regenerative braking going down hill

I does. Just like with EUC's. Energy from braking have to either dissipate or go into the battery again. So to dissipate so much power there would be cooling heatsinks almost half of the miniPro size. the easiest way to get rid of exessive energy is to regenerate.

• i imagine that it regenerates if it is slowing (if person riding is good at steady balanced hill dissent?.. but when it is completely stopped on hill.. it is using energy to keep from continuing to roll down hill?

I don't know for a fact, but I would be amazed if it did. We're not talking about a car, but a relatively inexpensive item. Even expensive electric bikes rarely use regeneration, it is expensive, adds complexity and adds very little additional charge on slow moving items like this - so there's not much of a benefit in doing so. Honestly, Ninebot is hardly shy about pointing out features on their products, if the Minipro had regeneration I find it hard to imagine that it wouldn't be plastered all over their site and ads.

1 hour ago, Ronald Solomon said:

I don't know for a fact, but I would be amazed if it did. We're not talking about a car, but a relatively inexpensive item. Even expensive electric bikes rarely use regeneration, it is expensive, adds complexity and adds very little additional charge on slow moving items like this - so there's not much of a benefit in doing so. Honestly, Ninebot is hardly shy about pointing out features on their products, if the Minipro had regeneration I find it hard to imagine that it wouldn't be plastered all over their site and ads.

AFAIK, it's quite the contrary. On a bicycle, it's easy to add mechanical brakes, so I can see why it wouldn't be used there, but on a self-balancing vehicle with 3-phase motor, it actually shouldn't require any extra parts (but resistive braking would, including large heatsinks, plus it wouldn't be as finely controlled, so you could easily faceplant because the motor is decelerated too hard), just the motor drive code to open and close the switching transistors (usually mosfets) "correctly".

For technical details, see for example

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/56186/how-can-i-implement-regenerative-braking-of-a-dc-motor

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/a/56171

Although they talk about a 1-phase motor, the same principles should (again, as far as I know) work with 3-phase motors too.

2 hours ago, Ronald Solomon said:

i don't think it is expensive if you use it on a gearless hub motor.. for example Goldden motors has this technology.. and it can regerate some electricity.. but not all of the energy is recaptured..  but with a self balancing vehicle.. it does not have the ability to mechanical brake.. so i cud lose some of that energy if the person is not steady with dissent.. and stops while on hill. i am thinking.. but if it is a slow steady dissent.. with a controler thatt can do it and battery cthat can handle it.. 

Archived