WheelLog for Inmotion - Development

JumpMaster

13 minutes ago, JumpMaster said:

No data received from the wheel though. Might have to try some of the other characteristics before trying to decode that app another way.

I'll be here for a while so just ask if anything else will be ready for the testing ;) 

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@HEC

Yep there's no improvement there. I'm listening to the right characteristic now but it's not sending data.  From looking at the decompiled app it sends a request for data.  It looks like this is sent every 500ms. Does the app appear to update speed/current/etc twice a second?

It's very hard to decipher the decompiled app. They've obscured the code so a nicely named function like 'InitialiseWheel()' is now called a(). A variable called 'isWheelConnected' is now called a. The next variable/function is b and so on.  As the app is so large and obscured the decompilers don't do a great job. I've used two different decompilers and have to look between both sets of code to figure out what's correct.

I've even made a Bluetooth LE server using the services and characteristics from your wheel but the InMotion app isn't fooled by it. I think that must be something to do with the password.

I'll get there!

36 minutes ago, JumpMaster said:

@HEC

Yep there's no improvement there. I'm listening to the right characteristic now but it's not sending data.  From looking at the decompiled app it sends a request for data.  It looks like this is sent every 500ms. Does the app appear to update speed/current/etc twice a second?

Currently the app shows only speed, board temperature, battery percentage, trip and total distance. And it will not display trip distance if the wheel is not connected to the app before ride so it might be that this value is not even sent by wheel but rather calculated from total millage figure instead. The refresh rate seems pretty low - could be about 2 Hz.

The app itself is massive download and apart of the SCV / EUC section it contains lot of other stuff like social section, discovery section (with events, clubs, rankings a route recordings) as well as Me section for your own profile, list of registered vehicles (not only EUCs but all IM products) and trophies, coins, medals and so on so it's no wonder it's a mess to decompile ...

In the SCV section you can control (apart of the configuration where you set the lights, sounds button function and speed limits) connect / discontent (app doesn't connect automatically), switch on / off head light and even turn of the EUC itself. There is also option to run the diagnostic of the wheel. The latest app version is v6.1.0 (released on the day the V8 arrived).

I don't know if you've noticed (or even installed the app) but there are actually two apps in one. The main one with all features and also the notification bar "applet" (don't know the correct name tor for that?) which starts up together with the main up but remains active even after main app is closed / exited. It has a small red "I" in the left corner of the notification bar and when you pull down the bar it has four circles / buttons there to connect to the wheel, switch on / off head light, power off the wheel and to display battery level with small cross on the right to close it. This can be closed / exited even when main app is running. Maybe this would be a good start to poke around as it's much smaller with only minimum option included? I believe the process is called com.inmotion.ble

Finally I've changed the password form default "000000" to my own but indeed I can reset it back if you'd need to send password by app though I don't think that's the case here.

1 hour ago, JumpMaster said:

@HEC

I'm pretty excited about this attempt...

Seems same ... it connects and after 10 seconds get disconnected again. I've also killed all IM background services on the phone just in case the original app is a bit possessive but no difference. Maybe it needs constant pooling otherwise it drops connection? I can also try to revert password back to "000000" but I doubt it would make any difference.

V8Ean.txt

So - I've tried again - this time with app connected - some "noise" on the line ;)

So first official app (either of them - full or notification bar one) needs to be disconnected so KEVTEST can locate and connect to the V8. After the 10s timeout when KEVTEST disconnects I'll connect via official app (again either of them) then KEVTEST reconnects automatically and stay connected as long as official app is running and connected. Official app is unable to connected to the wheel while KEVTEST is connected. Wheel was stationary only powered on during this test.

So it seems like the official app is using some kind of "keep alive" / handshake to keep the wheel connected to mobile ... let me know @JumpMaster if you'll figure out anything from this log or if you want more with wheel moving and so on.

V8Fan.txt

@HEC

Thanks for that test. At least I know I'm listening to the right characteristic.  Like you said it could be a 10 second timeout or that I don't send the passcode within 10 seconds. I'm having trouble finding anything in the app mentioning a passcode but I'll keep looking.

I've changed the characteristic I'm sending data to in this version. It seems there's a dedicated characteristic for writing data but just in case I'm wrong this will send the data to the same characteristic that reads the data.  This is how it works on KingSong and Gotway but I don't think they put as much thought into it as Inmotion has.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_qIN0Xd80hCUmhJUlhJVU5UTzA/view?usp=sharing

33 minutes ago, JumpMaster said:

@HEC

That's for that test. At least I know I'm listening to the right characteristic.  Like you said it could be a 10 second timeout or that I don't send the passcode within 10 seconds. I'm having trouble finding anything in the app mentioning a passcode but I'll keep looking.

Here we go. I don't think it's a PIN but rather some "keep alive" protocol being used. The moment I click disconnect on official app (notification bar version) it drops the connection for KEVTEST as well. Wheel was again stationary only during test.

V8Gan.txt

@HEC

That last test was with both apps open?  What happens if you only connect using KEVTEST?  That random data at the bottom of the file is good but I want it to be caused by KEVTEST.  At the moment I only send the request for data once after which it's possible the keep-alive times out.  Hopefully as it makes 1 request it should receive 1 reply.

8 minutes ago, JumpMaster said:

@HEC

That last test was with both apps open?  What happens if you only connect using KEVTEST?  That random data at the bottom of the file is good but I want it to be caused by KEVTEST.

Yes the procedure is the same as before:

1. Connect via KEVTEST while official app is disconnected (but running)

2. Connection drops after 10 seconds

3. Connect via official app -> KEVTEST reconnects

4. Disconnect official app and KEVTEST drops connection right away as well.

@HEC

I've set the app to send the command every 500ms as per the original app. Let me know if it still drops the connection.  Test it without having the official app open if possible.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_qIN0Xd80hCMDZjOXJ0ZWViWG8/view?usp=sharing

I've also emailed info@invmotionsvc so hopefully they may be willing to help.

44 minutes ago, JumpMaster said:

@HEC

I've set the app to send the command every 500ms as per the original app. Let me know if it still drops the connection.  Test it without having the official app open if possible.

Unfortunately the moment the app connects to the V8 it displays the error that KEVTEST has stopped (same as earlier). Original IM apps are stopped.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I supose I am repeating data that yopu already know but from the decompileng seems that :

Subscribing characteristic is Service FFE0 Characteristic FFE4 but it may fallback to other ones if they don't exist

Write characteristic is Service FFE5 Characteristic FFE9 but alñso may fallback to others.

• 1 month later...

Archived