All of a sudden stopped balancing. First standing by itself then with me riding

I was talking to my friend and the mini pro was standing there next to me and it was on and self balancing. Then all of a sudden it beeped then stopped balancing and tipped over, I picked it up, moved it a little back and forth and then it balanced again. Was very strange that it had stopped self balancing all of a sudden, never saw that before. Few minute later, it did the same thing, beep beep, balancing stopped and tipped over and stopped balancing, I just turned it off and set it down,

then I was riding it later, I accelerated to full speed and then the balancing turned off again for a few seconds, it wasn't the lean back that got me it just stopped balancing and I had to jump off quickly or get hurt, 

any idea what would cause this? I never sensed that before. I am on 1.17

this video is EXACTLY what happened to me. Beeped and it stopped balancing.

yes, second on update to 1.3.1.   Ninebot is infamous for providing fixes via firmware updates to....well....fix a known issue.     They process lots of warranty claims so have insight we do not.  When something is costing them $$$ they will update to try n fix.   If you believe they slowed the mini pro down with 1.3.1 to "save you from injury" your wrong.     Update once an update proves safe and no reports of bricked units ;)   The only liability would be from units shutting down as yours did.

• 1 month later...

They are trying to save battery use while not in use, times out after about 5 minute...It stopped balancing several times after I picked it up and sat it back down! Not very controllable with no power, when you're trying to move in a store on foot... it takes a bit for it to 'power' back on, frustrating...

Actually it did powered down several times after I came to a stop and meant to step off, that was semi-scarry...

4 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

They are trying to save battery use while not in use, times out after about 5 minute...It stopped balancing several times after I picked it up and sat it back down! Not very controllable with no power, when you're trying to move in a store on foot... it takes a bit for it to 'power' back on, frustrating...

Actually it did powered down several times after I came to a stop and meant to step off, that was semi-scarry...

Huh? That's never happened to my miniPRO or my wife's miniPRO on 1.3.1. Never. It stays on. 

6 hours ago, WilliamG said:

Huh? That's never happened to my miniPRO or my wife's miniPRO on 1.3.1. Never. It stays on. 

I've seen that som new riders try to hold onto the steering while stepping on and off causing the miniPro to go "motors off"-mode.

@MetricUSA

Powersaving after 10 minutes is a normal behaviour. But 5? Are you sure about your timing? Lost of balance etc. Is that on a Xiaomi Mini? Because if what you describe is on mi mini - then I would not be too surprised, as they have surely got many shortcuts and Ninebot have cut many corners to get that low price to match Xiaomi order.

29 minutes ago, Jojo33A said:

since one week i have the same trouble with my mini, when I stop and I get off the mini, it falls... i wish do not have this issu when i riding ....

Do you have to power it off and on again after that? Did you tried to press the steering down to see if mini balances again?

i had similar problem. it just stopped balancing.. in my case i was not standing on it.. and checked to see if power was till on.. and yes it was on.. I turned off and then turned back on (rebooting)? and it was back to balancing again. it happened a couple times so far.. not sure why.. if it is glitch in the firmware? the battery showed full charge.. so i can't see that it was a low power situation.. and it idin't seem to be under straing because i was not standing on it.. it was just balancing it's own weight. 

4 hours ago, Vik's said:

I've seen that som new riders try to hold onto the steering while stepping on and off causing the miniPro to go "motors off"-mode.

@MetricUSA

Powersaving after 10 minutes is a normal behaviour. But 5? Are you sure about your timing? Lost of balance etc. Is that on a Xiaomi Mini? Because if what you describe is on mi mini - then I would not be too surprised, as they have surely got many shortcuts and Ninebot have cut many corners to get that low price to match Xiaomi order.

i am wondering if this is glitch in the firmware? because i know that it is suppose to beep prior to shutting down for power saving mode. And in my case it stopped balancing.. and the lights were still on.. and there was no beep indication warning that it was about to go into power saving mode.

3 hours ago, Jojo33A said:

since one week i have the same trouble with my mini, when I stop and I get off the mini, it falls... i wish do not have this issu when i riding ....

anyone know when the last firmware update was? I wonder if this is a firware issue.. I know that firware updates can be done via bluetooth on smart phones.. 

15 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

i am wondering if this is a firmware glitch.. I too have recently experienced this sudden balance shut down.. i have not ridden for about a week.. and when i had it powered on yesturday it happened to me that it just suddenly stopped balancing.. thankfully i was not riding it and just guding it where i was going with the arm extended.. was there a firmware update within last 2 weeks or so?

32 minutes ago, Synap said:

anyone know when the last firmware update was? I wonder if this is a firware issue.. I know that firware updates can be done via bluetooth on smart phones.. 

I don't have the exact date, but it is a more than a month ago v1.3.1 got released.

21 hours ago, WilliamG said:

are you connecting to it by your smart phone ? the app conducts the firmware updates.. you might not yet have the latest update?

someone said it di this turn off after they picked it up and put down.. Perhaps their is something int he firmware that reacts differently when picked up and put down.. and how it turns off? because that is when it happened for me too.. i had just picked it up and put it down.. and then moments later it stopped balancing.. i think the power lights were still on.. i can try the same manuver again and see if i can reporoduce this effect.

12 hours ago, Vik's said:

Do you have to power it off and on again after that? Did you tried to press the steering down to see if mini balances again?

i was able to ge mine to restore self balancing by turning off and then on again. After it had locked up self balancing suddenly without warning.

14 hours ago, Vik's said:

@MetricUSA

i am not sure what the senser is sensing.. but if you pick up the segway by ty the knees arm.. it turns the balancing mechanism off.. (without turnning off the segway.. and then once placed back on ground it resumse balancing.. there may be a sensor attached the the knee switch that detects when it is being lifted? if so.. perhaps this sensor can malfunction after a time and cause self balance to disable because the segway things it is being lifted off the ground? I think we need to know what the trigger switch is to this action so we can see if it is something that can be sorted out mechanically.. like for axample a dirty swith?? or perhaps broken switch or switch which is losing correct caibration??

@Synap I am connecting the app to my ninebots regularly and did a search for new firmware right now. I am on the latest version (1.3.1) and I have installed it for almost a month ago.

The switch/sensor is in the steering mechanism because if you lift the miniPro by the platform the motors will spin around *(and stops later going to sleep mode). But If you lift by the steering bar then it beeps and deactivates the motors.

2 hours ago, Vik's said:

@Synap I am connecting the app to my ninebots regularly and did a search for new firmware right now. I am on the latest version (1.3.1) and I have installed it for almost a month ago.

The switch/sensor is in the steering mechanism because if you lift the miniPro by the platform the motors will spin around *(and stops later going to sleep mode). But If you lift by the steering bar then it beeps and deactivates the motors.

i think we need to understand what the sensor is and exactly how it is triggered to understand better what might be causing this malfuction. You said you have not experienced this malfunction or you have? Have you noticed any pattern when it occurs? for example did you lift it up off the ground prior to it happening ? if so how long before?

8 hours ago, Synap said:

i think we need to understand what the sensor is and exactly how it is triggered to understand better what might be causing this malfuction. You said you have not experienced this malfunction or you have? Have you noticed any pattern when it occurs? for example did you lift it up off the ground prior to it happening ? if so how long before?

I've not seen this problem on my miniPro's. The only thing I've seen is the new riders that try to hold onto the steering bar when stepping off the miniPro effectively pulling it up and trigger the sensor that deactivates the motors. So I think the sensor's sensitivity could be a factor on some devices after some miles.

On 05/09/2016 at 10:43 AM, Vik's said:

I ride, I stop suddenly, I put the feet on the ground, quickly, the handle falls.
I straightened a little, and he finished all alone to stand up

i think this problem came from sensor and bms power management : power during the ride and conflict when stop suddenly, i need next time see "about the battery" and take a screenshot for compare with normal use 

Actually I have experienced a very, very similar issue and posted about it earlier. 

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/4117-mini-firmware-v128-please-read-1rst-post/?do=findComment&comment=45805

My problem turned out to be the sensor pads that you stand on. I stood too far apart with my feet (feet in contact with the plastic splash guards on the sides) which resulted in the Ninebot/Segway not registering me standing on it anymore and going into standby mode, and thus tipping over and falling while riding. I have managed to reproduce this by for example riding slowly with feet far apart while barefoot. You will notice the Ninebot/Segway will beep for a brief moment, loose balance and then re-engage. 

Now regarding the falling over part while off it. I have experienced this issue on and off since I got my Ninebot and assumed that it is a bug with the sensorcalibration. Sometimes it just does not stand up when I step off. Most of the time if I step off too quickly or if I pick up the Ninebot by the handle too quickly after I step off it. I think the device does not have time to calibrate the difference of "rider on" and "rider off" before I lift it. This also often results in the wheels still spinning while I am lifting the device.  

ps. I have my device on FW 1.1.7

Archived