What is NOT good on the NB1 E+ ?

Gormash

I originally set my sights on the Inmotion V5F+ which sells for aprox £800. That is roughly 8500 NOK, which is the currency here in Norway. Not a bad price at all. But after checking around it seems that the shipping and taxing will add roughly 6000 NOK to the price, which is taking it a bit outside my spending-zone. So I started looking for other alternatives.

And the Ninebot One E+ keeps popping up. I've even shop in my city that sells it for 7000 NOK.
I know it is not the latest generation, but people have generally given the wheel positive feedback. And that's where this post comes in...

I want you to tell me everything that is WRONG with the wheel. All your bad experiences and every little annoyances. Weird noises? Pedals too small or large? No irritation is too small to list. :)
I prefer knowing everything I might end up disliking beforehand, and from all the reviews and videos I've seen I don't really get any sense of what that might be.

There's not a whole lot wrong with the Ninebot One E+.  It's a pretty reliable wheel that seems to have a minimum of problems.  It just doesn't go really fast so expect about 22 KPH or so depending on your weight.  It you are really heavy it might struggle to reach that speed.  Although it has a 500W motor, it seems to have fairly good climbing ability for my 167 lbs weight going up fairly steep climbs.  It slows down a fair bit so I don't try to push it to go faster.

With the 12 MOSFET control board, I don't hear any reports of over-heating, and some people do some heavy duty stunts/tricks on them.  Parts are generally available at a variety of sources, but upgrading the battery is limited unless you swap out packs or get the 1Radwerkstatt battery pack with enlarged shells.  The pedals are fine for me, but you might scrape the bottoms on tight turns as they are positioned fairly low.  A little bit of skid trim takes care of that in terms of protection.  Some people find the pedals slippery so they swap out the screws for spikey ones or add grip tape.  I don't have a problem with them unless things get rainy and wet.  The handle is not the best design, but mine does the job as I don't crash on my wheel.  There are no brake or headlights so you have to add your own.  It's not entirely waterproof, but not many wheels are.  You can add some tape to seal up some holes in the shell which helps.  You also have to secure the battery or it ends up wearing small holes through the plastic.  Other than that it's been a pretty solid wheel for me and hasn't let me down yet.

Range and speed are my only issues. Literally, that's my only complaints. I've had it since last October and have around 700 miles on it now. Never had a breakdown.

I'm only able to get 15 miles out of it on a charge, and top SAFE speed is around 12 mph.  For many people, neither of those are issues, but lately, I've been riding with a group and we often go 20-30 miles per ride. Most of them ride GotWay, so they are going faster too. 

I carry an extra battery, so that's not a huge issue anymore, but always being the slowest can be frustrating at times. It's only about 2mph difference, but on a long stretch, that adds up. 

I think the Inmotion V5F+ would be a slight upgrade, but according to what you mention, not financially worth it. 

The One E+ is an awesome wheel, and you will likely be happy. 

Just to to be fair and put it all out there:

There are some people that have had motherboard issues, but I personally haven't had any. 

Hi @Gormash i'm having both Wheels now and i would say it's like @SuperSport mentioned It's mainly Range and Speed and the Tiltback at Topspeed.So the NB1 has 24kph Topspeed vs. 25kph from V5F+,but the Titlback from my NB1 set's in slightly above 20kph vs slightly above 23kph from V5F+.But it's not a Problem to drive 25kph with V5F+.I have the Feeling that NB1's Tiltback is stronger(more uncomfortable) than V5F+.And when your Battery becomes lower than 40% the NB1 drives much slower than the V5F+ whit the same Battery Level.I still drove 22kph with V5F+ at 33% Batterylevel vs ~15kph from NB1.(I'm 80kg)On the other side repairing/changing Tire at NB1 is very easy, just a few Srews and you are at the Tire.I don't know how much work is it whit V5F+,i haven't done it yet.On the other Side V5F+ is 2 kg lighter than NB1,so it's a bit easyer to handle than NB1.But when you go Off_Road 16"(NB1) are beeing nicer to drive than 14"(V5F+),you feel Stones and Stuff stronger as with 16" Tire.I bought my V5F+ @Jason McNeil Shop in England and they just charged me 25Pounds to get it to Germany.Maybe Norway is a different Thing because you are not really in the EU ?I don't Know , did you cheked his Store out? www.wheelgo.com

Greet's Stefan

@Gormash I would never part with my NB1 E+. Not sure why some people say it is older  generation. It has many amenities that other companies still copy today. Some amenities are lacking such as lights as @HunkaHunkaBurningLove pointed out and it may be a tad bit slower 'as @SuperSport mentioned ' than the Inmotion, KS and Gotway but it is built to last!! I have a V5F + that I love as well but as @thaikiwi mentioned, the NB1 is a bit smoother to ride on rough terrain..which I enjoy going slower.  Yes the tilt back catches your breath a bit on the NB but you can easily monitor your speed after riding a while and never even enter that zone. I would go for it!

9 hours ago, Gormash said:

No irritation is too small to list. :)

How can it be that none of you Ninebotonians have mentioned the "joy" of putting air into your tyres?

@Gormash did ask for even the smallest of irritations...

In my opinion, there really isn't anything about the E+ whatsoever that isn't good or is bad.

I second all the minor quibbles above, which are spot-on. Speed and range are the only main issues, which are decent but average.

If you are a new rider, it's great value and fun for the money, and will be an excellent back-up if you graduate to newer, bigger or faster in years to come.

27 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

How can it be that none of you Ninebotonians have mentioned the "joy" of putting air into your tyres?

@Gormash did ask for even the smallest of irritations...

So true. But I bought an extension, so it's easy now. Just forgot...

@lizardmech: nice analysis. So what would be a perfect motherboard according to you and which brand provides something approaching ? I remember having seen a table of MB characteristics somewhere but I can no longer retrieve it.

Done ca. 1200 km on mine and have to say - there are not that many "cons" to mention. 24 km/h before the tiltback engage (max. allowed speed in Norway is 20km/h). Pretty good range. Using it to commute and I get 2 days of use from the battery (=/>25km)  Tire pressure is easy enough to handle as the extension is already in the box.

Pretty good allrounder and not to be seen as "old gen" as it is the trend starter and still one of the good competitors. Airwheel is "old gen" - buyer beware!

7000NOK is a good price.

- no lights (easy to fix but still)

- charging port could be better (be carefull)

- little heavy (buy a trolley bar - you'll need it anyway)

10 hours ago, lizardmech said:

I wouldn't buy a ninebot, the design is too poor for the price. The hardware is almost the same as the first gen generic EUC.

Some of the latest offerings seem to have some issues with random cutoffs so I'm not 100% certain things have improved dramatically.  The KS16 and ACM have had reports of balance failures on take off while other have had fuses burning out.  I don't think the Ninbot One is perfect by any means as there have been MOSFET / control board failures too.  Hopefully the InMotion V series control boards will prove to be one of the more reliable ones over the long run.  So far tests seem promising, but only time will tell.

What is the definition of "better built" ? N1E+ has a magnesium armature. The Lexan (the one used for IPhones) plastic molding is perfect and extremely resistant.

After 1300km, the pedals have no play and have kept their initial inclination thanks to the high quality of the aluminum used for the pedals and their support.

Does this appreciation of "better built" take also electronics into account ? As@lizardmechmentionned, a thorough analysis of motherboards, the number of mosfets, their cooling system, their drivers, and so one, could be taken into consideration.

I think the only way to know is seeing how the machine behaves during a few months of real life use without forgetting that forums generally focus on problems.

Ordered one today at 10 am. Around 11:30 I got a call from them asking if it was OK if they dropped by later today and delivered it. At 16:15 I was the owner of a brand new Ninebot One E+... And it's raining like sin outside.  >_<

8 minutes ago, Gormash said:

Takker!  ^_^
Already addicted, though. Got an Orb Wheel X2 a little over a month ago and almost instantly wanted to trade up to something better.

It won't be long before you are wanting to trade up to something even better. I found the Ninebot One E+ lacked distance and power once I got hooked. I have the 820wh ACM at the moment but am toying with getting the 1640wh version of the MSuper V3

Archived