evening meal was sitting on the table - along with my plane and most of the window!

Thankfully, he turned out to be a modeller himself and I got charged for, and very gratefully paid for the replacement glass only.

I'm not fully sure of the moral of this story but I learned not to fly so close to property in the future!

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the current Mavic owners @Rehab1 @Questor or anyone else - can you please try if 5GHz WiFi mode is working for you? Every single time I switch my Mavic to Mixed or 5GHz mode only I'll loose it and can't find it on any of my phones (indeed supporting 5GHz WiFi band) and need to reset the Mavic back to defaults :( Thank you in advance.

5 minutes ago, HEC said:

For the current Mavic owners @Rehab1 @Questor or anyone else - can you please try if 5GHz WiFi mode is working for you? Every single time I switch my Mavic to Mixed or 5GHz mode only I'll loose it and can't find it on any of my phones (indeed supporting 5GHz WiFi band) and need to reset the Mavic back to defaults :( Thank you in advance.

I will gladly take a look as I have not tried this setting. Please explain the benefits.

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I will gladly take a look as I have not tried this setting. Please explain the benefits.

Do you mean WiFi in general or just using the 5Ghz band? WiFi mode will let you to control the Mavic with only mobile phone without the remote though at reduced distance and indeed with limited options. 5GHz band in general is better as it's still less crowded in most areas so it suffers less interferences and it usually also have a bit better range. Thanks in advance for checking this for me. In case you'll "loose" your WiFi connection to Mavic to reset it just press and hold the Pair button on the Mavic (under the micro-SD cover left of the mode switch (left= WiFi / right=RC). SSID and default password are on sticker on the right front arm and also under battery. Once connected via WiFi from the DJI GO app you can under settings change the SSID, password and band. First two works fine but the moment I touch the band settings the WiFi is gone! :( 

38 minutes ago, HEC said:

Do you mean WiFi in general or just using the 5Ghz band?

No, using the 5Ghz. So far I have been happy with the DJI controller especially when using it with the Litchi app. Great for plotting way points. So many different camera settings. This is where I lack knowledge. YouTube has been a huge asset!

15 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Litchi app.

Would you mind sharing benefits of Litchi over default Mavic features? Doesn't seem  to bring much extra comparing those two ...

One more question - is it possible to change the Photo resolution? All I can find is the JPEG / RAW settings ...

2 hours ago, HEC said:

Would you mind sharing benefits of Litchi over default Mavic features? Doesn't seem  to bring much extra comparing those two ...

One more question - is it possible to change the Photo resolution? All I can find is the JPEG / RAW settings ...

Litchi lets you easily program waypoints on your live screen, change elevations and speeds that transition smoothly throughout flight and program into the flight plan the exact degrees of the radius for each waypoint turn. Those programming features might be present in the Mavic through a combination of programming techniques  but Litchi is so user friendly. Not sure about the photo resolution. If you find out about some of these idiosyncratic features please let me know. Unfortunately I have not had time to play with it very much over the past week as the winds have been horrible for flying!

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:02 PM, Rehab1 said:

Litchi lets you easily program waypoints on your live screen, change elevations and speeds that transition smoothly throughout flight and program into the flight plan the exact degrees of the radius for each waypoint turn. Those programming features might be present in the Mavic through a combination of programming techniques  but Litchi is so user friendly.

So basically same stuff you can program using ground station. Any luck testing the 5Ghz WiFi? I just want to have some input from other users before chasing DJI with the "fault" ...

On 12/1/2016 at 5:12 AM, HEC said:

So basically same stuff you can program using ground station. Any luck testing the 5Ghz WiFi? I just want to have some input from other users before chasing DJI with the "fault" ...

Sorry buddy but I have not flown in a week so I have not been able to conduct any testing. Have you recorded any interesting video yet? 

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:10 AM, Rehab1 said:

Sorry buddy but I have not flown in a week so I have not been able to conduct any testing. Have you recorded any interesting video yet? 

Not really, too cold, rainy, dark and windy to play with my latest gizmos (that includes also new Inmotion P1) ... :( 

13 hours ago, HEC said:

Not really, too cold, rainy, dark and windy to play with my latest gizmos (that includes also new Inmotion P1) ... :( 

The P1 looks awesome and light weight! I like how it collapses down.  Yes this weather gives me the blues!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, steve454 said:

@Rehab1 that's hilarious, a Roomba moving heliport!  Whatever you do, don't hit the return to home button on the controller indoors, I guess you already know the drone will rise above tree level before it heads back:P

Unfortunately my wife did not find it humorous! Heck..she gets mad at me for taking her steak knives outside to dig up weeds! :furious:

4 minutes ago, HEC said:

HA HA! I was doing exactly the same with Roomba! :D 

Hopefully your wife is more understanding!:D Share some video!

54 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Wow that is nice footage up there!  I'd be afraid of flying at night since you can't see the drone in the sky?  Or are there blinky lights on it so you can still spot it?  What's the range like?  Is the RF control pretty reliable?

Thanks! Still learning. Yes it does have lights and being it was a clear night it allowed me to keep track of the little guy. As far as the range they state 4 miles but that would be stupid to even test. There is a video of a guy in Florida that followed a cruise ship out to sea for the full range but he also had clear line of sight in his favor with no pedestrians around. The RF is wonderful so far. Don't jinx me:)

39 minutes ago, Henrik Olsen said:

@HEC have you ordered a Mavic?

Yes, got it few weeks back but due to unfavourable weather I've not flown much outside yet ... Can bring it to some of the local meetings though (as long as it will be in some less crowded areas).

1 hour ago, HEC said:

Yes, got it few weeks back but due to unfavourable weather I've not flown much outside yet ... Can bring it to some of the local meetings though (as long as it will be in some less crowded areas).

It is cold here. I am ordering a transmitter mitt and rechargeable hand warmer to place inside the mitt. Researching about flying in cold weather they say to keep the controller and iphone/ pad warm along with the drone batteries.

IMG_3956.JPG

Archived