ACM 16 Dumps Me When Starting On An Incline

Three times now my ACM 16 V2 has dumped me when mounting the wheel.

In all three cases the wheel has been on and balancing. When I mounted it to start riding, it immediated rotated forward and dumped me on the ground. The one common element for all three occurances is that I was on an incline (nothing dramatic).

Perhaps I leaned forward too much, although I don't think so. Maybe there is insufficient torque available when starting on an incline? It's a rare event (3 times out of 250 miles of ride time), but I'm a little cautious now when on a hill. Once moving forward I've never had any problems.

This post is a FYI. But I'm also wondering if others have experienced this.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

In all three cases the wheel has been on and balancing. When I mounted it to start riding, it immediated rotated forward and dumped me on the ground. The one common element for all three occurances is that I was on an incline (nothing dramatic).

Perhaps I leaned forward too much, although I don't think so. Maybe there is insufficient torque available when starting on an incline? It's a rare event (3 times out of 250 miles of ride time), but I'm a little cautious now when on a hill. Once moving forward I've never had any problems.

i experienced that with my v3...also....has nothing to do with incline, believe me :-)

Just wait 5 seconds longer before you start after powering it up! KS had this "fold after powering up" also before firmware 1.20....

Then they got it away!

dont start riding until at  least 5 or 10 seconds are over! best is to move EUC by hand forth and back sometimes...

i am sure the fault is reproduceable...power on/up..jump on it very fast..buuum!

15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

that doesn't sound right at all

please take care of yourself

3 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

i experienced that with my v3...also....has nothing to do with incline, believe me :-)

Just wait 5 seconds longer before you start after powering it up! KS had this "fold after powering up" also before firmware 1.20....

Then they got it away!

dont start riding until at  least 5 or 10 seconds are over! best is to move EUC by hand forth and back sometimes...

i am sure the fault is reproduceable...power on/up..jump on it very fast..buuum!

The thing is, in all three cases I had already been riding. Just situations where I paused for a bit and then started riding again. So in my case it has nothing to do with turning on the wheel.

4 hours ago, JoyRide said:

I have now over 100 km on my ACM and have never experienced that. But will try that incline start somewhere to see what happens and will come back. 

try to power it on...and drive on it after the first 2 or 3 seconds...but pay attention :-)

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 5:43 PM, Greg Spalding said:

that doesn't sound right at all

I get on my IPS 121 and 191 all the time on inclines, and it's fine. The behavior described by Marty is unacceptable and seems to reflect insufficient testing by Gotway prior to product release.

2 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

I get on my IPS 121 and 191 all the time on inclines, and it's fine. The behavior described by Marty is unacceptable and seems to reflect insufficient testing by Gotway prior to product release.

if that is the case..... add it to the list of "CONCERNS" about this company

... as we've said, it's like we are trying to settle the WILD, WILD WEST

This is exactly what I was having with my ACM V1 - They can fix it with a firmware update but unfortunately we would have to send our EUC's back to our distributor for them to flash it because we don't have the ability :S

5 hours ago, TremF said:

This is exactly what I was having with my ACM V1 - They can fix it with a firmware update but unfortunately we would have to send our EUC's back to our distributor for them to flash it because we don't have the ability :S

hmmmm

i don't like to hear that

27 minutes ago, Tishawn Fahie said:

wait we don't have the abillity to update the firmware to our own wheel?

Nope..not on Gotways! KS, Ninebot and Inmotion can do this...but not Gotway.

I have to say, i do not have this incline prob on my V3!

28 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Nope..not on Gotways! KS, Ninebot and Inmotion can do this...but not Gotway.

I have to say, i do not have this incline prob on my V3!

isn't that something?

i had NO idea Gotway didn't allow firmware updates via their app.

why on earth would THAT be?

26 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

isn't that something?

i had NO idea Gotway didn't allow firmware updates via their app.

why on earth would THAT be?

It's not about not "allowing it" - it's more about lack of resources to develop the updateable FW or even at least half decent mobile apps ... Most of the current EUC manufacturers including GW are ran more like Mom's & Pop's  shops than real company with all departments fully staffed with qualified personnel. You can see the "assembly lines" are just a few shelf in some crappy old warehouse, minimum or none QA, only basic own development, using cheap sub-par parts originally intended for another purpose and so on :( If GW can't get something simple like the cover screws right I'd not expect them (nor want) to venture into for them unexplored waters of FW updates ;) 

Your point is surely well taken

to make some great stuff though

but your comments about them not being able to get something simple like the covers for screws makes me wonder why anyone would want to travel 40 km/h on one of their wheels without fear that something catastrophic would occur, quite frankly

9 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

but your comments about them not being able to get something simple like the covers for screws makes me wonder why anyone would want to travel 40 km/h on one of their wheels without fear that something catastrophic would occur, quite frankly

That's exactly my point but I would not ride ANY wheel at 40 Km/h - 30 is more than enough as top speed with "safe" cruise speed around 25 - 26 Km/h max. It's nice that GW is trying to make so many "firsts" in area of EUCs but I personally feel that they're not big and most of all advanced enough to be a (safe) leader in such market. They'll indeed despite all the shortcomings still find their semi-niche market between experienced EUC enthusiasts but I'd really hesitate to recommend their wheels to normal consumers or newcomers to EUC hobby / commute.

8 minutes ago, HEC said:

That's exactly my point but I would not ride ANY wheel at 40 Km/h - 30 is more than enough as top speed with "safe" cruise speed around 25 - 26 Km/h max. It's nice that GW is trying to make so many "firsts" in area of EUCs but I personally feel that they're not big and most of all advanced enough to be a (safe) leader in such market. They'll indeed despite all the shortcomings still find their semi-niche market between experienced EUC enthusiasts but I'd really hesitate to recommend their wheels to normal consumers or newcomers to EUC hobby / commute.

Geez I kinda wish I knew all of this before ordering an ACM... Coming from a Ninebot P while i've never had issues with it - Its was well documented at some point to fail under pressure, I never felt safe on it and aways kept my Iron Man suite . Safe guard up just incase, especially cruising around 18 mph durring my commute every morning to work.

I ordered an ACM really admiring the speed / distance  per charge as there are times when I would like to go faster and farther - limitations hindering (to me) the Ninebot Lines..

No firmware updates installed by users & now incline issues. Once received I will ride very cautiously and stay in bike lanes, at least until I know my wheel is safe. There are people who swear by Gotway and has never had any issues...

Very weird indeed, My question is why give the power to update the firmware to the distributor.... Your telling me if there's a fix for an issue I gotta ship my wheel to china?? wow..

8 hours ago, TremF said:

Didn't you receive the new V2 mainboard? A guy in my riding crew here got a new V2 board with new corresponding motor.

22 minutes ago, HEC said:

I am very appreciative for your words of wisdom here

I'm sure they have the best intentions (at least I hope they do :huh:). I wonder if we would all feel better about them If Jason became involved in distributing their products and could stand behind them

7 minutes ago, Tishawn Fahie said:

Geez I kinda wish I knew all of this before ordering an ACM... Coming from a Ninebot P while i've never had issues with it - Its was well documented at some point to fail under pressure, I never felt safe on it and aways kept my Iron Man suite . Safe guard up just incase, especially cruising around 18 mph durring my commute every morning to work.

I ordered an ACM really admiring the speed / distance  per charge as there are times when I would like to go faster and farther - limitations hindering (to me) the Ninebot Lines..

No firmware updates installed by users & now incline issues. Once received I will ride very cautiously and stay in bike lanes, at least until I know my wheel is safe. There are people who swear by Gotway and has never had any issues...

Very weird indeed, My question is why give the power to update the firmware to the distributor.... Your telling me if there's a fix for an issue I gotta ship my wheel to china?? wow..

Or change the board. The firmware is on the board. Gotway doesn't offer firmware updates by App right now. They offer the distributors flash devices to install new firmware.

Just now, OliverH said:

Or change the board. The firmware is on the board. Gotway doesn't offer firmware updates by App right now. They offer the distributors flash devices to install new firmware.

Is it possible they could offer them in the future or is that functionality not even a part of their circuitry?

38 minutes ago, HEC said:

Today i heard the 1600wh MSuper to have a max Speed of over 60kmh....

Honestly? I think this is absolute ridiculous! It for sure means it will not be so Long that we have the first death by EUC driving and crashing on high Speed...

I agree that highest Speed AND Feeling secure is about 32 kmh max with cruising best at about 27kmh! What i do like is to have the power reserves, so that i know that riding at 32kmh is not riding on a razor blade :-)

@Greg Spalding Take a look into the marvelous clean production halls of Gotway:

17 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Honestly? I think this is absolute ridiculous! It for sure means it will not be so Long that we have the first death by EUC driving and crashing on high Speed...

I agree that highest Speed AND Feeling secure is about 32 kmh max with cruising best at about 27kmh! What i do like is to have the power reserves, so that i know that riding at 32kmh is not riding on a razor blade :-)

Exactly my sentiment! I'd rather have MSuper 84V with the half (or let's better say 60 - 65%) of it's max speed but double the torque ..

6 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

@Greg Spalding Take a look into the marvelous clean production halls of Gotway:

wow after watching - I can only imagine how much money Gotway is making.....there's a guy right there literally putting everything together... I wonder why the battery is covered?

Good Lord

so.... We will never have a higher torque product from them again

I hope there was some exaggerated hyperbole when it came to that 60 km/h because that is ridiculous

it'll be 10 minutes for 100% of EUCs will be outlawed everywhere on earth the first time someone dies

kind of makes you never want to buy another product from that company again... Because they don't care about repeat customers

by the way, I have ridden just less than 250,000 miles on a motorcycle over the course of my lifetime... So I have no problem with doing things others say can be dangerous, but traveling at 35+ miles per hour on an EUC is pure stupidity

Archived