Getting Legislators to Act

dbfrese

What a tease!  You can just see @dbfrese picking up his wheel, and then he's off-camera for the actual demo ride.  But the testimony is interesting to hear and I agree, great job.  Arizona is about to become a great haven for EUC riders, which is very appropriate given our excellent year-round riding climate.

I like the bit where somebody says "... and it's not difficult to mount or dismount."   Apparently that person didn't see me struggling for three weeks to learn that technique!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This afternoon, SB1017, which would add EUCs to the definition of EPAMDs (electric personal assistive mobility devices) will be heard in the Arizona House Transportation Committee. At least for now, the bill is first on the agenda. That can always change at the whim of the chairman of the committee. Another bill of interest is the electric bicycle bill, last on the agenda, which would apparently define bicycles with electric motors of 750 watts or fewer as bicycles, not mopeds or other devices.

The hearing starts at 2PM Arizona time (GMT -7), and anyone interested in seeing the proceedings are welcome to watch the legislature's live-stream online at http://azleg.granicus.com/Mediaplayer.php?publish_id=13 

Simply choose House Hearing Room 3 from the list.

:huh: My bill was first on the agenda, but now all have been heard but two others and the EUC bill.

It looks like mine will be last. It's been a long hearing, but interesting. The electric bicycle bill got a "do pass" recommendation, but it looks like it might get amended on the House floor to remove the requirement for helmets for all but minors.

Last update for today: We have passed another hurdle, this time the House Transportation Committee, by another unanimous vote! Next step is House COW (Committee of the Whole) or, if it stays on the "consent calendar," it can go directly to it's "third read" for a final vote. 

After that, it needs the governor's signature, and it will become law 90 days after the session adjourns sine die!

I will provide a link to the video testimony (and demonstration ride) when it is posted to the Arizona Legislature web site.

19 hours ago, dpong said:

Lack of a helmet requirement seems a good thing. 

And for latecomers, this applies to another bill that was heard in committee today on electric bicycles. There was discussion of amending it on the floor of the House to remove helmet requirements, or at least make it consistent with motorcycle law in Arizona. I'm not following that legislation, so I can't really address any more details about it.

There are no requirements, other than common sense, that compell EUC riders to ride with helmets, as it should be.

Here's the last 8 minutes of the committee meeting, where SB1017 was considered. It had been first listed on the agenda, hence my joking with the chairman of the committee about saving the "best for last." My references to the vice chairman were in reference to a remark he made during one of the previous five bills to be considered, the electric bicycle bill. He said he had a special interest in that bill because he wanted to perhaps ride an electric bike on his five mile commute, instead of a regular bike.

9 minutes ago, dbfrese said:

Here's the last 8 minutes of the committee meeting, where SB1017 was considered. It had been first listed on the agenda, hence my joking with the chairman of the committee about saving the "best for last." My references to the vice chairman were in reference to a remark he made during one of the previous five bills to be considered, the electric bicycle bill. He said he had a special interest in that bill because he wanted to perhaps ride an electric bike on his five mile commute, instead of a regular bike.

Great riding in such a small space!  Looks like you impressed the committee with your EUC skills.  Awesome job!

13 minutes ago, Clovis said:

Great riding in such a small space!  Looks like you impressed the committee with your EUC skills.  Awesome job!

Thanks @clovis! It was actually kinda fun, and everyone there seemed relaxed and jovial about the topic. It definitely helped to calm my nerves a bit.

Colour me very impressed.  8 ayes to 0 nays, it's a WIN .

I especially liked around 8 min ( or was it 5?) not an exact quote, ' eh, yes Mr. Chairman, you could do a FACE PLANT' you said face plant in an official Arizona Senate committee meeting, and no one said "What?" 

"Face plant" is written into Arizona Senate official records for ever and ever. yee  haah!

6 hours ago, dbfrese said:

That was great. Kudos for making the effort to get it on the books. I love how you skirted around the "how fast do they go" question :)  Fortunately none of the members will ever see this forum

39 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Fortunately none of the members will ever see this forum

Yeah, that is a something of a worry isn't it ?  Maybe not in this instance, but eventually... it only takes one particularly diligent councilman to find this forum and all the posts about dodgy wiring, horrible crashes, and the widely variable attitudes to safety demonstrated by Chinese manufacturers, and that alone might seriously set an official against the hobby in a fairly militant way.

This whole forum could be viewed as a one massive warning to not ever legalize EUCs ! If only we all wrote posts about the event-free, safe and reliable daily rides we all have, we could try and redress the balance, but in all likelihood how often does that happen - I had a great ride today, no falls, no safety issues, no problems, and because that is 'normal' I have only written about it at all because I saw the post above !

Then again, there are positive threads; the video thread for a start - that shows more people having a great time and doing it safely / well than it shows terrible crashes, so let's hope they find that first !

CBR

14 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yeah, that is a something of a worry isn't it ?  Maybe not in this instance, but eventually... it only takes one particularly diligent councilman to find this forum and all the posts about dodgy wiring, horrible crashes, and the widely variable attitudes to safety demonstrated by Chinese manufacturers, and that alone might seriously set an official against the hobby in a fairly militant way.

This whole forum could be viewed as a one massive warning to not ever legalize EUCs ! If only we all wrote posts about the event-free, safe and reliable daily rides we all have, we could try and redress the balance, but in all likelihood how often does that happen - I had a great ride today, no falls, no safety issues, no problems, and because that is 'normal' I have only written about it at all because I saw the post above !

Then again, there are positive threads; the video thread for a start - that shows more people having a great time and doing it safely / well than it shows terrible crashes, so let's hope they find that first !

CBR

Yes, human nature being what it is, we are more interested in hearing about what goes wrong then about everyday normal life. It is what it is I guess :huh:

On 05/03/2017 at 3:13 AM, Marty Backe said:

Yes, human nature being what it is, we are more interested in hearing about what goes wrong then about everyday normal life.

Isn't that the first step of how risk management does and should work, by reporting back incidents and not cluttering these reports with the much larger number of non-incidents which happen all the time?

51 minutes ago, Mono said:

Isn't that the first step of how risk management does and should work, by reporting back incidents and not cluttering these reports with the much larger number of non-incidents which happen all the time?

Yes, but it needs to be tempered. Otherwise everyone will be forced to live in padded cells to protect ourselves from the dangers of the world.

I'm a liberty focused guy. Tell me the risks, provide me with information which I can use to mitigate my risks if so desired, and then leave me alone.

On 3/10/2017 at 4:33 PM, dbfrese said:

Next stop: the governor's desk.

Yeah unanimous! However I was about to attack whoever Rubalcava was whenever I saw that they initially voted Nay, but then changed their vote to Yay. Good job dude!

22 minutes ago, Michael Vu said:

And here is my bill that has been drafted and awaiting to be submitted to committees for Texas.

Fantastic! Can't wait to hear more as it makes its way through the system.

3 hours ago, Michael Vu said:

My bill starting to get attention. Not 100% positive attention but still some attention. Number 1 one this list!

I'm really glad the Arizona bill has "flown under the radar." I'm thinking some municipalities might object, if there were a lot of publicity surrounding it.

I just received news that the Arizona's SB1017 has been signed by Governor Ducey!

The changes will become law 90 days after the legislature adjourns "sine die". Right now I don't see a target date for adjourning the legislature, but Arizona likes to keep the legislative sessions short, so it could be sometime in April, that would mean an effective date sometime in mid to late July.

I'll keep you posted!

Archived