King Song 14C 800W 680Wh - Broken

Liam Mit

Hi all, 

Purchased King song 14c (800w) from Wheelgo late 2015, without warning the axle cracked approximately 3 months later. Unfortunately Wheelgo no longer trade from the UK, Jason was kind enough to send me the complete service manual, but unfortunately his suggestion to 'hammer it back' was never going to work. Dispite a number of emails to http://www.szkingsong.com/ they do not appear to be able to reply.

Cost £895

Broken axle 3 months later

cost/ time = £298 a month. 

I am also lucky enough to own an ips and ninebot, had no issues with these units.

Liam 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
On 7/18/2016 at 1:19 AM, Jason McNeil said:

Liam, my colleague in the UK can sort you out! Didn't hear back from you, so assumed all went well... There's a replacement motor which recently arrived.

Can you drop me a line & we'll make the necessary arrangements! 

Jason,

did you get the new motor from the factory as warranty repair or did you have to pay for it yourself? I have the same issue. I bought from Neale and after first brief message where KS said they will not repair it under warranty KS stopped communicating with either of us. Thanks for your answer. :)

You have my sympathies, but come on, why would you buy from a guy in Australia with no reputation of selling outside his region?!

The main advantage of localized regional support, is that we can use the Ace card of future orders to get manufacturers to honour their warranty obligations. 

I've now built up a pretty good inventory of all parts for just about any contingency, there should be none of this, 'waiting for manufacturer to send us parts' business.

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

You have my sympathies, but come on, why would you buy from a guy in Australia with no reputation of selling outside his region?!

The main advantage of localized regional support, is that we can use the Ace card of future orders to get manufacturers to honour their warranty obligations. 

I've now built up a pretty good inventory of all parts for just about any contingency, there should be none of this, 'waiting for manufacturer to send us parts' business.

@andress , @Jason McNeil Is spot on with this. 

I am one of the people who bought from him locally and have thanked god so many times as Jason never failed to help me more times than i can remember now. Sometimes he offers me help before i ask for it!! You should buy more local next time!

Mainly thanks to this very forum I bought my KS14C from the distributor in my home country. So far so good other than over heat if freestyle to long, but this will be resolved this winter!

@Nippa Zeus and @andress May I ask for more info concerning your broken axle? Did you notice it right away?

Did you jump a lot? Tire pressure? Off road?

I must chime in and say that after more than a thousand miles on my beloved KS14C she still works very well!

UKJ

On 18. 9. 2016 at 7:03 PM, Jason McNeil said:

I wrote on the facebook group inquiring about seller and Neale was the only one to respond. I don't remember anymore if I didn't know about you or just got better price and thought it is worth it... Next time I would buy locally but I hope I don't have to yet as I want to make my KS working again. 

You didn't really answer my question. Anyway would it be possible to source the motor from you?

8 hours ago, UKJ said:

Mainly thanks to this very forum I bought my KS14C from the distributor in my home country. So far so good other than over heat if freestyle to long, but this will be resolved this winter!

@Nippa Zeus and @andress May I ask for more info concerning your broken axle? Did you notice it right away?

Did you jump a lot? Tire pressure? Off road?

I must chime in and say that after more than a thousand miles on my beloved KS14C she still works very well!

UKJ

I noticed once the pedal holder started scraping the motor. I didn't know what it is so I took the unicycle apart.. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/09/2016 at 6:03 PM, Jason McNeil said:

Update - 

Jason, 

As requested, wiring as per manual.

img_1218.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2016 at 0:26 PM, andress said:

I have the same issue.

Two people with KS cracked axles? Sounds like another example of the product being released to customers without proper testing.

" your axle is not bent - it is cracked. Look more closely at the base of the shaft - i predict you will see a crack on one of the sides. The crack will be on the side where the angle between the shaft and the motor cover is obtuse. There is no other way but to replace the entire motor."

Oh no, is this a third one??

On 2016/7/18 at 7:14 AM, Liam Mit said:

Hi all, 

Purchased King song 14c (800w) from Wheelgo late 2015, without warning the axle cracked approximately 3 months later. Unfortunately Wheelgo no longer trade from the UK, Jason was kind enough to send me the complete service manual, but unfortunately his suggestion to 'hammer it back' was never going to work. Dispite a number of emails to http://www.szkingsong.com/ they do not appear to be able to reply.

Cost £895

Broken axle 3 months later

cost/ time = £298 a month. 

I am also lucky enough to own an ips and ninebot, had no issues with these units.

Liam 

oh, I am glad to hear that the wheel of IPS and ninebot is okay.:)

I have a broken axle on my ks14c too. That's four on this thread. This is too common.  It cracked at the base of the hub. Photo attached. Clearly a manufacturing defect. These should be recalled.

When it finally broke it caused me to fall. It happened exactly in front of the entrance to a hospital emergency room. Thankfully I didn't need to go inside. I had warning because the pedals started rubbing the motor housing. Oddly enough the rubbing started 100 feet after I left the Solowheel showroom. I thought the axle was only bent so I rotated the pedals 180 degrees and kept riding.  

I'm being ignored by electricunicyclereviews.com where it was purchased even though they agreed it should be a warranted condition. 

I miss my wheel. I have over 1000 miles on it. Used it to commute to work 12 miles each way.  I'm a gentle rider.

image.jpeg

Sorry to hear that. I have a ks 14c too so I'm not happy for you or my future. 

A question for everybody who sells Kingsong: what is Kingsong doing about this basic engineering flaw (sharp 90* milled angle) ?

and a question or two for anyone technical; can these axles be pressed out of the hub and replaced, maybe with a stronger design, or simple some quality bar stock?   Or, would a repair weld there,  be asking for future trouble? (Assuming the wiring is removed first. I've heard that the metal around a weld becomes brittle.

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

A question for everybody who sells Kingsong: what is Kingsong doing about this basic engineering flaw (sharp 90* milled angle) ?

and a question or two for anyone technical; can these axles be pressed out of the hub and replaced, maybe with a stronger design, or simple some quality bar stock?   Or, would a repair weld there,  be asking for future trouble? (Assuming the wiring is removed first. I've heard that the metal around a weld becomes brittle.

Ks14 in its first iterations is known to have this problem on some wheels!

On newer Ks14....i would say produced after end of 2015 this has been changed...and did not happen anymore.....

So there should be a good chance of getting warranty for this...if you have a reliable seller...

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

I don't think this is an issue with kingsong only. Myself, and at least 2 other people had a similar issue with the gotway msuper2. I am beginning to think this is an issue with high speed EUCs, or maybe EUCs in general

9 hours ago, Trucktent said:

I have a broken axle on my ks14c too. That's four on this thread. This is too common.  It cracked at the base of the hub. Photo attached. Clearly a manufacturing defect. These should be recalled.

When it finally broke it caused me to fall. It happened exactly in front of the entrance to a hospital emergency room. Thankfully I didn't need to go inside. I had warning because the pedals started rubbing the motor housing. Oddly enough the rubbing started 100 feet after I left the Solowheel showroom. I thought the axle was only bent so I rotated the pedals 180 degrees and kept riding.  

I'm being ignored by electricunicyclereviews.com where it was purchased even though they agreed it should be a warranted condition. 

I miss my wheel. I have over 1000 miles on it. Used it to commute to work 12 miles each way.  I'm a gentle rider.

Dont feel bad - mine broke 3 times ( 3 different motors). They break in between 1000-2000 km when the riders weight is about 100kg. It starts with the pedal's pillar scraping on the motor cover, so there is time for the rider to get off the wheel before the axle breaks.  Interesting how you managed riding with the pedals rotated 180?? If you turn the shaft (pedals) 180 the wheel will think that it is upside down and should not ride.

this will be next to impossible to weld.

7 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Ks14 in its first iterations is known to have this problem on some wheels!

On newer Ks14....i would say produced after end of 2015 this has been changed...and did not happen anymore.....

So there should be a good chance of getting warranty for this...if you have a reliable seller...

No, actually motor axles made after 2015 still break

7 hours ago, logos122 said:

I don't think this is an issue with kingsong only. Myself, and at least 2 other people had a similar issue with the gotway msuper2. I am beginning to think this is an issue with high speed EUCs, or maybe EUCs in general

agreed,. This is not just kingsong. Its an issue with motor design across several brands

55 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Dont feel bad - mine broke 3 times ( 3 different motors). They break in between 1000-2000 km when the riders weight is about 100kg. It starts with the pedal's pillar scraping on the motor cover, so there is time for the rider to get off the wheel before the axle breaks.  Interesting how you managed riding with the pedals rotated 180?? If you turn the shaft (pedals) 180 the wheel will think that it is upside down and 

Rotating the pedals 180 degrees is easy. You take the pedals off, spin the axle 1/2 a turn, reinstall the pedals. 

As as far as the axle developing cracks; that is not normal and is an incredibly dangerous defect if present. I work in a metal fabrication industry and can tell you the most likely cause is poor quality metal, poor machining practices, or bad casting methods. Fatigue shouldn't be a cause of failure either. It doesn't mater what the cause is there is no excuse for this many bad axles.

How many bike axles have you heard of failing. There is a whole lot more bikes out there and they don't have a problem. I've been a hell of a lot harder on the bike rims I've had and have never heard of or seen a broken axle. I've seen frames break and rims fold from impact but never a broken axle. Who in their right mind would put up with a bike wheel randomly falling off. That's what is happening to some King Song models. 

I would hope the manufacturers would own this serious problem and fix it. 

You better believe I'm doing a dye penetrate test for cracks to my replacement motor before I'll ride it. 

3 hours ago, Cloud said:

No, actually motor axles made after 2015 still break

Ok...to say "did not happen anymore" was wrong...

What i meant is that the percentage of KS14 axxis broken got back to that of other wheels and was not inflated anymore....

I was thinking of pulling the axle and rewelding it myself but decided it was too risky. I haven't fully disassembled my wheel yet but it appears at least from the wired side that the axle is fairly integrated with the electric motor. You would probably have to cut the power and control wire bundle to get the axle out plus decoupleing it from the motor housing while not damaging anything. Doable with massive effort, tools, and expertise.  Might be fun.

15 minutes ago, Trucktent said:

Doable with massive effort, tools, and expertise.  Might be fun.

So what are you waiting for? Who knows, with your industry skills and acces, you could become the "go to" guy for axle replacement.

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

So no one can say if these axles can be hydraulically pressed out and a better piece of steel pressed in?  It's about $3 worth of bar stock.  Surely someone has done it, no?

Yes, thats doable....And yes, someone has done!

Our Forum hero- EUCextreme, has changed the axxis to a better one...using a hydraulic press!

so it is possible...

57 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Our Forum hero- EUCextreme, has changed the axxis to a better one...using a hydraulic press!

Figures.   Thanks.  I'll look it up.  I was browsing his many mods on a photo sharing site he linked to.  I probable saw it, becauseut I can't remember ship these days (CRS) .  He is THE person who knows how to built an EUC the right way.  I'll go,look at his mod. Photos again.  In the mean time it's no more jumping off benches for me,  no sir.  Gotta make that axle last, even if it is made out of metallic cheese.

16 hours ago, Trucktent said:

Rotating the pedals 180 degrees is easy. You take the pedals off, spin the axle 1/2 a turn, reinstall the pedals. 

I understand how you rotated the pedals. What i dont understand how you were able to ride like that, as the wheel would be thinking that it is riding upside down

1 hour ago, Cloud said:

I understand how you rotated the pedals. What i dont understand how you were able to ride like that, as the wheel would be thinking that it is riding upside down

The orientation of the wheel is sensed by the control board when it is turned on. All it cares about is how vertical and horizontal the unit is at startup and provides adjustment and feedback from there. Interesting point you make. Because with the right mount to the shell it could be possible to have a 360 degree tilt back function. 

Archived