Wheel-less in the UK - down Kent way

I've had enough of winter, so I'm heading to the UK for a couple of weeks of better weather. But of course,  I can't bring my EUC all the way from New Zealand...

I'm going to be based in Tonbridge, Kent from 26 August through to 11 September. And in keen to know if there is anywhere in that area that I can rent an EUC? 

Commercial or private, I'm good either way - even if it is only for a few days, it would be great to break up a lot of (boring) walking with some wheeling! 

Well well if @Oily fails to sell his wheel, Tonbridge and Ashford are on the same railway line only 30 mins apart!

Project 42's academy in London now say they "rent one of our wheels for the weekend" which came as a suprise to me:http://academy.project42.com

I do not know of anyone else in the UK who offers hire.

PS good luck with the weather we have had our wettest summer for years - although a late summer heatwave keeps being threatened and I actually got sunburnt yesterday!

Thanks @Keith. Both of those options have potential...

While I hope @Oily all the best selling his wheel, perhaps it would work (for both of us) if that wasn't until mid-September. I'm used to riding a 16" wheel, but this would be fun for a summer holiday. 

I will also have a look to see what this Project 42 is all about.

On 07/08/2016 at 9:04 PM, Keith said:

PS good luck with the weather we have had our wettest summer for years - although a late summer heatwave keeps being threatened and I actually got sunburnt yesterday!

Thanks - but I'm not really too fussed about the weather. If I was I would pick somewhere more reliable. 

I'm actually coming to visit my mother. One has to ensure to maintain ones position in the will...

On 07/08/2016 at 9:04 PM, Keith said:

Project 42's academy in London now say they "rent one of our wheels for the weekend" which came as a suprise to me:http://academy.project42.com

And I completed an (amusing) email chat with Project 42 today. It goes like this...

ME:

Hi Project 42.

I'm an experienced electric unicycle jockey from New Zealand, coming to spend a few weeks in Kent at the end August.

As I am not able to bring my own wheel with me, I am looking at options to rent one for all or a part of my time in the UK.

Are you able to tell me what you are able to offer along these lines?

PROJECT 42:

Unfortunately, we do not offer a rental scheme and would not be able to provide you a product without purchasing a new unit. 

ME:

I'm a little confused though - your website refers to the Project 42 Academy as, "London’s No1 Electric Wheel Hire Scheme."

But you're telling me that you don't hire then out?

And if I were to buy one, would that be a Uniwheel? And will they be available by the end of this month?

PROJECT 42:

Our Academy sessions are for lessons or leisure riding under our supervision near our office in London. We do not rent out wheels for personal use outside of our venue.

If you purchased a wheel, it would need be a wheel that is not on Pre-order as anything on Pre-order is not in stock currently.

3 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

anything on Pre-order is not in stock currently.

Uniwheel on pre-order from Project 42 eh?

Also available for pre-order:

-unicorns (available white/black)

-telekinesis

-necklace old lady drops into the ocean in Titanic

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/08/2016 at 10:42 AM, Paddylaz said:

Uniwheel on pre-order from Project 42 eh?

Also available for pre-order:

-unicorns (available white/black)

-telekinesis

-necklace old lady drops into the ocean in Titanic

We're in good relationships with Uniwheel and look forward to ride/sell their products in the UK as much as others do. Unfortunately, we have already booked out all the pre-orders for unicorns at this stage, but I'm glad you asked :P

On 10/08/2016 at 7:23 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

And I completed an (amusing) email chat with Project 42 today. It goes like this...

Sorry it came as a disappointment. We have looked into the idea to rent out EUCs in a normal fashion, but there are simply too many legal docs that have to be prepared. It doesn't really depend on how good of a rider you are, only the insurance reasons. Yet, we're still keen to let others try our devices via the Academy, and I apologise our description might have created confusion...

31 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@The Fat Unicyclist Curious...the airline would not let you travel with the battery out of your EUC and the battery shipped separately?  

nearly all Airlines have an complete NO ->EUC, hoverboard and segway....on board...

even without batteries inside they can easily say NO...

i asked two "check in supervisors" (germany, dubai) for emirates -which has this no go policy- if i can cary the EUC, if it has(documented and prooved) no batteries inside, as the batteries are the only reason for forbidding! They both say ...ok...no problem!

On my flight from Thailand to Germany...in Thailand bought the Ks16 680 for 750bucks!!!....the emirates supervisor in Bangkok only has a NO WAY EVER! for me :-(

EUC's are not allowed on board/luggage/handluggage...whatsoever...Batterie or not!

My documented and prooved letter of taking the batteries out, was not worth a cent!

So my 4 weeks old Ks16 now is in the hand of an other happy owner :-)

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

@The Fat Unicyclist Curious...the airline would not let you travel with the battery out of your EUC and the battery shipped separately?  

I didn't even try to bring my wheel - as I didn't want to be like @KingSong69 and end up losing it.  

Unfortunately I tend to travel without much warning, which doesn't help with organising the funner things in life. This trip I had 3 whole weeks warning (my current record is 45 hours) - but that would still prove difficult to get something "dangerous" from NZ to the UK.

And that is why I thought about buying a wheel to leave here, or renting one... That just hasn't come off (yet). Though there is still time, if I can find one.

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I didn't even try to bring my wheel - as I didn't want to be like @KingSong69 and end up losing it.  

Unfortunately I tend to travel without much warning, which doesn't help with organising the funner things in life. This trip I had 3 whole weeks warning (my current record is 45 hours) - but that would still prove difficult to get something "dangerous" from NZ to the UK.

And that is why I thought about buying a wheel to leave here, or renting one... That just hasn't come off (yet). Though there is still time, if I can find one.

If you come to Sydney Australia some time in future, I'll sell you a second hand wheel with an agreed buy back at the conclusion of your stay. That would circumvent the insurance liability of rental, yet achieve what you are attempting to do.

Archived