Inmotion V8 - your thoughts and Impressions ... Now with extensive review included

HEC

So it seems to be already "revealed" at official IM website: http://www.imscv.com/en/inmotion/v8

Please share your thoughts (though you might have already in other two threads here).

As all the published pictures so far seems to be just computer renders it's a bit hard to say for sure what material are the top "cushions" made of but hopefully it's at least thick silicon coated plastic. Also it's fairly unclear where the battery pack pops out from but hopefully from opposite of the trolley handle. And finally - it looks like without LEDs on it might have smooth coherent black surface so let's just hope one of the possible "colour" choices will be black / off ;)

The review is further down the thread at below post:

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only Pro's i see: Wheel "stop" Button, changeable Batterie, a well reputated producer

Cons: Exchangeable Batterie :-) I more like it in the wheel....fancy LED lights...

I think that is a machine, which can be good for 14inch upgraders or Ninebot P waiters!

But nothing for People which own a KS16 or ACM with nearly double the range....

This will be also a Price question.....how much they want for this V8....and i think this will be at least 1100 or 1200 Dollar...

Well for the price I think will be more or less position similar to the KS16 680Wh as the prices in China currently are:

-Inmotion V8: 4999RMB

- Kingsong KS16 (680Wh): 4700RMB

From my point of view (unluckily I never tried a KS16 and I'm quite new on the EU world) of course the KS16 will have more range because of the larger battery capacity, but I think the Inmotion will be superior on design, build quality, weight (is lighter) and have also better handling.

Looks like an ideal Ninebot P replacement/alternative.

On paper, it sounds very promising, but we need to see real pics ! :)

Looks beautiful.

The advertised range of 45 to 50 km will probably be more like 30-35 in real world conditions. Still very good for a wheel of less then 14 kg.

I wonder if the replacable batteries are easily replaced. E.g. can you double your range by taking a spare set with you ...

This unveiling of the InMotion V8 has been extremely quick! They must have 100s of designer engineers, programmers and mold makers on staff along with alot of capital investment.  Inmotion certainly is staying at the top of the EUC market when it comes to innovation and style. I wonder just how much  input from EUC forum members actually contributed to their design process? Final design, specs and price will be huge in determining the market acceptance of this new machine. 

Freaking awesome. They basically took the V5F+ (Which I love <3), took the KS 14C/16, NB1 S2 and took the best of both. Integrated trolley, 16 inch tire, removable batteries, 30 km/h speeds, 800 W motor? Come on! 

I just don't know if the "Hi-Fi" speakers are the same as the V5F+ because I don't think I can play music on those. It seems those speakers are just for the warning messages.

Just some thoughts off my mind...

Is the handle bar strong and sturdy enough to push with power off? Since it's on one side of the wheel which I presume the other side is where the removable battery pops out.

Can the bluetooth speakers be used to play music or is it still locked like in V5?

Is the tire width the same as V5 or is it the wider 2.125 inch?

How bright is the front lights? Same as V5? Brighter than KS-16A?

Did they remove the back lights?

I think these will be key points if they were to compete with KS-16A. Not too sure about the aesthetics of the 3 sets of LED lights though... 

Posted on other thread as well, but this one is more relevant.

The logic, I'm assuming, for the lower capacity battery pack is that a new one can be swapped in in less than a minute. 

If I were responsible for the design, I would have advocated using the same handle as the V5F & use the internal space for 60 instead of 40 cells.

The specifications on the the battery pack are identical to the V5F+, with 40x MH1 cells. I'm in discussions about the possibility of a fast(er) charger than the 1.25A one that now comes as standard.
Some of the more interesting innovations of the Wheel are the use of exotic materials in the motor's construction, & a properly fitted massive heat-sink—look at the size of this beast!  

Removable pack.jpg

Components.jpg

While many of us may not be so mesmerized by the bling LEDs, let's not forget that contributors of this forum represented like 0.01% of the general population. To the average consumer, LEDs play a far more vital element to a decision to part with their cash than any performance related stat. 

17 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

If I were responsible for the design, I would have advocated using the same handle as the V5F & use the internal space for 60 instead of 40 cells.

a 1000+ on this one....who would like to care an other 40 cell pack in his backpack? Thats nearly 2kg......

I will more likely have this under my feet! Also, from the Foto you brought in... it still Looks like you can not do it without the right tools...

Looks like IM France was quick with putting the pre-orders up but so far no estimates on availability / delivery. Hopefully @Jason McNeil will be able to share some details with us soon and make us the offer we can't resist ;)

1 minute ago, KingSong69 said:

a 1000+ on this one....who would like to care an other 40 cell pack in his backpack? Thats nearly 2kg......

I will more likely have this under my feet! Also, from the Foto you brought in... it still Looks like you can not do it without the right tools...

I think the battery port is the window in the opposite side to the handle and no tools are required to change it, but not sure about it

1 minute ago, noze02 said:

I think the battery port is the window in the opposite side to the handle and no tools are required to change it, but not sure about it

40 cells are quit big....look at the Photo Jason postet, you can see that the battery pack is nearly 1/4 of the wheel, the "curved black one" on top!

You can not Change that through a small window...Looks like you have to take the hole cover from one side!

1 hour ago, noze02 said:

Well for the price I think will be more or less position similar to the KS16 680Wh as the prices in China currently are:

-Inmotion V8: 4999RMB

- Kingsong KS16 (680Wh): 4700RMB

That's only £570 isn't it? It's going to be significantly more than that surely

If these preliminary pictures are to scale, those pedals should measure ~ 9.5" x 4.6", 1.3" longer than the V5F+ pedals! Plus, at 6" high, this wheel will be a super-carver!

There is obviously a demand for a Ninebot One P - type model (800W, sub 680wH battery for lesser overall weight, 18+ mph top speed, Ninebot light show), as evidenced by all the talk on the forums about the now defunct P. I think this V8 model sits nicely in it's own lane right next to the KS-16B as a Ninebot One E+ successor (10lbs lighter than the KS-16B, and I'm guessing(?) a thinner design than the KS-16B).

I do agree with @Jason McNeil that I would have preferred they kept the V5F+ trolley handle solution on this model and used the extra space for a slightly bigger battery pack. Plus, that handle doesn't look as sleek as the V5F+ solution; reminds me of the cheap afterthought luggage handles that Gotway and early KingSong models use (although it might be better quality).

Is it me, or did they do away with the rear brake lights?!? Can't seem to find them in any of these pics or schematics....

And also, speakers are definitely a plus; I miss having that option riding on my S2, especially in a group riding scenario. @fearedbliss your V5F+ doesn't have that speaker perforation / area at the rear, does it?

25 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

You have to See that The Ks16 680wh Is for The Same Price (in China)...so it would Go out for The Same As a KS16 here...about 1400 Euro....

1 hour ago, Paddylaz said:

The wheels Are unbelievable cheap in Asia...

i bought the KS16 680wh New in Thailand for 750euro/840 Dollars....And The Seller inThailand Is still making Profit...

thats nothing against our American/European resellers!!!! I Know they have to fight with Transport, custom Special fee's , normal Taxes, guarantee and all!

but it Is like if Is: Asia Prices Are a Hammer ;-)

@Jason McNeil do you know when you will you be receiving some of these V8's as a pre-order?  Does InMotion take orders from dealers ahead of time so that they can time the official release with actual sales availability to avoid lengthy wait times?  Judging by previous model releases, there might be future tweaked versions so I wonder if buyers would want to wait for those to come out or jump on these right away.  It must be difficult to order a specific number of units and then encounter new versions being released.

It's too bad there isn't a local battery pack manufacturer in the US similar to 1Radwerkstatt that can assemble the packs on this continent.  If manufacturers would be willing to sell the wheels without batteries they could air freight them over quickly and have battery packs installed at the destination rather than have customers wait for the slow boat from China for everything to arrive.  It appears that the battery packs are the bottleneck creating the huge delay.  Then again, US production costs would add quite a bit to the price of the wheel so although it would speed up the process likely in the end the pricing would make it less attractive as compared to waiting a month or so.

I can't wait to see a video review of the V8 from Ewheels.  That short parking lot demo of the V5F+ really helped seal the deal for a lot of buyers I think.

1 hour ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

It's too bad there isn't a local battery pack manufacturer in the US similar to 1Radwerkstatt that can assemble the packs on this continent.  If manufacturers would be willing to sell the wheels without batteries they could air freight them over quickly and have battery packs installed at the destination rather than have customers wait for the slow boat from China for everything to arrive.  It appears that the battery packs are the bottleneck creating the huge delay.  Then again, US production costs would add quite a bit to the price of the wheel so although it would speed up the process likely in the end the pricing would make it less attractive as compared to waiting a month or so.

I'd be surprised if there isn't any company in the US that could do the packs. I even found one in Finland :P  A whole another matter what it would cost and how much packs would need to be ordered (or if it's a really small company, how fast / how many packs can they make). 

2 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Jason McNeil do you know when you will you be receiving some of these V8's as a pre-order?  Does InMotion take orders from dealers ahead of time so that they can time the official release with actual sales availability to avoid lengthy wait times?  Judging by previous model releases, there might be future tweaked versions so I wonder if buyers would want to wait for those to come out or jump on these right away.  It must be difficult to order a specific number of units and then encounter new versions being released.

Inmotion's track record is pretty good, in fact exceptionally good! When I met them last month, they told me that the QC process is at least 6 months for the introduction of a new model & these test Wheels accumulate mileage of 3x around the world!!

About the battery packs: that's the plan, send as many as these out to US immediately, then fly the V8s without the packs when available at the end of next month. 

OMG...I just took possession of my new V5F+ today and now (all antonyms) this ugly, horrid, disfigured, hideous V8 comes along. 

SIGN ME UP!:P

@Jason McNeil...I am between patients. Please call me about that other matter. Thanks

Archived