Can we turn off automatic post merging?

When I reply to a few posts in a short time they get merged into one response. This makes one post out of different subjects and merges my replies with new comments making them appear related when they are not.

I don't see a setting for this.

18 minutes ago, Damp Rabbit said:

When I reply to a few posts in a short time they get merged into one response. This makes one post out of different subjects and merges my replies with new comments making them appear related when they are not.

I don't see a setting for this.

I don't thing you as user can affect that. It's a forum feature to avoid users "inflating" their post count by multiply replies. While I understand the "logic" behind this and it's quite useful in some mainly really large forums I believe it's kinda redundant in this particular small community forums as it usually creates more "chaos" / confusion to be really beneficial to it's original purpose. Though as long as you're replying to each post using (at least) partial quote it should be still readable by others.

Personally - one downside I see with merging of the posts (both automatically by the forum system as well as the manually later on by admins) is that sometimes you agree / want to up-vote (or down-vote) only one particular post or reply / "part" of the merged post which you're unable to do so in this case. IMO the audience here is extremely mature that I personally would say that automatic feature shall be either turned of or used really carefully and same goes for manual merging of the posts. I actually had multiply replies and posts in one thread merged here by admin (I think it was 4 or 5 in a total) into one and frankly it become a bit of "mess" ;) (Also most of those posts had multiply vote-ups which get lost from the merged post - I'm not sure if that affects the user's total stats as well and frankly I don't even care - but for example posts with 4 or more up-votes highlighted for other users by green frame as "popular" get lost this way.) I'm not sure if this forum if capable of such feature but for example not merging but counting any consequent posts as one would deal with "post inflating" issue for sure.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/13/2016 at 6:27 AM, Damp Rabbit said:

To be frank, I'm often annoyed by the auto merge feature myself but the setting seems to be preferred by most moderators.  As an experiment I have set the threshold down to one minute (from three minutes).  In other words if you wait one minute between posts they will not be merged.  You can still keep replies to multiple people in a single post by not submitting the replies one by one.

I appreciate this particular discourse more than you know. While it does not matter to me personally whether or not the post auto-merge feature exists or not or it is reset to 1 minute from 3 minutes...  I'm happy folks talk about it.

I have participated in and moderated many, many forums over the years and I know that this subject comes up a lot. People see that  I have not been here very long yet have a higher post count than many and have often assume I just like seeing the numbers run up which could not be further from the truth in my case.

I'm here because I have discovered a new technology that makes me happy and brings joy to my life. I'm just the kind of person who enjoys being part of a community and participate often in its discussions and growth.  I'm well aware of the fact that some people can view me as just a faceless name wanting to give an opinion about every single thing talked about here. That surely has nothing to do with why i'm "here" so frequently.

I have been on both sides of this issue for the better part of a dozen years and I'm serious when I say it doesn't matter what decision is being made year I am glad that the conversation is taking place.

I'm happy I found this forum and I'm proud to be a member and I appreciate the opportunity to participate as often as I want

@Damp Rabbit thank you so much for starting this thread.

Archived