Ever Buy Stuff That You Probably Don't Even Need?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:popcorn: Ah what was this thread about again?  Oh right!  I just bought one of these Beelink GT1 media boxes and picked up some spare Xiaomi Mi starter headphones.

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_428522.html

It's supposed to be pretty good with an S912 octacore processor, 2gb memory, 16 gb storage, 4K video (I don't even have a 4K Tv) and GBlan.  My old Mygica 1200 is acting up a bit so I thought I would upgrade to this Kodi android box.  I believe it comes preinstalled with Exodus and a few other common streaming apps.  It was about $82 CDN.  I hear it's best to use slowmo shipping to avoid duties through faster methods like DHL.

EDIT:  Don't buy this box - there is an annoying green random flash that appears every now and then which apparently there is no firmware fix as of yet. The S912 isn't well supported I here.

So I just love a hot sauce called "Iguana El Fuego" (from Costa Rica), but I normally buy in bulk when I'm in LA from a hot sauce place at the Farmers Market. The problem is I'm running out, and won't be back that way for a while, so have been looking for alternatives...

nzs_hottest_chilli_sauce_combo.jpg

And I just got these - buying local and all that - for a taste-test!

On the hot sauce scale (out of 10), in the order pictured these rate 8, 7, 10, 10+ and 10+++!!!

I definitely don't NEED these, but I'm hoping I like at least some of them!

I like mild Buffalo wings, and anything hotter I can't quite handle.   Louisiana Hot sauce is as hot as it gets for me. :cry2: When a sauce starts burning the tongue and makes the lips numb that's too hot!    Even with my East Indian takeout orders I usually will ask for everything mild.  I find that if it burns going in it burns going out if you know what I mean.  :pooping:

For those sauces didn't they have some taste test samples to try?  I don't know how people eat those high scolville unit peppers.  I'll eat the ones that come with Papa John's pizza, but that's about it!

Maybe I should change my username to Hunkahunkamildlove... :D

54 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I like mild Buffalo wings, and anything hotter I can't quite handle.   Louisiana Hot sauce is as hot as it gets for me. :cry2: When a sauce starts burning the tongue and makes the lips numb that's too hot!    Even with my East Indian takeout orders I usually will ask for everything mild.  I find that if it burns going in it burns going out if you know what I mean.  :pooping:

For those sauces didn't they have some taste test samples to try?  I don't know how people eat those high scolville unit peppers.  I'll eat the ones that come with Papa John's pizza, but that's about it!

Where do I even begin...

1. What do you mean by, "numb lips?" I can't feel my entire face. But my whole mouth is feeling just fantastic.
  2. @John Eucist - see, the toilet emoji is useful. 
  3. Yes, I just got the 60ml sampler pack, just to work out what I like - more on that below. 
  4. Regarding the heat... All I can say is that Scoville was a pussy! 
  5. Heat is great on pizza - over here we have Hell Pizza, who regularly do a "pizza roulette" special. You order whatever you want and (for no extra charge) they load up just one slice with some proper hot sauce. Very entertaining. 
  6. You may not appreciate the chilli eating competition, but the "hot chick" (pun intended) percentage appears to be higher than this forum, so perhaps it is worth considering a change? 
  7. Perhaps I should change my username to "The Ring Burner!"

As for my test... the 7, 8 and 10 were "tangy." I like the flavour more in the 10+, but love the heat of the 10+++. Perhaps if I blend them into a 10++ with good flavour?

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I can now understand why the Māori people have this look and can tattoo their faces.... They have burned away all their sensory nerve endings!

Too Spicy!!!

c2e2c9dea6.jpeg

LMAO:laughbounce2:

So Mrs Fat Unicyclist and our daughter decided that I need a set of these...

vr-refresh-trial-headset?$TwoColumn_Imag

No seriously, they did. 

Anyway,  we rocked into the store to pre-order, and the guy says, "Some dude didn't collect his. Did you want this one?"

And after considering the options for about a tenth of a second, I now have a Playstation 4 VR thingy whatsit. 

First thoughts - it isn't the 3D that makes this awesome, it's the additional control that takes this to the next level! 

And, now I have something to do when it's too wet to wheel...

3 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

So Mrs Fat Unicyclist and our daughter decided that I need a set of these...

vr-refresh-trial-headset?$TwoColumn_Imag

No seriously, they did. 

Anyway,  we rocked into the store to pre-order, and the guy says, "Some dude didn't collect his. Did you want this one?"

And after considering the options for about a tenth of a second, I now have a Playstation 4 VR thingy whatsit. 

First thoughts - it isn't the 3D that makes this awesome, it's the additional control that takes this to the next level! 

And, now I have something to do when it's too wet to wheel...

that is very cool

how exciting that it was your FAMILY who wanted this before you

awesome

7 hours ago, Greg Spalding said:

that is very cool

how exciting that it was your FAMILY who wanted this before you

awesome

Though now I just sit silently in the corner waving my arms around...

I'm not sure if that was their plan from the beginning. 

37 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I like VR, but I got really nauseous after using a Google Cardboard setup with my iPhone.  How's the dizziness factor on the PS4 VR?

These nerds are calling the set up of the PSR V4 complicated! So many plugs and connectors. A cable management rat's nest. @The Fat Unicyclist With your skill level it will be child's play

IMG_0433.JPG

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

These nerds are calling the set up of the PSR V4 complicated! So many plugs and connectors. A cable management rat's nest. @The Fat Unicyclist With your skill level it will be child's play

IMG_0433.JPG

Okay, so here's how it works (as I understand it)...

You're buying an additional processor that connects between the HDMI output and the TV. It also had an USB connection back to the Playstation. 

And that is as hard as it gets. 

Based on what I have seen (and understand) the PS4 HDMI output is 3D, with one channel being sent (passed through) to the TV. The other channel is split into two (left and right screens) and displayed in the VR headset.

The USB connection is practical to keep everything working, and I wouldn't call it complicated. It basically just connects between the PS4 and the TV.

It makes perfect sense to me, and the unit comes with "101" instructions that anyone should be able to follow, so I wouldn't expect that it takes a degree to understand! 

Was it Microsoft that complained about the complexity? 

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I like VR, but I got really nauseous after using a Google Cardboard setup with my iPhone.  How's the dizziness factor on the PS4 VR?

I do get dizzy while playing... But I also get dizzy when I don't play - though that is probably a result of the alcohol and marajuana...

Seriously, it isn't an issue - it works really well! 

5 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I do get dizzy while playing... But I also get dizzy when I don't play - though that is probably a result of the alcohol and marajuana...

Seriously, it isn't an issue - it works really well! 

Awesome!! Great to hear! A lot of parents will be buying these as Christmas gifts  for their kids and easy assembly is always better! The 2 guys on the video must be trying to encourage more viewership by stating the hookups are difficult. You should post your own YouTube video demonstrating the ease of setup! 

Now take a video with you playing the PlayStation V4 after a few drinks and smoking a bong. :cheers:

On 11/4/2016 at 1:25 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

sorry that it took me so long to see this

BRAVE FOLKS

can only imagine the screaming from the toilet seat a few hours later (or MINUTES, as the case may be)

• 2 weeks later...

Gives a whole new meaning to "The Ring of Fire!"  ;)

I just received my Beelink GT1 media box, and my first impressions are pretty good.  it's a lot smaller than I expected.  It feels solid and slim, but there is a noticeable weight to it.  The box is fast compared to my old Mygica box.  I quickly installed the TVaddons config wizard which got me all set up.  The Beelink remote is a little cheap, but I have a Minix Neo A2 Lite remote that I got for cheap on a price error deal a while ago which works well.  I was a little disappointed that Kodi and Netflix (installed through Play store) both kept on crashing, but I think I may have fixed them:

http://www.bee-link.com/Beelink-494-1-1.html

I disabled the amcodec in Kodi, and I think that might do the trick.  I haven't tested it thoroughly yet.  For Netflix, do not rename this file or it will soft brick the unit needing the firmware to be reloaded via MicroSd.

http://www.bee-link.com/Beelink-642-1-1.html

If anyone is interested in the Xiaomi starter headphones, Gearbest has them on sale now for even cheaper at $6.38 CDN!

http://www.gearbest.com/earphones/pp_231055.html

Edit:  I would hold off on getting a Beelink GT1 until they've worked out the bugs.  The Netflix fix doesn't work if you reboot as it get stuck on the loading screen.  There are reports of random green flashes.  Kodi crashes randomly and amcodec seems to be the culprit.

Just now, steve454 said:

Holy Crap @Hunka Hunka Burning Love if I had one quarter of your skills with electronics:(

It's actually not too difficult to get Kodi working, but some of these media boxes are a little finnicky.  You can actually install Kodi on your PC and then go to SYSTEM, File Manager, double click the Add Source, enter http://fusion.tvaddons.ag, name it fusion, go into SYSTEM, Add-ons, then Get add-on from zip file, and then select the fusion source.  You can then go to the folder start here, and install config wizard.  Once that is installed, you can go to PROGRAMS, then run the config wizard to install all the goodies up.  There's lots of helpful Youtube videos online that walk you through the process.  

I usually use EXODUS to stream most of the TV shows and movies I watch.  It's quite convenient.  Once you've set up the config wizard a few times on different platforms it gets pretty familiar.

No seriously it's actually not too difficult if you give it a try.  You can download the Kodi windows installer which installs the main program which doesn't have any of the add-ons, and then follow the steps in the video.   The config wizard does the rest.  It just looks complicated if you haven't done it before.

Basically you are just adding one URL address for Kodi to find the config wizard add-on and then run it. Just imagine Kodi is like a web browser where you enter the URL web address to download and then run a small add-on program.

Exodus is really great if you like watching TV shows without commercials or movies without needing to download them.  I usually select TV shows then Most Popular, and most of my shows are listed there.  You then select the show and episode and then select one of the available streams.  Some work some don't so just click the next one down the list if the others fail.

You can then do this on your android phone or jailbroken iPhone to watch on the go.  Then buy a media player box to do the same thing...

I never knew how to do a lot of things, but I gave some a try and eventually learned how.  It's just like riding an electric unicycle. You try a few things and try try again!  If you never try, you never have any to lose but you have nothing to win either.

Archived