From Firmware 1.1.7 to 1.3.1: Do NOT upgrade!

I tested 1.3.1 to see if there are positive changes to 1.1.7, and there are definitely none, the opposite is still the case.

Because I used also 1.2.8 one month ago, I have to admit, that 1.3.1 is better than 1.2.8, but it is still a lot worse than 1.1.7:

1) going uphill is less powerful and less fast than with 1.1.7,
2) if you are doing long cruises like me near highest speed, you stand after some time on your toetips, with the steering bar behind your knees,
3) if you are driving a lot around max speed, you are soon idiotically "punished" by the firmware lowering your maxspeed limit,
4) if you are driving a lot around max speed, the Mini is still beeping to much,
5) the maxspeed display is a fake: if it shows 18 km/h, you are in reality driving below 17 km/h, between 16,5 and 16,8.

All the above is not the case with firmware 1.1.7, so I know the device COULD do it better, only some crazy Ninebot policy cripples it.

Downgrading is no longer possible, because when trying to load the 1.1.7 firmware using Denniss method, it dies after 2% with Unknown error 9, so I believe they applied something in the 1.3.1 firmware file which does not allow to downgrade to a lower version, so I'm stuck with 1.3.1.

For me that was it, both with the Mini and Ninebot, and I'll test some unicycles from Kingsong, Airwheel and others.

The MiniPro, which I liked a lot at the beginning, I will put on ebay, because I refuse to ride an intentionally crippled device.

Hmm, after my first anger from yesterday, where I discovered the above behaviour and because of that drove only 4 km, I went for more than 20 kilometers today.

To me it looks like as if the Mini had to adapt on the riding behaviour, because after some time the riding experience was better, and it was also faster, for the middle 10 kilometers.

Maxspeed was set down again, but only to 17,8 km/h for short, and then to 18 again.

Then I did let a 12 year old child drive for a few rounds, he was the first time on a segway, and when I entered it again, maxspeed was set to 16,5 km/h.

So it looks not that bad, but before I commit these results, I want to verify them tomorrow.

The 5 topics from yesterday, adapted to todays experience:

1) going uphill is less powerful and less fast than with 1.1.7, this is still true,

2) though it felt better than yesterday (either the Mini adapted to my riding, or vice versa), it feels more uncomfortable than with 1.1.7, because steering is more difficult and riding more strenuous, the device tilts back more than before, even if driving flat.

3) This was not the case to much today, though the "punishment" should be removed completely,

4) This was not the case today,

5) Though the display is telling more speed than real, it was not that bad today, always more than 17 km/h when the app showed 18.

But I have to say, today it was a lot colder than yesterday, maybe the 7 degrees temperature difference helped to keep batteries and motor cool, so that riding behaviour was better.

I'll share further experiences, maybe it helps others.

Still my recommendation is currently:

if you have 1.2.8 or lower, downgrade to 1.1.7 using the described methods, and don't forget, if you once upgrade to 1.3.1, you can no longer downgrade afterwards.

My main problem currently is, that the maxspeed limit is set to 16,5 km/h for some reason when you reach a remaining range between 12 and 14 km.

If they would keep the maxspeed limit at 18,5 ALWAYS without ever changing it (except when the device becomes to hot), then it would be o.k., and I could recommend 1.3.1.

But when it is lowered to 16,5, the backward tilting becomes awkward, also up- and downhill driving.

So no continuous driving experience is possible, because the steering behaviour is  changing.

This change of the maxspeed setting should be possible to be controlled via the App, e.g. setting it to "Auto" for the current behaviour, or to "18,5" or "Max" for expert driving.

Currently it's like that: At the beginning 18,5 km/h, but only for very short time, 2 to 4 kilometers, then it is set down to 18.

And latest, when you reach a remaining range between 12 and 14 km it is somewhere suddenly set to 16,5 km/h, which makes riding very bad, not only because it is so slow, but because backward tilting, accelerating and decelerating change a lot to the worse, so that you can fall off if you are used to the prior behaviour.

I have to confess, I'm riding the Mini also across meadows, rough roads (gravel rods) and sandy beaches near river Danube, and it works quite fine as long as it has the full power, but it does no longer work when the maxspeed changes to lower values, because then also the necessary power is lost for things like that.

I think the slowdown after 12/14 km has to do with the battery discharging.. I'm on a downgraded 1.1.7 firmware and my mini is acting the same way.. when I'm about halfway battery (2 lines lit up on the display) the mini becomes more sluggish and less responsive to my riding behavior.. also I feel it doesn't go as fast as when on a full charge.. I just wish they would let the user decide if performances should degrade over time to save batteries of if you want 100% performance until the battery is dead.. kinda like they have power profiles on laptops: battery saving/balanced/full power... I don't want to slow down when I know it's only 2 km left to my office and a power outlet.. I think their software is designed by idiots with no user experience..

I am not so shure that saving energy is the reason for slowing down the mini when battery is low.

I had the case about a year ago with my airwheel X3: while driving uphill with a low battery I was falling off very hard to the front because of lacking power. No beep or any other warnings before.  

It is important to always have enough power if any obstacle is coming up. And when driving at 18 km/h I think there is not enough power left for that. So it is just a matter of safety. And it is not so impartant for me whether I go on 16 or 18 km/h.

I have a mini with 1.3.1 and a mini pro with 1.1.7 and for me both firwares are quite the same. At least the 1.3.1 is much, much better than 1.2.8.

There is no doubt a balance to be struck between speed and hill climbing ability, versus rider safety and battery longevity.  Personally I'm a bit inclined to favour safety and a long-lasting battery (and motors I guess) - if I wanted ultimate speed I would ride a bicycle - and round here, it's hard to find anywhere with a surface suitable for long fast riding.

I"m still on 1.1.7 but tempted to go for 1.3.1 for the above reasons.

On 14.7.2016 at 0:51 PM, Ozpeter said:

There is no doubt a balance to be struck between speed and hill climbing ability, versus rider safety and battery longevity.  Personally I'm a bit inclined to favour safety and a long-lasting battery (and motors I guess) - if I wanted ultimate speed I would ride a bicycle - and round here, it's hard to find anywhere with a surface suitable for long fast riding.

I"m still on 1.1.7 but tempted to go for 1.3.1 for the above reasons.

I don't agree with you both.

There are already enough unicycles on the market, e.g. the Kingsong KS16, with a maxspeed of 30 km/h and a range of 50 km or more.

Therefore I'm quite sure, that either stefanoda is right, and the software is designed by people with no user experience and no feeling what customers want, or the Mini has a design flaw, which doesn't allow a smooth riding experience.

I also agree with stefanoda, when he says he would prefer that the Mini should be able to go fullspeed (18,5 km/h) until the range is down to let's say 5 km.

The current setting of 16,5 km/h around a range of 12km is crap.

It makes perfect sense to me that the miniPRO limits the top speed when the battery falls below a certain level. It avoids the incidents that I've read on the Ninebot One where you ask for max power, and the battery drain at that level of power request just causes a shut-off. I do NOT want my miniPRO shutting off under any circumstances. 

Does anyone know if they are still shipped with 1.1.7?  Getting today and plan on NOT upgrading.  Having had the NB E+ and NB P,  teaches patience on firmware upgrades :)

As more people join this group with mini's, we should be able to report and breakdowns or wacky behaviors quickly. 

Mine was pre order shipped with 1.2.8 by Amazon, received before July 4 weekend. 

Arrived via Amazon with 1.2.8 and still unclear if I should upgrade? It prompts to upgrade to new version. 

Is 1.3.1 safe?

Thank you.

12 hours ago, nbxpq3 said:

Mine was pre order shipped with 1.2.8 by Amazon, received before July 4 weekend. 

If you are on 1.2.8 there is still a possibility to go down to the "fast" 1.1.7!

If you are on 1.3.1 (current) there is currently no way back. (Until a possible way was found to downgrade)

Many people report errors while downgrading from 1.3.1 to 1.1.7.

If you don't bother to go to 1.1.7, then you can update to 1.3.1. -  1.3.1 is better than 1.2.8!

Archived