King Song 18A stable and fast wheel

Raptor

As a Star Wars movie machinery in today's reality :D

:) For fast driving, I like sitting in this wheel ! Then he seems very stable .
 I did not great here though wery fast because I've already felt the functioning of the speed limiter !
To limiters fast accelerating throws a very very strongly back :o !!! It may even throw you away ! 
I am, however,very very pleased with this wheel ! 

Here a small video : https://youtu.be/cqPki7qFuLk

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Raptor said:

This is the real result of KS18A wheel. Here you see a this wheel dyno test under load :

King Song 18a 1200W 1360Wh Dyno test.jpeg

i do no understand t this graphs!

why they end on 23,6 kmh..when the wheel can go near 40kmh?

total useless for me that way....

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

i do no understand t this graphs!

why they end on 23,6 kmh..when the wheel can go near 40kmh?

total useless for me that way....

The test is based on the maximum capacity of the largest permanent power ( MSuper v3 it is even lower. Only 18kmh ) ! Be seen that the top of the curve in the maximum speed, they can withstand the maxloads .That 40 km h smooth surface road is not really a max load ! At this 42kmh, he me 92kg yet pedals by raising the air throw. Wheel did it with very great force and four times . Did not feel the force weakening for 40kmh ! However, the ECM will limit ourselves Strongly !

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

sorrry :-) perhaps i am stupid..

what means "maximum capacity of largest permanent power"?

still this graph do explain nothingg to me :-(

These batteries constantly do not hold higher the speed ,if is for max constant load ! Suffer a lot lot more if the load is short-term . Constant fast speed driving up the hill this is like for  this situation   .  ( Sorry my google translation ! write well only in Estonian )

26 minutes ago, checho said:

Raptor, where did you get the ks18a dyno tested? How much did the test cost?

@Raptorposted the link in another thread here - he got it from the russion forum http://electrotransport.ru/ussr/index.php?topic=40242.msg929786#msg929786

When i read the thread using the google translation somewhere was written 2000 Rubels. But i did not get the content - this amount could have been the hourly wage of a worker, one test, all test, the material costs of a frame or something totally unrelated...

15 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

sorrry :-) perhaps i am stupid..

what means "maximum capacity of largest permanent power"?

still this graph do explain nothingg to me :-(

I tried to summarize what i understood from reading the russion thread about this test in this post:

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/5541-msuper-v3-top-speed-crash-wrecked-shell/?do=findComment&comment=64787

"I tried to read and understand how the chart @Raptor posted was made. (google translate of a russion forum needs much fanstasy and creativity to understand...;( )

The graph was created by accelerating a ?1 ton? barrel by the wheel. From the acceleration of this barrel the computer calculates power and torque over the speed. The wheel was "pitched" forward to accelerate this barrel. Some "frame" helped holding the wheel in position. The initial acceleration (something like up to ~10 km/h) was not the maximum the wheels could "deliver", since quite some fuses burned/overpower warnings where given.

I don't know exactly what happened after the max power was reached - either the "dynamometer" stopped, the tester stopped accelecating/testing or the wheel cut-off?

Anyway - it was not a measurement of the power/torque over speed but only the max power the wheel could produce - and this is not limited by the motor but by the electronics. (quite sure but still imho;) ) This is imho also shown by the "undulating nature" of the graph - this could result from the regulating mechanisms in the firmware. Or could also be from the "soft" tires coupling the wheel with the barrel - or maybe a combiation of both?

This max power measurement has (as good as) nothing to do with the torque capabilities when riding at around 40/45 km/h."

Maybe @Raptorcould confirm the content or point out something i missed/got wrong? And many thanks @Raptorto link here this thread!

Here a youtube video from this russian forum of the person perfoming the tests - maybe video is worth a thousand words as a picture ;)

On 10/12/2016 at 6:53 AM, Chriull said:

Here a youtube video from this russian forum of the person perfoming the tests - maybe video is worth a thousand words as a picture ;)

This is great that someone has carried out some Dyno tests! 

At least in this first stab, this data doesn't necessarily predict the performance qualities that would make one brand/variant of a Wheel safer or better than another. The analogous operating assumptions of these tests would be a fully-charged Wheel ramping up speed on a particular gradient until failure, which is a significant limitation of an inertia type Dyno. The results, are pretty much what one would expect, the number of parallel packs are the determinate factor to max power output.

Ideally the Dyno would be a programmable with a hysteresis electronic brake, where the resistance levels can be set to specific value. In this way you capture many of the scenarios that are important to most Riders, like the available torque at a specific RPM/speed, or the voltage drop off under a sustained load. 

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjSHEzV3JmR

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjRTlSbzFoT

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

This is great that someone has carried out some Dyno tests! 

At least in this first stab, this data doesn't necessarily predict the performance qualities that would make one brand/variant of a Wheel safer or better than another. The analogous operating assumptions of these tests would be a fully-charged Wheel ramping up speed on a particular gradient until failure, which is a significant limitation of an inertia type Dyno. The results, are pretty much what one would expect, the number of parallel packs are the determinate factor to max power output.

Ideally the Dyno would be a programmable with a hysteresis electronic brake, where the resistance levels can be set to specific value. In this way you capture many of the scenarios that are important to most Riders, like the available torque at a specific RPM/speed, or the voltage drop off under a sustained load. 

Imho the inertia of the roll used for this test was a bit too much - so they had probs with some wheels starting up. but there are smaller dyno rigs for 3-5 HP motorcycles or as you wrote programmable dynos. Just the "sustained 900W load-test" as upper limit as in your table shown would be not enough for nowaday wheels!

Also the brake test would be extremely interesting! After all the reports here of broken wheels i still try to avoid any emergency braking - by this imho increasing my overal safety greatly ;). But sometimes the moment will come and i'd like to know if my wheel has the capability to perform this emergency braking or it will result more in a emergency breaking...;(

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2016 at 8:52 AM, Raptor said:

King Song KS18 a very very steep climb up the hill

Wow, that is very impressive! I consider my IPS 121 and 191 wheels to be excellent hill climbers, but I am pretty sure they could not do this!

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if no match is displayed on this topic, but ...

KS 18 power, I am satisfied, but a small lack of lighting pedals! I am groping in the dark a few times: D. We are now in the dark time of the year, already 16 o'clock, without light, such as at night.

Does anyone know where the KS 18A (top of PCB unit) PCB, USB output (I need 5V, LED strip). Because I found the 5V LED

( http://www.banggood.com/Waterproof-5050-USB-Black-TV-PC-Background-RGB-LED-Strip-Light-Xmas-Decor-Remote-DC5V-p- 1094959.html? rmmds = myorder  )  I want to make the lighting pedals because I do not see in the dark time of the year in which the pedals. But also do not want unsightly wires outside the body of the wheel! whether in the photos to see the USB output wires?   

14 hours ago, Raptor said:

I also made styles suitable for parking support and now for King Song KS 18a my extras complete and assembled

That looks great! I love the idea of a parking stand integrated with the trolley handle. Also, it looks very stylish, unlike many trolley handles. Some add-on trolley handles spoil the appearance of the wheel, but this one really blends with the EUC shell.

• 1 month later...

I got to know from where the USB power supply . 5V with a 16pin connector. These are the first two pin,from the direction of the  capacitors. I checked the tester and cables go straight to USB  ! So i did the lighting for pedals (  Led strips ampere is 0,2A  x 2 ) . In addition to I changed with seat to a little more for to normal use, etc. :)   

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2017 at 2:43 AM, Raptor said:

I got to know from where the USB power supply . 5V with a 16pin connector. These are the first two pin,from the direction of the  capacitors. I checked the tester and cables go straight to USB  ! So i did the lighting for pedals (  Led strips ampere is 0,2A  x 2 ) . In addition to I changed with seat to a little more for to normal use, etc. :)   

Sure wish you lived near the Los Angeles area.  I'd hire you to add those mods to my KS18; absolutely amazing mod. 

Allen

On 10/19/2016 at 5:52 AM, Raptor said:

Unfortunately not my video !!! I found this on the Internet. I read Russian forum,and I found this video :

King Song KS18 a very very steep climb up the hill  : 

When I saw this video posting I recognized that hill.It is in Shenzhen about a mile behind the King Song facility.When I visited their facilty in Oct '16 the King Song people put me on the new 1200w 18A to test it with a 200lb rider and we (including the kid in the video) rode around these hills.He made it up no problem but it would only carry me half way up that hill.It is still very good at hill climbing.:thumbup:

11 hours ago, jrkline said:

When I saw this video posting I recognized that hill.It is in Shenzhen about a mile behind the King Song facility.When I visited their facilty in Oct '16 the King Song people put me on the new 1200w 18A to test it with a 200lb rider and we (including the kid in the video) rode around these hills.He made it up no problem but it would only carry me half way up that hill.It is still very good at hill climbing.:thumbup:

With you riding it up that hill, did it just stop half way up or did it make some sort of signal half way up?

Just wondering because there's a rather long hill by where I live, not as steep, but longer.  It would nice to know what to expect if I should encounter the "get off me human, you weigh too much" problem going up the long hill by where I live.  (I'm 6ft tall and weigh about 192lbs.)

Allen

10 hours ago, abinder3 said:

With you riding it up that hill, did it just stop half way up or did it make some sort of signal half way up?

Just wondering because there's a rather long hill by where I live, not as steep, but longer.  It would nice to know what to expect if I should encounter the "get off me human, you weigh too much" problem going up the long hill by where I live.  (I'm 6ft tall and weigh about 192lbs.)

Allen

No signal but just lost momentum and didn't have any power left.If you want to test your wheel,bring it to the Griffith Park ride.There are similiar hills there.

Archived