ACM enhanced, new front- and backlight

First:

Changed the headlight SMD with about 80 Lumen(right) to 300 Lumen(left) output. The new one is the same like the SMD from Cateye Volt300. Forgot to make pictures before and after. Unfortunately... But it's really bright right now :)

Now I just hope the heat dissipation works well enough :unsure:

SMD.jpg

Second:

Add some SMD to the backlight. Second picture is the original LED strip. Third pic with the modification.

LED stripe.jpgbacklight new.jpg

Could you please share little bit more details about the headlight mod - do you have problems with heat dissipation from higher power LED? Any influence on the battery life / range of the wheel? I would also appreciate if you could share the link to the exact module that you used.

21 hours ago, xebeche said:

Could you please share little bit more details about the headlight mod - do you have problems with heat dissipation from higher power LED? Any influence on the battery life / range of the wheel? I would also appreciate if you could share the link to the exact module that you used.

No problems with the heat dissipation right now.

Influence on the battery life? Really? I think if you carry lot of coins in your pocket will have more influence ;) I can't see or feel any influence.

My SMD was the one out of my "old" cateye volt 300.

8 hours ago, OliverH said:

I'll follow the progress and more detailed description here also. Eliminating this psychedelic running light in the back would be nice. 

Hi! Also das Blinklicht Dings hab ich ja noch drin. Hab auch noch nicht probiert das zu wechseln. Vll nächstes WE mal schauen ob ich das auch ganz in rot mache. Aber blinken wir es dann trotzdem. Man könnte es höchsten ganz raus nehmen und durch Dauerlicht ersetzen. Dann fehlt dir aber die Akkuanzeige und die Bremslichtfunktion.

3 hours ago, man-on(e)-wheel said:

Hi! Also das Blinklicht Dings hab ich ja noch drin. Hab auch noch nicht probiert das zu wechseln. Vll nächstes WE mal schauen ob ich das auch ganz in rot mache. Aber blinken wir es dann trotzdem. Man könnte es höchsten ganz raus nehmen und durch Dauerlicht ersetzen. Dann fehlt dir aber die Akkuanzeige und die Bremslichtfunktion.

Ich möchte nur das Buntlicht/ Lauflicht weg haben. Bin gespannt was du hin bekommst.

On 2.10.2016 at 4:08 PM, xebeche said:

http://www.leds.de/High-Power-LEDs/Cree-High-Power-LEDs/

http://www.led1.de/shop/highpower-leds/samsung-power-leds/samsung-3535-ceramic-power-led-auf-starplatine-weiss-5000k-534-lumen-lh351b-rt.html

You can use stuff like this. In addition with a resistor and a lens. 

On 10/2/2016 at 5:05 AM, man-on(e)-wheel said:

Today I tried to replace the lateral LED by EL-film. In principle this is possible, but the light of the film is much too weak to look good.

Next modification is the replacement of the lateral LED with only four lights each...

@man-on(e)-wheel If you haven't seen them already, you might want to look into COB LEDs (running lights) as they are very bright come in several colors. They are also available in flexible form to follow contours of where you want to mount them and other shapes too (I've been considering them for my own project).

On ebay, you can just search for "COB LED", "COB LED Running Light" or "COB LED Flexible"

Something like this:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/2x-12V-LED-COB-Auto-Car-Driving-Daytime-Running-Light-DRL-Fog-Lamp-/371570003595?hash=item56834c4e8b:g:jfIAAOSwZ8ZW3pDo

or this:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/2-x-26cm-COB-Flexible-Silicone-LED-Car-White-Daytime-Running-Lights-IP67-Waterpr-/401044291243?hash=item5d601a3eab:g:DugAAOSwx-9WxG98

Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 10.58.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 11.08.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 11.08.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 11.09.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 11.09.24 PM.png

12 hours ago, WheelRunner said:

@man-on(e)-wheel If you haven't seen them already, you might want to look into COB LEDs (running lights) as they are very bright come in several colors. They are also available in flexible form to follow contours of where you want to mount them and other shapes too (I've been considering them for my own project).

On ebay, you can just search for "COB LED", "COB LED Running Light" or "COB LED Flexible"

Something like this:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/2x-12V-LED-COB-Auto-Car-Driving-Daytime-Running-Light-DRL-Fog-Lamp-/371570003595?hash=item56834c4e8b:g:jfIAAOSwZ8ZW3pDo

or this:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/2-x-26cm-COB-Flexible-Silicone-LED-Car-White-Daytime-Running-Lights-IP67-Waterpr-/401044291243?hash=item5d601a3eab:g:DugAAOSwx-9WxG98

Looks interesting! But 12 volt isn't really good. Don't want to rebuild the hole wheel ;)

Maybe I'll try ^^

• 4 weeks later...

The last post regarding the 534 lumen version is quite a while ago. It's there any news on this? Did anybody really try it? Yesterday I had a short trip in the dark and the original headlight is truly not bright enough for driving on roads without any streetlights whatsoever... I'm curious to see how you are doing with the different opportunities...? 

• 8 months later...

Some improvements...

Some other people told me, my front light is to bright and fading them. It's because of the bright-white Color and my 7° horizontal calibration. That's why I designed and printed a thing to prevent fading.

Also made a thing that holds the additional LED-stripes in my rear light better in place.

$RDKY53N.JPG

$R1NW9Y1.JPG

• 11 months later...
On 10/31/2016 at 8:35 PM, EUC-Lover said:

The last post regarding the 534 lumen version is quite a while ago. It's there any news on this? Did anybody really try it? Yesterday I had a short trip in the dark and the original headlight is truly not bright enough for driving on roads without any streetlights whatsoever... I'm curious to see how you are doing with the different opportunities...? 

I assume no point in answer years later but just in case anyone still thinking about it, please forget about trying to drive any led's to maximum capacity it will surely kill it much, much earlier on, efficiency sucks and you just creating way too much heat that need to be dissipated (yes absolutely some form of cooling) when what you want are photons illuminating the road ahead. The way to go is up, more powerful diodes and driving them softer instead to boost efficiency as far as possible within reasonable limits of course, cannot have a wall of lights in front of the wheel. ?

Yes a COB is different cause it consist out of many small diodes, it just means: Chip On board and a more efficient way to clump together a cluster of diodes with minimal losses, can lead away heat well if well designed via heat sink on back side whether that substrate be ceramics or alu etc.. But like with anything else in life, stay away from chasing numbers posted by websites selling them, there's some decent ones, some terrible ones and of course some fantastic COB's like Cree's CXB series, Citizen's CLU etc and still improving by the generation.

The stripes is not super efficient at throwing photons far ahead of you, they work well to make you visible though if that's the point of it, otherwise you need to look at reflectors, collamitors. Should be ways to get more light in the front, if knowing the diameter and power to the light something similar to a flashlight head of high quality could do it, similar to these: https://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10009098/1859302-510-cree-xm-l2-t6-3-mode-600-lumen-cool-white-led

Archived