Upgrade or not upgrade 1.17 --> 1.31

I have been reading some comments and I think most of them have a valid reason to update and to don't do it, here is my list of pros and cons:

Pros:

- It could help to have more lifetime of the ninebot

- More travel distance

- Bug fixes that can cause suddenly stops

Cons:

- Not sure about the maximum speed

- Changes behavior of driving (this could be a pro also)

- Not enough power in uphills

Please help me to have more opinions I'm very undecided on what to do, I use my Mini daily and have more than 300km's on it

The max speed nonsense is SO OVERBLOWN. 1.3.1 has been absolutely perfect for me, and I zoom around at max speed all the time. The key is not to overload the unit in terms of power. You can go 10mph constantly. If you try to go OVER 10mph, that's when it beeps. So once you learn how to maintain a constant 10mph you'll have no trouble. People who lean FAR Too far forward and then get thrown back simply do not know how to ride the unit. You have to SERIOUSLY not listen to what the unit is wanting you to do to have an accident like this. It's annoying listening to people complain about this. LEAN TO RIDE PROPERLY. :D

Uphill power has been fine for me on the steep hills of Seattle, and I weigh ~210lbs. Sure it's not going 10mph up those hills, but I wouldn't want to go that fast anyway. 

My minipro upgrade to 1.3.1 and running Great, max speed showing in app is 10.9mph.

I never used 1.1.7 (got my unit with 1.2.8, upgraded to 1.3.1), but on 1.3.1, the leanback is pretty bad. The only time I ever felt close to falling/losing control was when the leanback slid the control stick back behind my legs!

Well I did the update, here are my comments:

- Same speed limit

- More stability, I don't fell that the ninebot is "nervous" when I'm in instable terrain, even when i go up it's easier

- Now I can see the maximum speed on the app and the milease seems to be increased

- Less beeping

So, was a good update! :-)

2016-07-27 15.50.45.jpg

I'm not sure whether that max speed reading is max speed possible or max speed reached.  I suspect the former.

As for leanback, I've never had a leanback experience which gets even close to causing a loss of control or fall.  I just don't see how people are getting that - unless, they have tinkered with the "suspension" settings, or they've tried to lean forwards when the Mini Pro is trying to lean back - as there's no point in doing that as the device will "win" every time, you just get used to slowing up a tiny bit as soon as the leanback begins to happen (with attendant beeping).

It has to be pointed out, again, that a self balancing device can only self-balance (by means of the inverted pendulum method) below its maximum speed.  Once that max speed is reached, if the user leans further forwards the device cannot accelerate more to compensate for the lean, and the user falls off on their nose.  And the device also has to maintain a reserve to deal with sudden inclines or obstacles, which have to be surmounted while still keeping power in reserve for balancing.  So, the leanback system is vital to avoid forward falls at full speed.  Of course a bit of nuance is required, but in my experience, the current firmware exhibits that, unless the rider willfully ignores the warning.   It's far more than a preset top speed limiter - it responds intelligently to a variety of detected factors to protect the rider.

Also, electric vehicles accelerate briskly to their full speed and then there's no more acceleration - people are used to cars which accelerate more slowly as they reach top speed.  So an electric vehicle can give the impression of being capable of faster top speed, when actually it isn't.

Goes to show that saying " As for leanback, I've never had a leanback experience which gets even close to causing a loss of control or fall.  " is asking for trouble.  Today I got an "out of the blue" massive leanback and got ejected off the back of my Mini Pro.  That's the bad news. 

The good news is that I didn't fall over and I wasn't hurt, not even shaken really, whereas if it had been my now-retired hoverboard, I would probably have broken something.

But - I think that what happened was actually a safety thing happening, and that being dumped off was probably the best available outcome.  The circumstances were that I was on the road, not the footpath, going down a steep hill a bit too fast, and I was being distracted by someone driving right behind me who was giving her passengers a running commentary on what I was doing (would you believe).  I realised I was about to miss the point where I wanted to go off the road back onto the footpath, but when I braked fairly sharply, I think the Mini Pro decided that it couldn't cope with that amount of braking while going downhill at that speed, and it went into emergency mode and pushed me off the back to avoid me falling off the front.

All in all, I feel more confident in the Mini Pro as a result of this experience.  It seems designed to do what it can to protect the rider if a loss of control seems imminent, and that's something a hoverboard wouldn't dream of doing.  I then travelled another 9km without further incident (apart from occasional gentle leanbacks at points where I was starting to go too fast).

5 hours ago, Ozpeter said:

Goes to show that saying " As for leanback, I've never had a leanback experience which gets even close to causing a loss of control or fall.  " is asking for trouble.  Today I got an "out of the blue" massive leanback and got ejected off the back of my Mini Pro.  That's the bad news. The good news is that I didn't fall over and I wasn't hurt, not even shaken really, whereas if it had been my now-retired hoverboard, I would probably have broken something.hat being dumped off was probably the best available outcome.

Glad to hear you're safe, and thank you for your explanation of the minipro's logic and possible outcomes.  The public "outcry" over leanback has been somewhat disconcerting for new owners like myself but I am comforted by your sane analysis.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived