Inmotion V5F+ review

fearedbliss

@Paddylaz I use 40 psi as well but you just reminded me to check my pressure tomorrow. Maybe I am riding @20 psi ? Would be great to have an electronic tire pressure monitor. I know...it only takes a second to check. Just lazy?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 18 August 2016 at 2:34 AM, Rehab1 said:

@Paddylaz I use 40 psi as well but you just reminded me to check my pressure tomorrow. Maybe I am riding @20 psi ? Would be great to have an electronic tire pressure monitor. I know...it only takes a second to check. Just lazy?

I've been out a couple of times on about 57-58 PSI. Feels pretty good to me. Defo won't go higher though

@Jason McNeil Do you expect a firmware update to increase the speed on the V5F+ in the near future? I had an abundance of tilt backs today cruising on bike paths. It would be nice to have a bit more speed. I must admit the tilt backs were much gentler than the NB1E+ so that was a plus!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone try doing hill climbing with the V5F+?  I have the V5D and found that after climbing a 15 degree hill continuously for about 10 minutes, it overloaded and tilted and asked me to get off.  I then reverse myself and go back downhill and after a few minutes, it also overloaded and asked me to get off.  My weight is about 85kg.  I did not check the motor temperature but I guess that was the reason of the overload.  Are there a better light weight gear for hill climbing?  I can see the MCM4 might be a good choice, or the new V8?  The Msuper 3 can do of cause but it is so heavy and so expensive that I might just go buy a e-scooter (like the Inokim) instead.

On 12 September 2016 at 9:54 AM, hyiu00 said:

Has anyone try doing hill climbing with the V5F+?  I have the V5D and found that after climbing a 15 degree hill continuously for about 10 minutes, it overloaded and tilted and asked me to get off.  I then reverse myself and go back downhill and after a few minutes, it also overloaded and asked me to get off.  My weight is about 85kg.  I did not check the motor temperature but I guess that was the reason of the overload.  Are there a better light weight gear for hill climbing?  I can see the MCM4 might be a good choice, or the new V8?  The Msuper 3 can do of cause but it is so heavy and so expensive that I might just go buy a e-scooter (like the Inokim) instead.

Haven't had any problem with hill climbing - in fact, it's a fantastic hill performer. My previous wheel was the 30km/h IPS Lhotz. That struggled on some of the steep hills around me when battery was under 40ish, letting out horrible beeps of distress. 

My vf5+ handles them perfectly. Having said that I'm only 67kg or so so I guess that might make a difference to your experiences

On 9/12/2016 at 3:54 AM, hyiu00 said:

I have the V5D and found that after climbing a 15 degree hill continuously for about 10 minutes, it overloaded and tilted and asked me to get off.  I then reverse myself and go back downhill and after a few minutes, it also overloaded and asked me to get off.  My weight is about 85kg

10 minutes!? That seems like very good performance to me.  Also the overload protection seems very good.

My V5 F+ yelled at me the same way and then forward tilted 45 degrees after I was hard practicing forward and reverse for 15 minutes. Inmotion's  safety measures are awesome! 

On 9/19/2016 at 7:31 AM, steve454 said:

10 minutes!? That seems like very good performance to me.  Also the overload protection seems very good.

Yes, the good thing is it is this is very safe.  I wish they can increase its power output to 800W, maybe by some kinds of active cooling, etc.  Personally I do not like the V8 that much, especially for its price and its trolley handle.

On 12.9.2016 at 10:54 AM, hyiu00 said:

if your v5f did not go up the hill...i would suggest no other Euc will go up better, not the v3 ?..not an e-scooter!

the small EUC's (14) have the highest torque...even better than some powerful 18" wheel!

perhaps, just perhaps the v8 will perform a little better, but not much at all!

forget about the "nominal" wattage....all those mentioned wheel have around 2-3000watt max

16 hours ago, hyiu00 said:

I wish they can increase its power output to 800W

@hyiu00 I saw a video where a guy was riding an electric bicycle that had a large battery pack and was very powerful.  Maybe something like that could do long hill climb.

16 hours ago, hyiu00 said:

active cooling,

That might be a very good idea, with active cooling the electronics would never go into heat overload, I have seen Kingsong puts what looks like a computer cooling fan at the top of the euc case.

A small fan can make a huge difference . RC car drivers have been cooling their ESCs and their motors with these for many years now and they are very effective and reliable, even under conditions that are much more brutal than anything they will ever encounter in an EUC. And if they do fail, they just cost $3 or $4 to replace, with a generic plug that can be removed and reinserted in seconds.

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎20 at 3:01 PM, KingSong69 said:

if your v5f did not go up the hill...i would suggest no other Euc will go up better, not the v3 ?..not an e-scooter!

the small EUC's (14) have the highest torque...even better than some powerful 18" wheel!

perhaps, just perhaps the v8 will perform a little better, but not much at all!

forget about the "nominal" wattage....all those mentioned wheel have around 2-3000watt max

This morning, I tried the same hill with the Gotway MCM4 512wh normal version, and it can go up and down easily.  I checked the temperature from the app, and it is only 55 degree C.  I do not believe I could loose so much weight in a few days in make such a difference, but I do believe the MCM4 800W continuous power output is the key.  But the MCM4 is not as smooth as the V5F in handling, and its foot pedal is so low that it constantly hit the floor when making tight turns.  But I do manage to put the V5F trolley on the MCM4, just need some fine grinding to make the metal join looks better.

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

6 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

A small fan can make a huge difference . RC car drivers have been cooling their ESCs and their motors with these for many years now and they are very effective and reliable, even under conditions that are much more brutal than anything they will ever encounter in an EUC. And if they do fail, they just cost $3 or $4 to replace, with a generic plug that can be removed and reinserted in seconds.

But it could be tough to have IP55 at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, HEC said:

For all V5F owners out there - does this look like the DC IM charger port plug / socket to you?

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&SearchText=Turn+Square+Interface

Thank you.

It look like it is the same or very very similar:

c1.jpgc2.jpg

c3.jpg

Please let me know does it fit if you order. My son managed to topple down my V5F+ while it was charging and the connector is now slightly bent (works fine though).

18 hours ago, xebeche said:

Please let me know does it fit if you order. My son managed to topple down my V5F+ while it was charging and the connector is now slightly bent (works fine though).

Thanks for checking. I don't have V5F so can't really rest it myself. You can though try to measure the dimensions (7.9 x 5.5 mm).

On 9/18/2016 at 1:36 PM, Paddylaz said:

My previous wheel was the 30km/h IPS Lhotz. That struggled on some of the steep hills around me when battery was under 40ish, letting out horrible beeps of distress. 

My Lhotz struggles on the steepest hills where I live, but it always manages to reach the top (except for one hill that it never succeeds). When I say it "struggles," I mean in some cases it slows down so much that if it were any slower, it would not be moving. Interestingly, it never beeps though! My Lhotz has never beeped on a hill, even when it fails partway up. The Lhotz provides a very safe feeling when it dies on a hill. It gracefully slows down and stops. There is never a feeling that it will not keep me upright. It has never cut off.

I will reiterate here my wish that EUC companies would start working on hill performance instead of faster and faster speeds. 

On 9/12/2016 at 4:54 AM, hyiu00 said:

I have the V5D and found that after climbing a 15 degree hill continuously for about 10 minutes, it overloaded and tilted and asked me to get off.

I would say if it took 10 minutes to reach overload condition, that's very good performance. I have done some steep, sustained climbs on my IPS 121 and 191 that literally made me say "wow!" but probably 5 minutes or so.

9 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

I would say if it took 10 minutes to reach overload condition, that's very good performance. I have done some steep, sustained climbs on my IPS 121 and 191 that literally made me say "wow!" but probably 5 minutes or so.

But the MCM4 has been out for more than a year, it surprises me that hill performance for all these new wheels are actually going backward.

53 minutes ago, hyiu00 said:

it surprises me that hill performance for all these new wheels are actually going backward.

I agree, it's very disappointing. For some reason all the EUC makers seem to care about lately is speed, speed, speed. As I have stated before, if I have to get off a wheel and carry it up a hill, that wheel is NO FUN, NO MATTER HOW FAST IT CAN GO!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2016 at 9:06 AM, MaxLinux said:

My Lhotz struggles on the steepest hills where I live, but it always manages to reach the top (except for one hill that it never succeeds). When I say it "struggles," I mean in some cases it slows down so much that if it were any slower, it would not be moving. ...

I will reiterate here my wish that EUC companies would start working on hill performance instead of faster and faster speeds. 

Hi MaxLinux.  I was just about to buy an Lhotz, but my primary concern is on hills.  I live on the side of a small mountain.  My primary use case will be to head down the hill in the morning to get to the bus, and head up the hill in the evening.  My round-trip distance is about 5 miles.  The specs on the Lhotz indicate a 30 degree max hill.  I took that to mean 15 degrees easy, and probably struggling beyond that.  I've measured the slope on this hill and it's about 11 degrees, sustained for about 400 yards - a pretty long steep walk.  I would like a 16 inch wheel for stability, ride, etc.  However the engineer in me knows that a 14 inch wheel needs less torque to climb a hill.

Based on your experience with the Lhotz, am I likely to be disappointed in the hill climbing ability?  I weigh about 165.

6 hours ago, JimB said:

Based on your experience with the Lhotz, am I likely to be disappointed in the hill climbing ability?  I weigh about 165.

I weigh about 145 lbs., so probably my hill experiences are somewhat better than yours will be. I can tell you however, that I live in a very hilly area, very challenging for EUCs, and the Lhotz earns my top recommendation. Don't imagine me zooming up hills though! On tough hills sometimes the Lhotz slows down so much it is barely moving. But probably 98% of the time, it succeeds in reaching the top. For the current state of EUCs, that is a great record.

7 hours ago, JimB said:

Hi @JimB - I'd like to weigh in here (pun intended), if you don't mind...

Not only do I commute daily on an Lhotz, but I live 0.6 miles up a steep (10-13°) hill,  and I weigh in @ 220+ pounds...

From a full charge, my Lhotz will take me up the full height of the hill (2.5 miles) and from work (3 miles away), I can easily get to home and back - I can actually do it twice on a charge, but need to "pause" on the second trip.

When the battery is over 70% (during the first trip) getting from work to home is seamless - and getting back (downhill) is easy. If I don't charge up then, I can make a second return trip - but on the final 0.6 mile uphill, I will have to stop partway to let the battery "recover" momentarily before completing the trip. 

On the flat, the Lhotz is fantastic - carrying me (with luggage - okay,  lunch) wherever I need to go. It is "snappy" and agile, and the fat tyre makes it awesome for slow speed manoeuvring. 

One more thing @JimB...

You might also want to invest in a Charge Doctor - search this forum for it and you will see they are quite popular. 

If you charge your wheel at home, you can use it to only charge to ~95% - which is important as you will be starting your journey going downhill, and it leaves somewhere for the regenerated power to be stored. 

Alternatively, you could do what I do and recharge at work. Which means you get free energy...

If you do get one, mention it is for an IPS (4 pin plug) to ensure you get the right connectors. 

Archived