Serious flaw in the Mini Pro (Updated)

On 8/18/2016 at 4:10 AM, Synap said:

I can't yet see a reason why this is not already part of the firmware.

you would need to switch modes depending on direction (forward/backward), which becomes a non-trivial decision given that one wheel can go forward while the other goes backwards. 

On 8/19/2016 at 10:11 AM, Keith said:

I'm racking my brains to think of any other vehicle that you don't need to give a left turn in order to turn right going backwards so in that respect it isn't counterintuitive.

A car? If I want the car to move towards right hand side of me while sitting in the car, I need to steer "to the right", irrespectively whether I go forward or backward.  

On 9/14/2016 at 5:02 PM, Ozpeter said:

Why change it when most users are quite happy with the way it works now?  For the minority who have a problem with thinking in terms of rotation rather than steering, I'm running out of suggestions.

it can be a firmware option preference.. it does not have to be the same for everyone.

On 9/13/2016 at 8:47 AM, HermanTheGerman said:

It IS definitely a serious flaw.

If you make a curve, regardless on which device (bike, motorbike, ski, EUC, anything) you always lean with the body inside the curve, not outside, because one of the law of physics (centrifugal forces) teach you already as a child to do so.

On the Mini the opposite is the case, therefore this is a very serious bug, because it is needed to drive against the law of physics, if you ride it backwards.

That simple.

i think you are very correct. And may be reason why i will return my minipro. I wonder what Ninebot engineers will do with this issue when they come out the the robot accessory attachment

On 9/14/2016 at 5:56 PM, FriedBacon said:

This has been is a total waste of time.

Some people have serious flaws!!

just give it up... enjoy it as it is. If you don't like it sell it.

Stop being so negative 

friedbacon.. it does not have to be that way.. the firmware can build in the option.. it is merely a coding concern.. kind of similar to the led colors.. but perhaps even of more practical concern.. 

5 minutes ago, Ozpeter said:

Personally I probably spend 0.001% of the time going backwards on my miniPro.  So regardless of how that function worked I wouldn't let it colour my whole opinion of the device.

Exactly!!!

And to those who are not happy with the steering try the following:

- drive Forward very slowly with your knee pressing slightly against the steering bar in one direction

- Keep your knee as it is and slow down

- then stop and go backwards

And now tell me how that should work with reversing the steering. I am sure that that would be dangerous too!

In my opinion it is not safely possible, to reverse the steering (and also not necessary).

I am shure that is the reason why also the Segway as well as the Airwheel S3, S5 and the Ninebot Elite react axactly the same way! Think about it...

Doesn't have to be a contentious point.  If you feel the steering is normal as-is, that is fine.  But to many of us it is un-intuitive and unnatural suddenly leaning AWAY from the pivot point to turn when you normally lean TOWARD the pivot point.  All it would take is an option in firmware to "reverse" the steering direction when the unit rolls backwards.  It's not rocket surgery.  But as long as we have to fight an uphill battle with a self-righteous community that won't stand together when their fellow users are requesting a sensible feature that they themselves do not desire, we will make little progress in improving the general user experience.

But the whole point is that the user may not realise, during a turn on the spot, that the device has decided that it's going backwards, at which point it would suddenly start turning the other way - which would be at least disconcerting if not dangerous.  This request is not trivial - it would very hard to implement safely, even as an option.

1 hour ago, Ozpeter said:

But the whole point is that the user may not realise, during a turn on the spot, that the device has decided that it's going backwards, at which point it would suddenly start turning the other way - which would be at least disconcerting if not dangerous.  This request is not trivial - it would very hard to implement safely, even as an option.

Exactly! This whole thread is still madness. 

Archived